Porta-boat vs inflatable

Mattman

Anyone have experience with using either of these. Mostly in the RVing context. I would like to be able do some fishing with the kids while camping. The inflatables look fun, but the HD ones seem to way a lot. Especially if I want big enough for kids and gear. I also hear they can take a while to dry out before you store it. I like the porta boats, but looking for some more feed back before I get to serious about it.
If you have any experiences let me know.
Thanks

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have an inflatable that is similar to what is used by the Navy Seals, the exception is I have a aluminum section floor so you are not standing on the bottom of the inflatable. I have used it a couple of times with the procedure of folding it up after each trip and what a PAIN this is! Not to mention the weight and the 35 hp Mercury Outboard!!!!! I decided to buy a boat trailer and leave it inflated and tow it when needed. Now of course I don't do this behind my RV, I only use it when I go out for the day to relax.My Achilles is a 4 man boat and can't imagine taking it on a RV trip. Good Luck in your search!

BarbandFrank

We have a SeaEagle inflatable Fast Track 385 kayak and love it. The two person kayak weighs about 32 pounds. It handles beautifully in the water. We purchased it from inflatableboats4less.com. Their website has info and videos on all the different models. The kayak folds up into an easy to carry package that contains seats, paddles and supplies. It can be stowed in the RV basement or in the back seat of a vehicle. The quality of the materials is excellent and the boat tracks very well. Its perfect for RVers.

Barb

SNOKING

Porta-boat most likely would be much quicker to put together and take apart. Inflatables do not row worth a darn and are very limited in interior space. They are very sea worthy however. Inflatables are difficult to move around on a beach.

You should be able to make a box like others have done to carry a Porta-boat under your trailer.

Chris

Oregon_Camper

We had a Porta-boat for about 4-5 years when the kids were younger...we sold it and move to Kayaks.

It served us very well over the time we had it. It will fold up into the size of about 2 surf boards on top of each other...a little thinner at each end. Once you get familiar with it, it will take you about 15 mins to put together.

Note...the floor is not that stable...ok for small kids to move around but an adult will have a harder time. The reason is the floor is somewhat flexible. Not a deal breaker...just letting you know.

Here is my son and I out for an afternoon of fishing...you can just see my parents motorhome is WAAAY upper left. :cool:

Capture.jpg

Mattman

We had a Porta-boat for about 4-5 years when the kids were younger...we sold it and move to Kayaks.

It served us very well over the time we had it. It will fold up into the size of about 2 surf boards on top of each other...a little thinner at each end. Once you get familiar with it, it will take you about 15 mins to put together.

Note...the floor is not that stable...ok for small kids to move around but an adult will have a harder time. The reason is the floor is somewhat flexible. Not a deal breaker...just letting you know.

Here is my son and I out for an afternoon of fishing...you can just see my parents motorhome is WAAAY upper left. :cool:

View attachment 50366

Looks like a nice little peaceful spot there.

What you guys have said is what else i have read on various other spots on line while doing some research. So sounds like what I have been reading is pretty accurate. I would be able to strap it right to the roof rack on my excursion. So not an issue for storing or transporting.

Thanks for input. Now I just got get one.

Aandaar

I to have a Porta Bote. My wife and I love it.

We have used both with pulling the 5th and without.

This photo is of our current setup with 5hp motor.
c9e37fecb37483731278341b19e190ff.jpg

Here are a couple of photos transporting without the trailer.

d4a41db725ac72d76ecf48f07cb24187.jpg

708cd30437a4a898a93004133d7df994.jpg

I don't have a photo with trailer hooked up. But all I do is move the rear support to the front hitch and the boat slides forward out over the front of the truck.

We have the 14ft model.

When looking for a motor I would suggest that you purchase a propane power one. LEHR makes a 2.5, 5, 9.9, and 15hp. We are running the 5 on a 14 footer and it is ok for smaller lakes but no speed demon. But at only about 47pounds make it very user friendly.

Also because it is propane the wife lets me store it in the house and haul it in the trailer next to the bed.

IMO the 5 is ok but I am considering an upgrade to the 10 for a little more speed at full throttle.

Oh and setup and pack up is about 10 to 15 minutes.

Hope this info helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk