Potential Diesel Owner

caissiel

I have been towing with a 2500/250 for 20 years. Had a flat on the rear with the 5th on and it was a none event. Broke all the studs on the rear also and it just came to stop ruining the drum. I get much more concerned about a failure of a front tire and SRWs do have more capacity front then Duellies. Just don't overload the rear tires.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I am really enjoying the truck. MANY MANY subtle enhancements/upgrades from the previous years. Truck tows extremely well and more then enough power/torque to get the job done. The only thing I did was added bags to the rear, but after the fact not sure it was a must. It does help me to get the nose up a bit on the highway.

I usually tune my trucks with EFI Live and my 09 made just under 500hp and 800lbs of torque tuned. The 2015 would be ridiculous tuned which is why I have not done it yet, it doesn't need it. lol

Trucks a beast, I am sure you will love it!!

Jack

I'm surprised you need airbags...our 2011 doesn't and our pin weight is 4,200 lbs...what is the pin weight on your Cyclone?

Boostable

I'm surprised you need airbags...our 2011 doesn't and our pin weight is 4,200 lbs...what is the pin weight on your Cyclone?

Im right there with you. I haven't weighed it, but 3750 dry, +3~400 in gear up front. Like I mentioned, after the fact it wasn't really necessary. I was adding an air system to the truck and in anticipation of "what might be" I had them added, would of been just fine without them.

jdfishing

I too will be in the new truck marketplace in 2015. Been a Chevy guy all my life, including my current 2002, 2500 w/8.1 liter gas. Pretty well decided it will be a diesel, but I'm torn between the Dodge and Chev, with the Ford an outside chance. I just keep gathering info. and will make my choice when the time comes. I have heard that Chev is planning on some major changes for 2015. Anyone heard what they might include?

scottyb

I have heard that Chev is planning on some major changes for 2015. Anyone heard what they might include?

I hope one of them is a factory 5th wheel prep like Ford and Ram have done. I already have 50K on my 2013 and I would seriously take a look at a 2015 Chevy if they come out with some wholesale changes. I loved my 2007, but nothing had changed as of 2013, and they still had no storage space. I had to carry rubbermaid tubs in the back seat of my 07, to stow all my stuff that I have carried from truck to truck over the last 30 years. Both Ford and Ram have tons of storage space built in to their trucks as well as state of the art NAV and electronics interfaces. GM just fell behind the curve on creature comforts for the last 2-3 years.

Bohemian

Huh, GM offers under seat storage, 5th wheel prep, bed storage, etc. and has at least for several years.

scottyb

Huh, GM offers under seat storage, 5th wheel prep, bed storage, etc. and has at least for several years.

Yes but the 5th wheel prep is only for the wiring harness and doesn't include the built-in sockets for a gooseneck / 5th wheel hitch. This is probably #1 on my list of options offered by Ford. I would be hard pressed to buy a truck without it, now that I have had it. You can argue about the storage all you want. I went from a string of 5 consecutive Ford's to a Chevy. I work out of my truck every day and the Chevy just didn't have the door pockets, and cubby holes. The Chevy was an excellent truck that I put 186K trouble free miles, and I was ready to jump into another one. It just didn't have 1/2 the storage as the Fords and they hadn't made any significant improvements since my 07.5 came out.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just ordered a new 2015 Chevy and the cubbies under the rear seat are an option...there are pockets on the back of each front seat...

As for significant changes, not sure when you looked, but they made very significant changes in the body style, frame and towing capability in 2011...the 2015 again they have made small changes to the body style, but the interior has now been very nicely brought up to date...

porthole

Retired
I'm on my third Dodge Ram Diesel 02, 04.5 and now 08. Only problem so far was a in-tank fuel pump. The 08 has about 103,000 mi on it. Getting ready to get a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW. I don't drive a Dodge because it's a Dodge, I drive it because it has a Cummins in it. Before I bought my first diesel I walked into a new dealership in Durango CO. Very unusual they sold Fords, Dodges and Toyota's under one roof. I asked the service manager if I should purchase a Ford or a Dodge. He chuckled and said that 10 Fords come into his shop for every Dodge. Buy the best, get a Cummins(that should rile up a few LOL).

At one time I worked in a Ford, Dodge and Toyota store. That service manager is correct, there were about 10 fords for every dodge that came in. Although, the dealer also sold about 10 fords for every dodge sold.

One thing I learned after 18+ years in the new car service end is that very seldom were service managers all that informed about the product they were in charge of. SM's jumped around dealers frequently, and brand expierence was not always a requirement.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scottyb

Just ordered a new 2015 Chevy and the cubbies under the rear seat are an option...there are pockets on the back of each front seat...

As for significant changes, not sure when you looked, but they made very significant changes in the body style, frame and towing capability in 2011...the 2015 again they have made small changes to the body style, but the interior has now been very nicely brought up to date...

I was shopping in 2013. The interior of the 2013 Chevy LTZ was identical to my 2007 LTZ as well as the exterior. I know they had boosted the HP and torque like the others. If the 2015's had been out I probably would be in a Chevy now.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm going to the Chevy dealer on Friday . . . might be coming home with a new truck!

I'll be looking at the 2014's and they have a few of the new 2015's in stock now!

Bohemian

Ford claims they have the most used pickups on the road after 10 years. Of course they do. They sell the most far.

GM claims they have the highest percentage of 10 year old pickups sold on the road. To me, this would be much more important.

Bohemian

Careful with the Ram Trucks.

The 3500 will NOT get you 4000 lbs of payload with anything other than duallies according to their towing/payload page. That means nothing other than long bed or MegaCab with 6.5 bed.

Playing with their builder, I think there is some exception, either CC 8' bed or Megacab 6.5 bed SRW with 12,300 lbs GVWR option. But they don't publish stats for these configurations on the web even though you can build them.

Jim.Allison

I found a loaded SRW 3500 4X4, crew, short bed, with 3950 LBS. Standard equipment with a HEMI.

Careful with the Ram Trucks.

The 3500 will NOT get you 4000 lbs of payload with anything other than duallies according to their towing/payload page. That means nothing other than long bed or MegaCab with 6.5 bed.

Playing with their builder, I think there is some exception, either CC 8' bed or Megacab 6.5 bed SRW with 12,300 lbs GVWR option. But they don't publish stats for these configurations on the web even though you can build them.

'Lil Guy'

Jim, are you towing the BC with a 2500 Ram. I know there is plenty of power but does it pull alright. Do you have any concerns. when I pull the trigger on my new Ram diesel, it will be used as my everyday truck when not hauling a rig. sure hate to drive around in a dually. I guess I could get used to one since it's the same width as the trailer. Again, please let me know how it pulls. Thanks in advance.

Bohemian

Yes, close, but not 4,000 or above.

I finally got the real data sheet So you can get 4,000 and over in 6.5' bed. It's just tricky.

Bohemian

Example:

2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed with 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel Single Rear Wheel (8 ft Box specs in parens)
11,700 lb (12,300) GVWR
3.42 Rear Differential

Option1: 68RFE 6 speed automatic transmission
370 HP, 800 lb-ft
25,000 GCWR
17,240 (17,070) Max Tow
4110 (4,550) Max Payload

Option 2: Aisin HD transmission upgrade +$2,395.00
385 HP/850 lb-ft
25,000 GCWR
17,080 (16,880) Max Tow
3,950 (4,350) Max Payload