Potential Diesel Owner

'Lil Guy'

Wanting to upgrade my TV with a new Dodge 6.7 Cummins. For the life of me, I can't find any good reports of people not having problems with them. I've talked to new owners and they talk of problems. Not knowing squat about a diesel, what is causing all of the problems. I thought they were dependable and super strong with low end torque. Can't see paying that kind of money to be taking it to the dealer as often as I'm reading. I know that the forums are just a small number of the Dodge owners so I'm hoping some of you that have had no issues with a new Ram could chime in. I talked to a guy with a new 3500 dually pulling his 5er and he said he's carrying some spare parts. It's going to be impossible to upgrade my TT to whatever if I can't depend on one. He said it quit on him for a filter at 800 miles. The dodge forum says the dealers don't know how to solve the problems and are just resetting the warnings. Some say they are told to disregard the CEL. I am not going to drive around with a CEL flashing after I pay that kind of money. Is this a small portion of the owners or is the new EPA standards ruining the diesels? Any input here would be appreciated and I hope there are some of you with no issues. Thanks in advance

gtsum2

I have a 2014 3500 srw cummins and love it. 9500 miles so far and no issues. After towing with gas and now diesel, I would never go back to gas. I use it as my dd also. It does ride rough on rough roads for sure but my daily driving doesn't call for a lot of that

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The major problem that people are having with any of the newer diesel trucks are with the government mandated emissions garbage, ie., DEF, EGR, DPF....other than that the diesels are pretty much problem free...

danemayer

RAM 3500 6.7 dually crewcab 4x4 with Aisin transmission here. Towed about 1100 miles so far out of 1900 miles total. Truck tows fine. I haven't seen anything that would cause me to caution anyone against buying one. Seems too early to make recommendations.

On the other hand, after my horrendous experience with our 2011 GMC, and the inexcusable response from GMC, I don't plan to ever darken the door of a GMC dealer again.

I know we all have our personal experiences and I'm sure there are plenty of GMC owners who are delighted with their trucks, just as I'm sure there are many RAM owners who are unhappy. That's the trouble with making decisions based on anecdotal reports.

My advice is to buy whichever truck best meets your needs. You'll probably be in the large majority that have a good experience.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also have a 2014 Ram 3500 drw for about 5 months and haven't had any problems as far as having a diesel. As kakampers stated above, it's the other stuff that the manufacturer have to add for the clean air act. We have owned 3 other diesels that have pulled great and didn't have any mechanically problems. With this new truck, the dealership has had to replace the control computer and all 6 tires. At least it's still under warranty. Guess we will have a new new truck before long.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
All of the trucks we have owned from the mid-60's have been Dodge or Dodge Rams and we wouldn't go with anything else. All manufacturers have their problems so it's up to each individual to have what they want.

GWRam

I have a 2013 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins. Love it! It's a DD as well as TV. Coming up on 20k miles, about 6k towing our Gateway 3650BH. It does awesome. Still have my 03 Hemi RAM 2500 from TT days. The Hemi never let me down but the Cummins always impresses me. I've only been in the eastern half of the US so far but for the mountains of GA, TN, NC it climbs the steep grades, exhaust brakes back down without needing brakes or very little.
I read the issues people have reported and store the info for future reference.
Pick the brand you like. Can't beat diesel for towing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GOTTOYS

Dodge had a few problems with their electronics in the 2007-2009 models when the emissions requirements were changed but they worked their way through it. I have a 2010 with a Cummins. 92,000 miles and still going strong. I haven't talked to any Dodge/Ram owners that were dissatisfied. I don't know what Dodge forum you've been on, I haven't seen any of that on the Dodge Cummins forum...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Potential Diesel Owner...

I am also in the truck shopping mode . . .

Time to retire my favorite truck that I've ever owned (out the 8 I've owned in the last 30 years) . . . my current 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.

I'm struggling with the diesel/gas question, the 1500/2500/3500 solution . . . not to mention which brand to get!

5 of the trucks I've owned were Dodge . . . 3 of them Fords . . . and I have never owned a GM truck.

However, I am in a position to get a great deal on a new GM truck as I have a 2010 Chevy car that has a million recalls on it, and the dealer is offering huge incentives to get my car off the road if I trade it in for a new Chevy or GMC truck!

I test drove a GMC Denali a couple of weeks ago . . . what a sweet truck!

It was all I could do to restrain myself from driving it home right then and there . . . :p

But I can get the same vehicle in Chevy for about $12,000 less, so will most likely opt for the Chevy.

Although I've been a Dodge guy for years . . . so the decision is tough! :eek:

We aren't planning on moving to a 5th-wheel trailer for at least 10 more years, so I really don't need to have that much towing capability right now as our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner at 8,000 pounds is going to be with us for at least that long.

Plus, when I get the new truck, it will be my daily driver as the car and my current Dodge truck will both be gone (I want to keep my truck, but my CEO and director of finance and banking (wife) says that it has to go if I want to park a shiny new truck in our driveway next to our shiny new trailer (well, it will be 2 years old next month).

