Poor satellite reception & Winegard data cable. Things to look at.

Lowflyr

Hope this may help some of you.

First, I had trouble locating the controller end of theWinegard data cable. Well unfortunately, the cable was exactly where the plans said it would be, on the opposite (passenger side) of the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel instead of where the TV amplifier is located on driver’s side. This made retrieving it difficult as I had to access it by going through the shoe shelve by the amplifier located on the driver’s side. Then after all that, to make matters worse, they left too much of the cable there and did not leave enough on the roof side (only about 3 ft). I then called Winegard and they only make a data extension cable from the control box to the existing cable and not from the cable to the satellite and they said the cable cannot be spliced, so basically the cable is worthless as I can’t pull it since it’s buried/tied up in the ceiling. What I ended up doing is having to drill a new hole in the roof to install the data cable that came with the SK 1000 Travler Dish, but at least I put it in a kitchen area cabinet next to the lighting panel for better access, instead of the bedroom, which I have thought is an odd location anyway. I did mention to Winegard they need to consider making an extension for the other end as I apparently am not the only one with the same/similar issues.

Next, while I was in the basement area running the new data wire, I noticed 2 of the TV RG6 cables were severely kinked (looked like they have tried to pull them too hard around a corner), which may have been one of the reasons I was getting poorer reception. In addition, I found those same TV cables were all laying across the 110V inverter and running parallel to the 110 wiring, which I've been told is a no-no, as TV cable should not be running adjacent to 110V wire as that can cause reception interference too. They say TV cable wire should only cross 110V wire at 90 degrees or be at least a foot away from. Also, all of the TV cable connectors to the wall outlets throughout the camper were loose or only finger tight.

Anyway, after I repaired the bad TV cable wires, relocated the cables away from the 110V inverter and 110V wires and tightened all the cables, my satellite reception improved by at least 75%..

Lowflyr