Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

jayc

Legendary Member
I sent an email to Bob Tiedge at Lippert today asking him about any solutions that they have come up with. As soon as I hear back from him, I'll post it here.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
I honestly don't know what affects is anymore! We hadn't had any 'popping' since April when we were in Gulf Shores. We have now been back at our 'home base' since then with one weekend trip to Huntsville. We had no 'popping' until about 2 weeks ago. It now 'pops' at night again. Not nearly as bad as it was in the spring - but enough to be irritating.

jayc

Legendary Member
I got a note from Bob saying that he is traveling and will update when more information becomes available.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Jay, just some FYI. We are in MI parked in the grass with the landing legs on 4x4s and we have popping.

It doesn't bother me to much but drives Stacy insane.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I think they know how to fix the problem. They just dont want to have to recall and replace all the ones they have out their

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
I too have the popping with our KL. My experience with hydraulics makes me suspect very small quantities of fluid is bleeding past the valve/manifold keeping everything in place. The leak volume is so low there will not be an apreciable change in height. You would need to be on one location a very long term to be able to measure any change and you would have to measure each leg since all four legs are isolated (i think). The popping is the movement of the cylinders/rods and it should be louder when you are on cement ve asphalt or gravel due to the density of the base. Sound travels through solids faster and sounds louder.

I would not mind hearing from the Lippert boys on this but that is my opinion.:)

danemayer

Sound travels through solids faster and sounds louder.
Interesting Tom. Everything I've seen and heard on this previously theorized that the sound difference on different surfaces was due to concrete not allowing micro-adjustments in the landing jack position. I think this is the first time I've seen a theory that we might just be getting an amplification of the sound accompanying these little movements. Might also explain why using cutting boards seems to help.

Our rig is in storage and on it's way to the shop for other repair or I'd run a test. Maybe someone could try putting felt pads under the jacks to test this. I would expect the felt to absorb any sounds rather than to transmit them to the concrete. Walmart and Home Depot sell round stick-on pads of various sizes for chair feet. A few of those might do the job for a test.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
OK, I have one issue with this whole thing. I cannot hear the popping noise outside.

I have the 6 point level up system on my 2011 Big Horn 3610RE. This pop sound must just be isolated on certain RVs. I have not ever heard this on my unit. I have traveled thru 15 states, different temps, different elevation and different lengths of stay. I use the large plastic pads under all my jacks, even the rear electric stabilizers. This has to be very annoying for those that have the problem.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have the 6 point level up system on my 2011 Big Horn 3610RE. This pop sound must just be isolated on certain RVs. I have not ever heard this on my unit. I have traveled thru 15 states, different temps, different elevation and different lengths of stay. I use the large plastic pads under all my jacks, even the rear electric stabilizers. This has to be very annoying for those that have the problem.

Count your blessings...and yes, it definitely can be annoying!

porthole

Retired

I also have 6 point and no pops.
Maybe it has to do with some trailer snot havering jacks angled. Mine are straight.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have the 4 point. 2 angled in the front and 2 straight behind the wheels. No pops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Same problem and it's getting worse. Has there been a "fix"made available yet? It's driving us and our neighbors crazy!

There are a few things you can try and a lot depends on the type of surface you're on. Try placing some of those thin plastic cutting sheets under the front landing gear feet. This should allow the feet to "slide" when the temperature changes affect the jacks and cause the pop. For us, this worked well when we were on concrete and the overnight temps got pretty chilly. We also use a 10" square by 3" thick piece of wood on the ground with the plastic between the jack pad and the wood.

Thanks! We'll try that.
I can only assume there is no real "fix" yet. It's unfortunate since the folks parked around us were admiring the Landmark until they heard the popping!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have to knock on wood, we haven't experienced the popping syndrome yet. Maybe it's our older 4 point system, or maybe we're just lucky. Or, could be my good looks 😄.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pizzaguy

Our dealer tried to fix our system last fall just before we put our BH into winter storage. They thought there may be air in the system. We may not know if this worked until temps warm up in June. Is Lippert going to step up to the plate and cover the repairs after our 1 year Heartland warranty expires in May?? I know exactly what you mean about people admiring the camper until they hear the popping. Sometimes the people are 2-3 sites away and hear the noise and ask what the noise is.