Positioning

Niles

Help, been trying to get us out of the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Gabon,Africa. Don't even remember the drive. Keeping the BH afloat is getting harder all the time though. I'm trying to get back to Indiana. I've tried everything and not having any luck getting back. Hurry the sharks are starting to circle!!!!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Help, been trying to get us out of the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Gabon,Africa. Don't even remember the drive. Keeping the BH afloat is getting harder all the time though. I'm trying to get back to Indiana. I've tried everything and not having any luck getting back. Hurry the sharks are starting to circle!!!!

Try this one...puts you in Moyock NC.

lat 47.87214396888731
longitude -106.34765625

Your problem is the longitude with the current location:

lat 40.084687850619
long 86.292718920517

Which puts you somewhere in northwestern China.

FYI...you are not in the ocean. Not only are you lost, your map reading skills are just a tad weak, too.

You get one free pickup from the Heartlandowners.org Rescue Squad. After that, you get a bill. Somebodies gotta pay for Beletti's toys.

PS...bring me some goat meat & noodles. Yum! Yum!:D

Niles

Went from the ocean to China,quick trip, think I found my way home as last though. Sure am glad the price of fuel had come down, never could of afforded all this travel today.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hello Niles
If you try this you might have less problems the next time you move your pin.

Go into the HOP and start double clicking on the map until you get close to where your located. As you drill down you will notice that the Long and Lat on the right is changing. When you get down to where you are located take and copy the long and lat to the notepad.

Then click on the menu above that says [Your Entry].
Enter all the information for Location and Marker.
Then copy the Long in its field and the Lat in its field.
Scroll down and click on the "Update the Information" button..
Now you got it all done and it is quite easy..

Hope this helps you and anyone else.

BTW.. If you don't keep your HOP up to date I won't be able to come by and bum a cold brewski..

geeksrus

Hello Niles
If you try this you might have less problems the next time you move your pin.

Go into the HOP and start double clicking on the map until you get close to where your located. As you drill down you will notice that the Long and Lat on the right is changing. When you get down to where you are located take and copy the long and lat to the notepad.

Then click on the menu above that says [Your Entry].
Enter all the information for Location and Marker.
Then copy the Long in its field and the Lat in its field.
Scroll down and click on the "Update the Information" button..
Now you got it all done and it is quite easy..

Hope this helps you and anyone else.

BTW.. If you don't keep your HOP up to date I won't be able to come by and bum a cold brewski..

You are kidding regarding this KLUGEY method of getting the location indicator to stay at the correct position. This is a COMPUTER application... the system manager should be able to fix the problem.

Eh!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
You are kidding regarding this KLUGEY method of getting the location indicator to stay at the correct position. This is a COMPUTER application... the system manager should be able to fix the problem.

Eh!

This "Kludgy" method is pretty much how it's done all over. Even putting in my datastorm address over on the official datastorm map is pretty much done the same way.:(

I know it's a pain in the keister..but, that's the way that it is.

This app simply expects you to know, in it's format, what your current location is. It takes your entry and pegs it to a map. You put the wrong info in...you wind up with a pin in Lower Slobovia.

You got a GPS?? You can google your current location and put it into the HOP form too.

I mean what ya expect for a buck-$2.99??:p

geeksrus

This "Kludgy" method is pretty much how it's done all over. Even putting in my datastorm address over on the official datastorm map is pretty much done the same way.:(

I know it's a pain in the keister..but, that's the way that it is.

This app simply expects you to know, in it's format, what your current location is. It takes your entry and pegs it to a map. You put the wrong info in...you wind up with a pin in Lower Slobovia.

You got a GPS?? You can google your current location and put it into the HOP form too.

I mean what ya expect for a buck-$2.99??:p

Sure is not an acceptable solution... I guess I'll stop using it until it is fixed.

Eh!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Eh!

