Porch and Scare Light

Looking for some help. We just have been out to our RV and the porch and scare lights are not working. Checked the light bulb for the porch light and it looked OK. Checked the 12V fuse and it appears to be OK. Same fuse for the porch and scare lights (porch light on one switch and the scare lights on a different switch). I switch a 15 amp fuse with another working fuse, no lights. Also, the red led indicator light next to the fuse does not 'light up' when the fuse is pulled. No other problems with the electrical. Ideas?

danemayer

Hi millercoast,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'd take a look at the back side of the two switches involved to see if a wire has come off. Since both are failing, and on the same circuit, start with the switch closest to the fuse box.

Also, I'm assuming when you swapped fuses, you checked the other circuit to make sure it still worked after you were finished. Sometimes it can be hard to visually determine if a fuse is blown. And the LED next to the fuse only illuminates if the fuse is blown AND there's a load on the circuit - so the switches would have to be on when looking at the LED.

Always helpful to have a volt meter.

hoefler

Replace the bulb with a known good bulb from another working light fixture. A bulb can look good, but it is really bad, you can check the bulb with a Ohm meter.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the red led would only light up if the fuse was bad and a load (the switch in the on position) on the circuit. We'll check the wiring again more carefully. If the wires are connected correctly, what else could be the problem?

Thanks!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Grab a test light or ohm meter and see if you have power at the switch. If you do, then turn the switch on and test the other side, if you have power there then go to the light and test to see if you have power there. You can start at the light and work your way back or at the fuse panel also. that's really the only way to find the weak link.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Was the fuse blown?? Have you had alot of rain where your at?? A light full of water will blow a fuse every time. Throwing a thought in the wind.