Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

danemayer

Is Lippert going to step up to the plate and cover the repairs after our 1 year Heartland warranty expires

The jacks are warranted by Lippert even if you are within the 1 year Heartland Warranty. I don't know what the length of Lippert's warranty is on the leveling system, but a lot of their stuff is also 1 year. The real question is: if Lippert takes 2 years to figure out what's wrong, will they fix the people who've been listening to the noise the whole time that Lippert's been working on the problem? I guess we'll find out.

Pizzaguy

The real question is: if Lippert takes 2 years to figure out what's wrong, will they fix the people who've been listening to the noise the whole time that Lippert's been working on the problem? I guess we'll find out.

That is my question!!! The rest of the rig has been great if we didn't have to listen to the popping.

dglatta

We also have had people interested in our Landmark Key Largo (and our previous Landmark Augusta) but back away when they hear the popping. This has got to be costing Heartland sales! WE LOVE OUR LANDMARK and right now, in the frozen tundra that is Texas this winter :eek:, we haven't heard much from the system. We hear the problem mostly when the weather is warmer and fluctuating. We have 3-4 plastic blocks under each of our jacks and are camped on a concrete pad.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have 3-4 plastic blocks under each of our jacks and are camped on a concrete pad.

Dave, this is just a guess. I would think the plastic blocks, I assume you're talking about those yellow or orange staking blocks, would actually accentuate the noise.
I would go with wood. Buy a 2 X 12 and cut it into square pieces. Put a thin cutting sheet in between the jack pad and the wood. This should greatly reduce or eliminate the popping.

I sold my yellow stackers a while back. The wood is a bit heavier but I feel it's a more secure foot for the jacks. Just my nickel:eek:.

jayc

Legendary Member
My popping noise has come back worse than ever so I am going to add plastic blocks to the wood blocks being used to see if that works.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are using the standard stacking blocks, one of them, to put under the front legs. It has cut down the popping quite a bit. I still believe it is the Coach actually moving a little as the weather condition changes.

We are using the standard stacking blocks, one of them, to put under the front legs. It has cut down the popping quite a bit. I still believe it is the Coach actually moving a little as the weather condition changes.

Yesterday, we put wooden blocks under the front and rear jacks. The popping was noticeably less until the sunshine hit them this morning and the popping began again. :( I agree that temperature change plays a big part in this.

Jay, please let us know if the plastic blocks worked for you. :)

I don't have much of a guess but I can tell you what we do.... and this might not help everyone as we have only relocated a few in the last 7 months. We too had the awful popping to the extent that you could feel the house move and it would wake you. The loudest popping seemed to be temperature related but just moving about the house caused it. I did notice that the longer the stroke of the leg the worse it was. I installed a tripod and tighten the holy cramolies out of it. I use solid cinderlocks with plywood caps to try and keep the stroke length to a min. I built 4 twist Jack's out of rigid conduit and all-thread. I place one about 4 ft. behind the front landing gear at the very end of the drop frame and a longer one right in front of the front wheel. I tighten the heck out of these as well It takes about an hour to install all this extra stuff but it seems to take a lot of weight off the level up system and within a day or two the popping stops. I'm not making excuses for the poor design and system flaws but sharing what works for me. I, much like most hope that when a fix does come about that Heartland and Lippert make good on it to those of us that have been so patient. Lippert has a pretty bad name within the industry with frame issues and the level up system. I hope heartland doesn't allow lippert to drag them down much longer. Does anyone know if there is a list to get on to let lippert and heartland know we have a popper?

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I would think if lippert plan was to to take care of everybody problem with the popping noise when they find a fix they would have contacted everybody by now and that hasn't happen

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Usually they way these things work, unless there is an official recall, once they find a fix, they wait till the owner contacts them and then they will fix it. Most companies won't go out looking for people with issues....

jbeletti

Hi All, Wanted to let you know that I spoke to Lippert here at the Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa about the popping issue. They continue to test this and listen to RVers to collect as much data as they can to arrive at a solution. They asked me to ask those having this popping issue to call Lippert to have a case opened. Premise being that at such time they have the root cause determined and a solution available, that they have a database of those to contact back to effect a solution. So - this is all I know and all I can tell you. If you have this popping in your hydraulic leveling system, get hold of Lippert. If you're looking for a permanent solution from Lippert today, they don't have one. Thanks, Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim...in your discussion with Lippert, did they say if this is just a Heartland issue, or do other manufacturers who use this system have the same problem? I've not seen this discussed on other forums...just curious.

jayc

Legendary Member
Thanks Jim. I have read about some Forest River products having similar problems, so we are apparently not alone.

hcriddle

Jay, for those of us who got on your list do we need to contact Lippert to open a case or are we included in your list that you sent them when you were gathering info?

jayc

Legendary Member
Buddy, it would probably be better for everyone to call and open their own cases. that way if they had any questions or needed a VIN they could supply it.

My popping has stopped at least temporarily, even before I added the plastic blocks, but I'm still reporting the problem.

hcriddle

Thanks will do. We camped over Thanksgiving for little over a week and the temps changed a lot but we did not have any popping like I had when I was full timing it last winter.

Have not checked all the comments here but seems the issues reported are related to the levelling systems. However we have just taken delivery of a 2013BC with just the basic front hydaulic jacks and we find these too pop. Seems to be temp related, pop late evenning and in the morning only, but often the 'pop' can be felt in bed. I think we'll also place a call to Lippert....

jbeletti

Jim...in your discussion with Lippert, did they say if this is just a Heartland issue, or do other manufacturers who use this system have the same problem? I've not seen this discussed on other forums...just curious.

Kathy - I met with Bob Tiedge today. He said it is NOT limited to Heartland.