Hay Geek
That seems to be the easiest way for me to set it at this time. Sorry you feel it is KLUGEY...
How do you set it? What would you suggest? We are all intrested in new ways of doing things.

BC

Niles

I would like to know if there is a better way also, I got my HOP back to where it belongs, but only by trial and error. I know it's hard to believe but I do not own a GPS and have no desire to. Am a old truck driver that uses a map or markers to find my way around, thought I was lost one time, but was mistaken.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I would like to know if there is a better way also, I got my HOP back to where it belongs, but only by trial and error. I know it's hard to believe but I do not own a GPS and have no desire to. Am a old truck driver that uses a map or markers to find my way around, thought I was lost one time, but was mistaken.

If you know your zip code, you can get your lat/long from google or a bunch of other places on the map.

Guys. remember this is for fun and to give your friends a rough idea about where you are located.

We ain't using this for Air/Sea Rescue.None

jbeletti

HOP - Heartland Owners Position is not a commercially purchased application. It is a project I dreamed up and asked our volunteer (read: works for free) technical moderator, Michael Kidd, code for me. It works. Not as user friendly as it could be but that is on the long term list to address. For those that it works for, please continue to use it. For those having trouble with it and others who don't understand it at all - I apologize. Please pass on this feature for now.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey Jim,
With as many users as the forum has maybe there is somebody who is a programmer that can write another one to help Michael out. Just a thought

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The workings of this feature is part of the Google Maps. In case your curious, you might go to the Google web page and click on "My Maps". This is where you can set up a set of maps that show where you are, you'r going and such.

Thanks to Michael and JimB, we have a way of checking out where our friends and fellow Heartland Owners are located. It may not be an easy point and click but there are a lot of things today that are not quite that simple. Look at the half full glass, at least we have something that we can use. Other forums don't use this feature.
So again thanks guys for the work you are doing.

There is another map thingy that you might look at... http://www.mapme.com/

BC

Niles

Anyone who has taken my post as me being po, sorry I'm not into that. I thought I wrote my post in a joking way. I don't do the teckie things and never will. So I guess I will just back off.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Niles
I don't think anyone has taken your post to indicate that you are POed.!!!!

Don't back out.. At times a topic comes up and we discuss it. Some have a particular view point and others may disagree. This is ok.. No one is flaming any one.

My posts were made to point out that there are options and information for those that are disappointed that something is not working out a convenient way. My previous post was not to you or anyone in particular. It was to point out maybe how and where the HOP service originated from. Some may want to use that feature for their private use for family and friends that are not a part of this forum.

Please do not be concerned about your post. It stimulated an interesting conversation. We are all here to learn and enjoy each other.

Respectfully
BC

Niles

I do not want anyone to think that I do not enjoy this forum and appreciate what work goes into making it one of the best. Deb and I enjoy our BH and the friends we camp with, I just hate to see a tread go the way of one on RV net. I know the HOP is for fun and that's the way I started this thread, sorry it got so involved.

linuxkidd

HOP - Heartland Owners Position is not a commercially purchased application. It is a project I dreamed up and asked our volunteer (read: works for free) technical moderator, Michael Kidd, code for me. It works. Not as user friendly as it could be but that is on the long term list to address. For those that it works for, please continue to use it. For those having trouble with it and others who don't understand it at all - I apologize. Please pass on this feature for now.

Jim

Whoah.. slow down there turbo... I didn't write this app... I merely installed it..

It is on my todo list to revise it so that it's easier to update your location...

I *might* be able to get to that next week sometime...

Sorry for all the headache...
LK

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Whoah.. slow down there turbo... I didn't write this app... I merely installed it..

It is on my todo list to revise it so that it's easier to update your location...

I *might* be able to get to that next week sometime...

Sorry for all the headache...
LK

When you get it done...send a copy over to Datastormusers.com...they do it the same way you do here.

happykraut

For those of you that own a copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips, just put the cursor where you live, and it will show the latitude and longitude in the bottom right corner