Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

marvmarcy

I tried the Thorco RFF 15, and it doesn't help at all! I followed the directions posted on this forum. When it didn't help stop the popping and shaking yesterday, I recycled all hydraulics (levelers and slides). It popped and shook all night as it cooled, then popped and shook all morning as it warmed up. I recycled the hydraulics again this afternoon, thinking the fluid may not be mixed well enough yet, and it is still popping and shaking every 3-5 minutes as it cools, often from several places at the same time. Has anyone else tried "the magic fix" and had it not work? If I'm the only one, then Lippert needs to replace all my hydraulic levelers. This has happened since my rig was new, and its as bad or worse now than ever.

danemayer

I tried the Thorco RFF 15, and it doesn't help at all! I followed the directions posted on this forum. When it didn't help stop the popping and shaking yesterday, I recycled all hydraulics (levelers and slides). It popped and shook all night as it cooled, then popped and shook all morning as it warmed up. I recycled the hydraulics again this afternoon, thinking the fluid may not be mixed well enough yet, and it is still popping and shaking every 3-5 minutes as it cools, often from several places at the same time. Has anyone else tried "the magic fix" and had it not work? If I'm the only one, then Lippert needs to replace all my hydraulic levelers. This has happened since my rig was new, and its as bad or worse now than ever.

Please call Lippert. They're keeping track and want to get feedback.

andy

I dont have the level up system but it sounds like you need something slippery between your blocks an the leg pads . You might try some 1/8 or 1/4in teflon or get one of the plastic discs that goes over your hitch pin an cut it in two just to try it .Just make sure your blocks are smooth

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Did my Torco RFF15 replacement yesterday during the day. Will have to wait for the results since weather here in Northeast is holding steady at COLD.

funntheson

I have my RFF 15 at home, but haven't done the "magic fix" yet. I won't be surprised if it doesn't work.

I have been at two different spots with my trailer over the last week, with temperatures ranging from 40 to the low 80's. In both spots, the jacks are sitting in loose rocks versus solid dirt or pavement. I have not heard the popping at all!

I mentioned this "phenomenon" in a post quite some time ago. So, please tell me how changing the fluid would have any impact on this?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Our Bighorn was the same way...no popping on gravel, but drove us nuts on our concrete lot until I shortened the stroke of the pistons on the low side if the lot...temps did not seem to be our issue.

Have had no problem out of the Landmark...but we always shorten the stroke on low side no matter where we are.

marvmarcy

Please call Lippert. They're keeping track and want to get feedback.

Bob from Lippert just called, and we had a delightful conversation. I feel relieved that Lippert is truly concerned about this issue. I'll let the forum know when it is resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We have not added anything to our Landmark yet as we are waiting for the 'official' word from Lippert as to what they want us to do. We were parking in Vancouver, WA for a month on pavement and the popping/shaking was the worst its ever been. We are traveling east now and for the last week we've been parked on gravel with temps ranging from 32 - 80s (and snow even!) and have had absolutely NO popping or shaking whatsoever!

Eddhuy

I dont have the level up system but it sounds like you need something slippery between your blocks an the leg pads . You might try some 1/8 or 1/4in teflon or get one of the plastic discs that goes over your hitch pin an cut it in two just to try it .Just make sure your blocks are smooth

Problem occurs on pavement but not when on gravel. Andy may be onto something.

Pizzaguy

Problem occurs on pavement but not when on gravel. Andy may be onto something.

We park on gravel most of the time and have the popping. I just received my Torco " magic fix " and hope to get it done this week if the rain ever stops.

wdk450

I was thinking that while parking on concrete/asphalt you could place a poly levelling pad under each of the landing gear legs to maybe allow the legs to move a bit like they would on gravel.

hoopers2

I just got back from a 3 day camping trip. Before I left, I added a qt of RFF 7. No popping at all this last weekend.. Granted, I was camped on dirt, but before this weekend, I had camped on sand, dirt, and concrete under various temps from cold to hot. All times before, it always popped some amount usually in the evenings after it got dark.
So this is the FIRST trip with no popping. So I am hopeful.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I just got back from a 3 day camping trip. Before I left, I added a qt of RFF 7. No popping at all this last weekend.. Granted, I was camped on dirt, but before this weekend, I had camped on sand, dirt, and concrete under various temps from cold to hot. All times before, it always popped some amount usually in the evenings after it got dark.
So this is the FIRST trip with no popping. So I am hopeful.

Maybe it's not temperature, but light sensitive. Seems to be when the sun is coming up or going down? hmmm.

funntheson

Bob from Lippert just called, and we had a delightful conversation. I feel relieved that Lippert is truly concerned about this issue. I'll let the forum know when it is resolved.

I refuse to be impressed that Lippert is finally taking an interest in solving this problem. I first complained about this issue well over two years ago, where was the call then? Why has it taken so long? For the amount of money that we pay for these units, we shouldn't have to put up with this kind of problem. Further more, why are we having to pay for "the fix" out of our own pockets when it is clearly a flaw with the hydraulic system?

marvmarcy

I suspect this problem is far more complex than any of us realize. First, only a small percentage of the thousands of rigs with Level-Up have this problem. Second, some solutions ( blocks, pads, gravel vs concrete, etc.) work for some rigs and not for others. I've had the problem with and without all of these solutions. I'm currently on a level gravel site on blocks with short leg extension. Still pops alot. Third, Lippert isn't the only hydraulic leveling system that has had this problem, although Lippert has far more systems on rv trailers than any other company.

I'm not defending Lippert's slow response to this problem but trying to provide some perspective. However, Lippert needs to provide relief soon.

DonMac

What's the verdict on the additive?

What is the verdict on the additive for the landing gear folks? No more popping? I have not done this yet. Waiting for the reviews. I will say that we have been in the same location for 5 months. We have hitched up and releveled 4 times. Every time the popping stops for about one week then begins again. We are on gravel with 4" concrete pads topped with plywood. Just would like to know if the additive has made a change because I am ready for one:).

funntheson

Have you tried leveling directly on the gravel? I have has the most success (least popping) when leveled on loose rocks/gravel, with maybe one 2" board under each front jack.

DonMac

I have tried everything but the additive. Pops no matter what! In AZ. Cool at night. Hot during the day. Pop,pop,pop. No matter what type of ground I am on. It is a temp thing. Have had the landing gear on every type of surface and still pops.