popping fuses

Boxrkisses

We just got to our new location and went to turn on the light switch for the living room area and found the fuse was blown. We put a new fuse in and it popped it also. Before installing a new fuse we made sure the switch was off it had done it one other time about 2 weeks ago. We tried 3 fuses, popping them all.
Any Clue what's making this happen? We do have a surge protector on the camper.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Sounds like a short in the wiring somewhere. I know that is not narrowing it down much for you.

brianharrison

Check the 12V wiring under the slide where it goes into the bottom of the slide. It may be pinched.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Boxrkisses

Thanks. ..we will check that. We can not get it into the shop for a month. I would really rather not go that long with out the lights. Do you know which slide out would be on?

danemayer

If the lights in question are in a slide out ceiling, go to that slide. If the lights are only in the main ceiling, power probably doesn't go through a slide out.

You might try pulling down light fixtures one at a time and disconnecting wires from each, and trying a new fuse, until the short goes away.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
If the lights in question are in a slide out ceiling, go to that slide. If the lights are only in the main ceiling, power probably doesn't go through a slide out.

You might try pulling down light fixtures one at a time and disconnecting wires from each, and trying a new fuse, until the short goes away.

Dan,

I'm going to suggest that he do something a little different - using a Multi-meter ( if you don't have one - you should ) with the settings on resistance/continuity check the lights that are not working ( first with the switch off and then with the switch on - assuming you have one switch that turns them on ) pull the cover off the light in question and remove the bulb check continuity between the center and side element of the socket. if it reads "0" or tones ( continuity ) then you have a short - if it does not read "0" or tone with the switch off - but does with the switch on then the short is on the fuse side of the switch ... this will direct you to look at least on one side or the other of the switch for your short.

wdk450

All:
I think we are all adding good suggestions, but here is my take on this.
First of all, you mentioned having a surge protector. Well, this is an AC power device, and has no effect whatsoever on the 12 volt DC circuits used in the lighting, etc.

Second, my first move would be get a good stock of fuses, then remove the light bulbs from the lights, and try the lights switch again to see if the fuse still blows. This will tell you if your problem is bulb-socket related or not. If the fuse doesn't blow, then check out your fixtures for socket area shorts. You can easily remove the socketsfrom the circuit by unscrewing their mounting screws, and disconnecting their wire nuts. Then do the fuse blow test again. No fuse blow means the problem is with the lights you removed. Beyond this it starts getting into wiring run through walls, ceilings and possibly slides. For the length of your campout, you may have to run temporary 12 volt wires duct taped to your walls/ceiling from the switch to the lights. Then you can get some heavy duty circuit troubleshooting done when you get home. You will need duct tape, wire and wire nuts. Be sure to wire in the ground return in your temporary circuits, too.

Good luck!!!

Westwind

Reminder - watch your wires if they are live, I had a problem in my 12V panel box where the wire behind the fuse was not connected properly. Once I replaced the spade connector and made sure the wire was tight we were all set, but the wire/connector were burned. I wasn't burning a fuse though.