Popular Mechanics Test

bgilm

ok...gm had a 373 rear end...as anyone knows if you have a lower ratio rear end (4.10 or 4.30) it is BETTER FOR TOWING AND KEEPING THE LOAD MOVING. The gm beat the other two with a higher speed rear end which should have been a big disadvantage in a towing comparison as well as fuel mileage while towing

Loco

Everyone loves their trucks. Most folks like one Name and stick with it for life. I like my Fords. I have two F-350 a 7.3 and 6.0 (The wifes truck). We pull our rig with the wife's 6.0 and my best friend pulls hes with a GMC he will not own any other make. But I hate to make him look bad. But our Power Stroke ate him up on Mount Eagle mountain in Tenn. He just could not keep up with our Ford.It may be that I am a better driver. But our Stroker never even slowed down pulling over 24000 lbs up that 4% grade.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Loco
Up here in BC a 4% grade is an easy loaf up a slight incline. We have an easy 7 mile pull up 6%+ within 150 miles of us...then we have to pay a $10 toll when we reach to top!!

nhunter

sailorand said:
Loco
Up here in BC a 4% grade is an easy loaf up a slight incline. We have an easy 7 mile pull up 6%+ within 150 miles of us...then we have to pay a $10 toll when we reach to top!!

Is that the Coquahalla by chance. Beautiful and very fast.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
hunter
Yes it is the coqu. Great and fast but it can be very brutal when you see all of the burn spots in the pavement from superheated vehicles. (fire)

jbeletti

Hey Rand,

You mentioned Coqu below. I wouldn't have know what that meant earlier today, had we not gotten a new user sign up for the forum today from Port Coquitlam.

You've got a Cyclone owner nearby. User name is Paul Ravensbergen.

Jim

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I've driven the Coq but I think through Vail was steeper, up to 8% grades?

Jim, the Coquihalla Highway goes from Hope through to Kamloops. I think it's summit is about 5,000 ft but I might be wrong. There is a Coquitlam (where I grew up) and a Port Coquitlam (where I raised my children). Those are both suburbs of Vancouver.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
alkyspeed said:
Not to start a fire but -- I guess this is real life.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/wm/b108e8c2-25df-4054-8090-
98af013f4333.htm
No fires here just a question out of curiosity. What was that panel in the GM truck that was showing temps and mph? Was it a tuner? Was it on? Was the Dodge stock? The guy obviously has no idea what his load weighed compared to a Cougar and Jeep. I'd guess the Jeep and Cougar at 13K total vs. Big gooseneck trlr and U-haul truck at 16K? Just a guess now. Yup, I own a Chevy and it's been pulled away from by all brands. This guy is just an idiot driving like that with such a load. It was funny how frustrated he was though:p .

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I agree Ray, the guy was a fool. I drive according to the load and road conditions. Have been passed by Dodges, Fords, Chevys and other GMCs. If they want to abuse their vehicles by doing more than they are designed for, that is their business and money. I want my truck to last and drive it accordingly.

Forrest Fetherolf

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
If you go to a forum called "The Diesel Place" you will find a lot of info on the 2nd Generation Duramax, the LLY engine, and the overheating problems that have been occuring with a large majority of them. I have a 2004.5 LLY engine, so I am a bit concerned about it. I watch my gauges closely when I tow and so far, knock on wood, I have not had any problems. But if I do start having problems, I will be installing an aftermarket cooling kit. The overheating of the LLY engines is a valid concern, and so far GM has been unwilling to address it.

mufflerman

I towed my 3795 cyclone with a 05 LLY with no overheating what so ever, And now I have the LBZ, Both were chipped, LBZ definitely has more power, possibly because of the 6 spd? Truck and trailer hit the scales at 26,400lbs and the only rigs that have out pulled me was ??? nothing comes to mind. :p

nhunter

Makes you wonder what condition his engine is in as he drove with the overheated condition for 5 minutes and never once thought about slowing down. Yikes

bgilm

I dont blame him for not slowing down. I had an overheating lly that gm wouldnt fix...I triedmto blow it up on purpose so that they would do something...you cant the computer will shut it down before it ever damages the engine (thats what I was told anyway0

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Oldlthrneck said:
If you go to a forum called "The Diesel Place" you will find a lot of info on the 2nd Generation Duramax, the LLY engine, and the overheating problems that have been occuring with a large majority of them. I have a 2004.5 LLY engine, so I am a bit concerned about it. I watch my gauges closely when I tow and so far, knock on wood, I have not had any problems. But if I do start having problems, I will be installing an aftermarket cooling kit. The overheating of the LLY engines is a valid concern, and so far GM has been unwilling to address it.

I've got the same truck and have not had any problems. I have worked it pretty hard , some steep grades thrown in and lots of long miles. I wonder sometimes if some of the problems relate to after market products that just don't agree with certain trucks. I guess if something does change for us there is a kit to fix the problem and nice to know. I do plan on changing my air filter intake to vent outside from probably the same place that has the kit.....Ken

BluegrassMan

Guy's:
I just got back home from a 2 week trip to KY from PA. Through MD,WVA,KY, I encountered some LONG hills at 6% (5mile ones). My 6.4 KR Ford did WAY better than my old 96 Dodge V10. So I'm very happy....We all buy what we like, I just like the looks of a King Ranch. Never been much of a GM type guy. I did like a Caddy that I had though. I've been getting lots of compliments at the fuel stops on my rig. The Companys all make good trucks AND they all make bad ones too.