So I will be watching this thread with much interest . . .

We have the Colorado HOC Fall Rally coming up in September, and I hope to have my new truck before then.

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg ChevyCobaltInMountainsFront-P2150238.jpg

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I have a 2010 and have had zero problems with it. It has 60000 on it and about a third of that towing. I switched from and 04 5.9 Ram and love the exhaust break. The only complaint I have is that the mileage is not as good as the 5.9 due to change in emissions controls. I also just replaced the original tires on it at 55000.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I talked to my neighbor about this. He has been a diesel mechanic for 25 years and has been the only person other than myself to touch my pick up. He told me that they are making a killing off of newer RAM and Ford owners these days and it mostly has to do with what the manufacturers are needing to do to get diesel power out from behind all these emission controls that are law now. He also said that the only way the newer diesels will run is if you live in a non emissions state, you junk all the required emissions, and get a programer to "fool" the computer into thinking its all still hooked up. He showed me a dyno sheet they did for a 2013 Dodge from Wyoming and doing the previously stated mods increased the HP alone by almost 100. Emissions is why I drive a 02 Ford still, and the proven longevity is why I chose the 7.3. If I had the cash I would get a new Chevy and drop a 7.3 in it.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I hope you don't expect a one answer fits all to your posting....My Grandpa use to say "opinions are like the rectal part of your anatomy" Everyone has one! You will get 100 different answers from 100 different postings. That said, the last posting is very correct with the emissions. My 2011 cummings 6 speed manual has almost 100,000 miles and not one ounce of problems. I have a ranch and this is my everyday vehicle and tow vehicle. I did stealth emissions on it at 35,000 miles with the Smarty computer. My mpg is 22 on the highway and avg 19-20 on my rural roads. Towing my North TRail while I only get 15 mpg, that is great to what others are obtaining. My dealer knows of the changes and continues to work on the truck without any problems. I have the oil changed by the dealer every 5,000 miles, all filters changed on time. This is my 3rd Dodge cummings and would not hesitate to buy the a new 2015, and yes you can delete them as well. What a difference in power, performance, mpg. As far as brands go, they all have their advantages and disadvantages....just buy what you like. All will have some issues. One posting of the tire monitors has nothing to do with a Dodge or diesel problem. Mine were replaced at very low mileage as well and no problems since. A Dodge diesel will last you a life time if you care for it. Drive it like a truck and not a gas guzzler. Don't baby it, it was meant to work! Again...just another opinion out of how many??

Jim.Allison

Honesty

I have the most recent generation 2013 RAM 2500HD 6.7 truck, I personally do not think that it can be beat. Fit, finish, appointments, and reliability. You cannot go wrong buying a RAM, I don't think you are hearing about the 2013 RAM. The 2013 RAM is an entirely different truck.

You must take what you read on diesel truck forums, they are not talking about the 2013 and above. They can't afford them. If you notice in those forums the posters all want to remove the pollution controls and the "soot cooker" these guys are not reliable, they don't tow, they hot rod.

My observation is the opposite of yours. Youtube is replete with Ford Diesel problems. I wanted a ford but bad but went to the RAM 2500 with the 6.7 because of it. The torque and hp is virtually unlimited and if you get the 3500 with the optional transmission you will have an additional 10% hp and torque. The 20 inch wheel available on the 2014 and 2015 raises the tire load rating on the SRW to 3650 each or 3840 depending on the 20 inch tire you choose. You probably do not need a dually with a Ram 3500, but you have to do the math. The dually lovers will get me for it, but if they have not checked out the new RAM 3500, then they don't know. I tow a Big Country 3650RL with a 2013 2500HD with a 6.7. My rig will walk and talk while towing. I recently towed from San Antonio to Chama New Mexico. I pulled some serious grades, I had to chuckle at the top of one grade because of its capability, I could not believe the performance.

That having been said, I had a recent problem that resulted in having to call Cummins to diagnose. My dealer was irresponsible in not seeking the consultation early which resulted in a delay in repairs. I don't blame the truck, or Chrysler and I don't blame Cummins, I blame the dealer for his incompetence.

I have a second problem which involves oil levels rising in the crankcase. HOWEVER, this may be an illusion. Ram is saying that it can happen with any diesel as well as theirs. But mine has been checked and should not be exhibiting the problem. I cannot rule out that I did not let the oil drain long enough, during the oil change. I let it drain for 15 minutes, It should be at least 1/2 hour and some mechanics say 1 hour drain before adding oil. I may be culpable. This suspicion was exacerbated by me checking the oil last week in an abnormal parking position, the the oil was high on the dipstick, but parked correctly, my reading are correct on the dipstick, currently I do not think diesel fuel is getting into my crankcase. I am not ruling out a problem though, but I am carefully monitoring the situation. Right now it is elusive and in fact might not exist at all.

