Possible a electric heater installed?

duane224

The wife and I was camping this past weekend and the weather was cold and wet. So I decided to snoop around the inside of the trailer. I decided to check the filter on the AC and found this. I want to know if anyone has had an electric heater installed where the AC unit is? I didn't know this was an option.

Attachments

• PART_1444106656375_20151003_233958.jpg
    PART_1444106656375_20151003_233958.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 178

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
It appears that this is the prewire for a Heat Pump, which is an option on some models. Trace

Bones

I do have a furnace. I don't have a heat pump. I would like to have the heat pump too. I would rather use that during the times we are not in really cold weather.

justafordguy

That looks like it's for an optional electric heat strip for the A/C system. Many A/C systems have an electric heat strip option, which is not the same as a heat pump.

wdk450

I do have a furnace. I don't have a heat pump. I would like to have the heat pump too. I would rather use that during the times we are not in really cold weather.

I mainly RV in the California area, but still have cold mornings and overnights where some more heat is needed. I hate paying the propane charges when electricity is "free" with my space. I also hate the noise of the furnace. So I carry a 1500 watt portable space heater like this with me: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Comfort-Zone-5-120-BTU-Electric-Radiant-Heater-Gray-CZ530WM/21899615 . Be sure your outlet for the heater is wired with screws, not insulation displacement connectors (v shaped metal fingers the wire is pressed into). Be sure the heater has a tip over switch and follow all fire safety guidelines for the heater.

danemayer

Some of the Dometic air conditioners are heat pumps, but I believe they're only effective down to about 40 degrees (F). The ones that take a heat strip may be a better choice since they're just heating elements.

But if you already have an A/C unit, getting a small ceramic disc heater is a much easier and more economical choice.

Make sure you get a heater with tipover protection and thermostatic control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm with Bill and Dan on this one. If I am hooked up, I would rather heat my rig on the campground's dime, than use my propane. I carry two 750/1500 watt small space heaters purchased at W*lmart. I have heard from various folks that have the heat strips and heat pumps, that they are not that efficient.

Using the portables along with the fireplace, we have kept our rig comfortable under very cold conditions.

I also set the furnace as a fail-safe at about 60 degrees, if it drops that low. Trace

Crumgater

We don't have a built in fireplace in our unit, so we got one of those small portable fireplaces (it was on sale)... it has a low & high setting as well as the "pretty" flame. It's just enough to take the edge off on 50F nights.

We also have an oil filled electric radiator, which I feel better about leaving on unsupervised, but it takes up a lot more room.

jimtoo

Do you think we can retrofit our current units to take the heat strip?

Be sure you check with A/C manufacture with model and serial number for your unit about heat strip installation. Some a/c have plastic parts near where the heat strip would go and you cannot install a heat strip.

Jim M

Bones

Thanks. I will look at it to see if I can get one or if it would be too much trouble

Bohemian

Heat pumps have a problem in cold wet climates. Since one is heating the interior of the RV and cooling the coils on the outside of the heat pump, the coils can get coated with ice, a thermal insulator. This makes the heat pump less effective in cold wet conditions. The heating circuit is to defrost the exterior coils and remove the ice. This makes the heat pump more effective over a wider range of cold conditions.,

duane224

I h ave heat in my travel trailer it runs off of propane but it also has a place in the AC unit to install an electrical heating.

jayc

Legendary Member
The Cheap Heat system that Gus linked to is what I want. I have done a lot of research on them and am sold but Heartland won't install them from the factory. The Cheap Heat (CH) bolts to the furnace and blows electrically heated air through the existing furnace vents, giving even heat throughout the trailer including the underbelly. HL refuses to install because of the threat of no warranty from Suburban, even though they would need proof that the CH unit caused the failure.

If a person is not paying for electricity, this would be substantially cheaper to heat a trailer but if if you pay for electricity, it is likely a wash. Another plus for the CH is that you have a secondary heater. If electriity costs are high or the power fails you can always use the propane furnace.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have the same electric heaters as Trace. They both will run you out of the trailer if set on high.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Our landmark 365 has
The propane furnace
The 2 heat pumps on the 15000 A/C's
The fire place heater "which I love" its quit and keeps the chill out without making it stuffy
And that Dyson heat/cool fan

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
The wife and I was camping this past weekend and the weather was cold and wet. So I decided to snoop around the inside of the trailer. I decided to check the filter on the AC and found this. I want to know if anyone has had an electric heater installed where the AC unit is? I didn't know this was an option.

Both of our AC units have heat strips.
They were relativley inexpensive at the time. The dealer charged $105 for each kit and did not charge for install.
Kit includes the strip (heating coil) and a dedicated thermstat.
Between the two heat strips and an original Pelonis ceramic heater we rarely use the furnace. And aside from a once a year test, I don't recall the last time we did use the furnace.

Most of the time we just use the strips. You will not get fast heat with them, but once on for an hour or so they do a nice job of keeping it comfortable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 30