Port-A-Deck vs GlowStep Revolution

sjandbj

I don't remember exactly, but I would say about 2 hours or so. Removing the old steps takes longer than installing the new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two hours is a very generous time. You should be able to take pictures ,before and after, have a cold or warm drink and still have the steps installed. It took me about 1 hour to do the job. I had someone help me raise the steps into position to get the bolts started then it is a one person job.

Steve

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thxs for your evaluation Erika. I'm working the rv show in a couple of weeks and will walk around to see if there are steps.
B-----

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Two hours is a very generous time. You should be able to take pictures ,before and after, have a cold or warm drink and still have the steps installed. It took me about 1 hour to do the job. I had someone help me raise the steps into position to get the bolts started then it is a one person job.

Steve

Steve, glad it went smoothly for you! Projects always take us longer than we anticipated.

Oregon_Camper

Steve

Any job I can do with a cold beer during the process, seems like a job I should do....:)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
So does that mean that installing the steps is a "Two beer job"? :)

Probably . . . maybe three or four beers! :eek:

I'll let you know!

We've got a set on the way and will install them in January when we have some decent weather. :cool:

Skywrench

Full Timer
It took me about 2 hours to remove the old steps and install the new ones. I could have done it quicker but on the first attempt, I had the bolt heads installed backwards which prevented the GlowSteps from rotating into position when stowed. I also was able to complete the installation by myself without help. The instructions tell you how to do it by yourself, just temporarily remove the steps from the frame to make the frame lighter while you install it.

Speedy

Have any of you looked at the MorRyde Step Above steps that are being installed OEM on Montana's? I saw on at a dealership in for service but the door was locked so going up and down them was not an option.

1475850483-handrail.jpg

THBarnett

Solid Steps

I am thinking of putting in Lippert solid steps or something equivalent for my dad since he had bad knees and balance issues. He likes to visit when we go camping, and I think i would be safer for him. Has anyone used them? They look more stable than regular fold out steps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skywrench

Full Timer
Have any of you looked at the MorRyde Step Above steps that are being installed OEM on Montana's? I saw on at a dealership in for service but the door was locked so going up and down them was not an option.

1475850483-handrail.jpg

I believe those are the ones that stow inside the door, correct? I've only seen pictures of them. It's a neat idea, kind of like stairs found on small aircraft.

danemayer

Re: Solid Steps

I am thinking of putting in Lippert solid steps or something equivalent for my dad since he had bad knees and balance issues. He likes to visit when we go camping, and I think i would be safer for him. Has anyone used them? They look more stable than regular fold out steps.

The Lippert Solid Step looks very similar to the MorRyde solution.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

1475850483-handrail.jpg

Rxbristol (Rex) has these and really likes them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Saw those on a SoB at the Novi RV show last October. Different.
Not too sure they can be retrofitted to an older rig, though. They fold up into the rig in one piece through the door opening and don't collapse smaller.

With the Porta-Deck, the steps are called Porta-Steps and can be used without the deck by placing the folding top panel over the OEM steps, giving a small platform at the top.

Just info, not a sales pitch.

Last edited:

Speedy

As Rana (Wife) said, to be sure before purchasing any they need to be test driven. So need to plan on a RV show soon I guess.

mlpeloquin

How much further, if at all, do the Glow Steps stick out from the RV vs the OEM quad steps?

I have also been in a tighter spaces and moved the stairs in a few inches for room. They are still firm and work well. So you can adjust them in and out some. They do stick out more because they go completely to the ground. So no more room, perhaps less, as having an independent step added for height at the bottom of the OEM steps.

Erika, the first step out of the camper looks like it drops more than the rest of the steps. Do you notice the first drop lower more than the others?

This depends on the slope of the terrain the feet of the steps are going down to. The feet adjust up and down independently and the top of the stairs have three levels as well. So it can be less, the same, or a greater drop depending on the setting. I have used the same drop most of the time. Some rustic settings sites drop off and the adjustment of the stairs adjust to it easy.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are supposed to hit 70 degrees tomorrow (Friday), so I may try to get my Glow Steps installed.

I'll take photos and post!

Out with the old . . .

GSsteps-PC220543.jpg

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
We are supposed to hit 70 degrees tomorrow (Friday), so I may try to get my Glow Steps installed.

I'll take photos and post!

Out with the old . . .

Better be quick, our rain will get to you before you know it!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Our Glowstep Revolution steps have been installed for about three weeks. We Love them. No bounce at all steady as a rock.