On another thread I am keeping those interested appraised of my problem with my truck. Today as of this moment, I strongly recommend the RAM truck. Notwithstanding, these two problems one of which is looking like a self inflicted problem and the other is excusable as a normal warranty work issue.

Wanting to upgrade my TV with a new Dodge 6.7 Cummins. For the life of me, I can't find any good reports of people not having problems with them. I've talked to new owners and they talk of problems. Not knowing squat about a diesel, what is causing all of the problems. I thought they were dependable and super strong with low end torque. Can't see paying that kind of money to be taking it to the dealer as often as I'm reading. I know that the forums are just a small number of the Dodge owners so I'm hoping some of you that have had no issues with a new Ram could chime in. I talked to a guy with a new 3500 dually pulling his 5er and he said he's carrying some spare parts. It's going to be impossible to upgrade my TT to whatever if I can't depend on one. He said it quit on him for a filter at 800 miles. The dodge forum says the dealers don't know how to solve the problems and are just resetting the warnings. Some say they are told to disregard the CEL. I am not going to drive around with a CEL flashing after I pay that kind of money. Is this a small portion of the owners or is the new EPA standards ruining the diesels? Any input here would be appreciated and I hope there are some of you with no issues. Thanks in advance

jnbhobe

We are at the Pa. rally this weekend and the truck count is this way, 3 dodges ( one is gas ), one GMC, and 17 Fords ( 1-460, 2-6.0, 14- 6.7 ). Who knows whats best, but we can see what is being bought.

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for the replies. 1st, I like the Dodge Ram w/CTD. Currently driving a 2012 4X4 with 5.7 hemi and love the looks and power of the truck. Trouble with gas is the torque is way up in the RPM band. Nice to read so many positive remarks. As for as the Dodge Ram Forum, I go by fat frank and it's cluttered with bad remarks which I take with a grain of salt. A lot of the complaints is for the lack of power accelerating, like it hesitates. Could be torque management. But most of the complaints are about CELs for various reasons. I'm assuming most of these complaints are from guys who want to lift and run huge tires to play. I've out grown that. I'm looking for a good dependable TV. If I make the change it will be with the Ram. Really want the 3500 dually but am afraid to have that much truck sticking out. So, I'll probably opt for the 2500 and upgrade my toy to fit that. Reason being, I'll be using the TV as a daily driver also. Thant will eliminate being able to tow a BH or Elkridge. Maybe the Elkridge light. Is anybody towing a heavier 5th wheel with the 2500? Again thanks for the replies.

Snow

We are at the Pa. rally this weekend and the truck count is this way, 3 dodges ( one is gas ), one GMC, and 17 Fords ( 1-460, 2-6.0, 14- 6.7 ). Who knows whats best, but we can see what is being bought.
They are all over like that we go to Bethpage campground at least twice a year and it's like 7 fords to 1 of the other big threes ,with that said I don't like the breaking on my super duty it's not bad but it's nothing like dodge or chevy ,but I've always been a ford guy anyway to the OP it's what you like ,like an rv there good and bad in both you never know what your going to get you my get one with the kitchen sink falling out and cabinet doors falling off etc... Or you might luck out and get one like I did just a handful of things I had to fix . I do keep reading good things about the 14 dodges though .good luck ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

Jim.Allison

But I noticed you said you were interested in the SRW 2500, which is what I bought, but I strongly recommend that you try to make a deal on a 3500 SRW. It is the same truck! you can get the optional Asien transmission. You will have a bullet proof rig.

Thanks for the replies. 1st, I like the Dodge Ram w/CTD. Currently driving a 2012 4X4 with 5.7 hemi and love the looks and power of the truck. Trouble with gas is the torque is way up in the RPM band. Nice to read so many positive remarks. As for as the Dodge Ram Forum, I go by fat frank and it's cluttered with bad remarks which I take with a grain of salt. A lot of the complaints is for the lack of power accelerating, like it hesitates. Could be torque management. But most of the complaints are about CELs for various reasons. I'm assuming most of these complaints are from guys who want to lift and run huge tires to play. I've out grown that. I'm looking for a good dependable TV. If I make the change it will be with the Ram. Really want the 3500 dually but am afraid to have that much truck sticking out. So, I'll probably opt for the 2500 and upgrade my toy to fit that. Reason being, I'll be using the TV as a daily driver also. Thant will eliminate being able to tow a BH or Elkridge. Maybe the Elkridge light. Is anybody towing a heavier 5th wheel with the 2500? Again thanks for the replies.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I have a 2008 DRW 3500 with 82000 miles and have not had any problems with it. I do run a programmer and tow a 40ft 5er. All of the the big 3 are going to have problems. I've run a Dodge for over 20 years and never had any major problems.

hoefler

I am on my 3rd Dodge Cummins Ram, 05, 08, 2010. I am going to pick up my 2014 today. I have not had any issues with my last 2 pulling the Landmark, they both have been excellent pullers. I am looking forward to hooking the 14 to the Landmark this coming Wednesday for a short trip before heading to Florida in October.