Portable Generator

B

brickman

I also have the max 4400E (Electric start), $50 more and well worth it. I,m 62 years and can easily put the thing in my PU. I have 2 AC units that work fine with the nuker on also. KEEP IN MIND you have to run in 120V to get enough amps. Go on max power web site, they have adapters, or easily make one. Max has a diagram, 69dBA. With AC on you can't hear the thing. I made up a coed and leave it it PU full time. It sits under rail line with wheels on.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
does anyone out there know how to tune a honda 3000is to run above beter above 5000'

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I believe the carburator just has to be leaned out but I'm not sure how much.I know a honda shop can do it but I don't know if they will tell me how as I'm only at about 7000' for three months then I use it at lower altitudes.And I don't want to take it in everytime I change altitudes.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think I will agree with Ray. I remember reading that they need to be re-jetted.

Peace
Dave

truknutt

Committed Member
I believe the carburator just has to be leaned out but I'm not sure how much.I know a honda shop can do it but I don't know if they will tell me how as I'm only at about 7000' for three months then I use it at lower altitudes.And I don't want to take it in everytime I change altitudes.

Searched for your problem and found this comment from another forum:

HIGH ALTITUDE OPERATION ISSUES / JET or REJETTING ABILITY:
I live at 5280' and camp there and at altitudes above 7500' on occasion. Without a high altitude carbeurator jet at altitudes above 4000', you risk gumming up or carbonizing the engine with a rich fuel mixture that results from lower air pressure and less dense air at these altitudes. Besides that, fuel economy is terrible at this altitude with the wrong jet. For an occasional trip to the mountains for most sea-level folks, it's not a big deal. For someone who lives above 4000', having the wrong jets could dramatically shorten the life of the generator. Can the generators be rejetted, and for how much?

Honda EU3000is: YES, $10 parts 30 min labor
(unit can be rejetted at home by someone with marginal mechanical skills in 15-20 minutes).

Some dealers have provided mixed responses regarding high-altitude jetting. One or more 'factory dealers' have said high-altitude jets were simply not available. I have found at least one factory service-authorized dealer who was prepared to order the high-altitude kit for me on the spot and provided a part number and price. The two dealers that confirmed price and availability (part numbers) were:

Wise Sales (http://www.WiseSales.com) - Ask for John
Hayes Equipment (http://www.HayesEquipment.com) - Ask for Scott

Hope this helps.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Gang:
Have any of you mounted these generators in the front generator compartment of the trailer? What fresh air and exhaust ventilation modifications are needed? How do you keep refueling safe and not burn up the rig?

Do NOT try this...we did it several years ago with our Yamaha 3000. Had all bay doors wide open and a fan running to exhaust fumes...still bent a valve from getting too hot. Luckily it cost less than $200 to repair, but we learned our lesson!!!:rolleyes: