Potential Diesel Owner

Jim.Allison

Jim, are you towing the BC with a 2500 Ram. I know there is plenty of power but does it pull alright. Do you have any concerns. when I pull the trigger on my new Ram diesel, it will be used as my everyday truck when not hauling a rig. sure hate to drive around in a dually. I guess I could get used to one since it's the same width as the trailer. Again, please let me know how it pulls. Thanks in advance.

My 2500 runs like a scalded dog pulling my BC3650RL. Your 3500 SWR will also. Do the math yourself. No salesperson knows anything, at the RV lot or the truck lot.

But your question has to do with handling. The exhaust brake is the best, it is fully functional and changes everything, you want that.

Along with the 3500 you will want the 20 inch wheels with the Firestone HT/AT tires. They have incredible load ratings.

As far as wind is concerned, I have driven in some high winds. The truck handles just fine when the wind is not gusting, the trailer leans though. If your trailer is leaning way over you need to park it. Dually or no dually, If the wind is gusting there are surprises hidden in those gust. Your fiver is huge and that is where the energy is coming from that puts pressure on your truck, both trucks have to compensate for it. In either truck your have your pin load to provide rear stability, in either truck you have the same weight more or less on the steering gear, the only thing that the dually offers is a wider stance in the back and 2x the tire patch. I never noticed the back of my truck being influenced by the wind but the steering gear has to offset the wind hitting the trailer in either truck so I don't see much there is to gain. The upshot is that if your trailer is getting pounded like that then you need to pull into a walmart or a rest area, pop some popcorn and catch up on the news. If a 3500 SWR is getting knocked around that much then a dually probably should not be pulling either. Question; would you rely on the difference between a DRW and SWR to operate in a wind condition that might turn over your fiver? I would not!

I could just say "no problem, buy it!" I won't do that. I will tell you that I ran into severe gusty winds in the Texas Panhandle that I had to manage. The wind blew for about 4 hours before I was able to move out of the low pressure area that was moving across the state (information displayed on the EVIC weather radar, gotta love it). The wind was severe and the gust were worse. The wind gust presented the largest difficulty in that there are little surprises in them. I drove along with SWRs and DRWs and all of us had slowed down because of it, some drove faster than others and some slower, but none were pulling at 65 mph, it was white knuckles. I had the wife on guste watch and dustdevil watch. The reality is; that if it was much worse, I would have pulled over. So the upshot is that I encountered wind conditions and I was able to manage them and I feel that there is little difference between SRW and DRW in that both should not be pulling at 65 mph in the winds that I have encountered. Following these rigs, I could see them leaning, I knew mine was leaning just as bad. DRW and SWR made no difference. Infact I could see a trailer get knocked around ahead of me, from that I knew to slow and expect a hit. We were all in it together DRW SRW, we should of all had our head examined for pulling in it. BTW, I did not see one receiver hitch type travel trailer that day. Normal wind has never presented a problem for my 2500, it rides like a Cadillac.

Question of the day; would you buy a DRW, pay for its operation and maintenance, and put up with all the ancillary problems with driving one and parking one, so that you can handle the off chance that you run into a wind condition that exceeds the capability of a SRW but not a DRW? That is a narrow contingency, if it exist at all.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Bohemian

The 2014 Ram 2500 x4 Diesel has much reduced capabilities compared to the 3500

GVWR: 10,000

GCWR: 25,000
Max tow: 17,200

GCWR and Max tow look good, but

Max Payload: 2370

Payload includes anything in the truck other than 1-150 lb person and fuel, like extra weight on the driver over 150 lb, second person, 5th wheel hitch, 5th wheel pin weight, modifications, etc. That 2370 disappears fast.

Bohemian

Just ran into the Ram claim to reliability.

Greatest percentage of diesel pickups registered in Canada over the past 20 years that are still registered. GM was a close second. Ford was last

scottyb

I'm not saying you have to have a DRW, but I can vouch that a DRW truck pulls the same trailer under the same conditions, with much more stability than a SRW. The difference is like night and day. I had my SRW for 3500 mi before I got the DRW. I do not like driving the DRW as my daily work truck, but at least it pays for itself. I have already turned over 50K and gone through a set of tires in 17 mo, with about 10K of that towing.

Jim.Allison

The 2014 Ram 2500 x4 Diesel has much reduced capabilities compared to the 3500

GVWR: 10,000

GCWR: 25,000
Max tow: 17,200

GCWR and Max tow look good, but

Max Payload: 2370

Payload includes anything in the truck other than 1-150 lb person and fuel, like extra weight on the driver over 150 lb, second person, 5th wheel hitch, 5th wheel pin weight, modifications, etc. That 2370 disappears fast.

What are the mechanical differences that makes a 2500 different than a 3500?

Bohemian

For comparison, the same Ram 3500 CC in DRW with the Aisin transmission and 4.10 diff has the following specs (maxed out)

GVWR: 14,000
GCWR: 37,500
Max Tow: 29,000
Max Payload: 5670

The differences start in the frames: GVWR from 10,000 to 14,000 lbs
Then they vary in the drive trains: engines, transmissions, drive shafts, differentials, axles
Brakes, cooling etc.

There are three different 6.7L Diesel engines.
Even the same numerical ratio differentials can have different size (strength) gears inside and cases
The DRW models add cooling fins on the differentials.
Same base model transmissions can have heavier duty components inside. (Ford does this. Ram???)

They can touch each level in a thousand ways.

Bohemian

Left out

Suspensions: springs, shocks, stabilizer bars, etc.

What's the same:

Cab and interior, truck bed.

Bohemian

An over simplified summary:

Payload increases come from a more HD chassis, frame, springs, shocks,and all the things that support weight on the truck.

Higher tow capacity comes with more power (motor) and more leverage of the motor over the truck and trailer (differential ratio. 4.10 > 3.73 > 3.41). Of course, more power and more leverage require more HD components and more truck weight, which lowers payload a bit.

gtsum2

Careful with the Ram Trucks.

The 3500 will NOT get you 4000 lbs of payload with anything other than duallies according to their towing/payload page. That means nothing other than long bed or MegaCab with 6.5 bed.

Playing with their builder, I think there is some exception, either CC 8' bed or Megacab 6.5 bed SRW with 12,300 lbs GVWR option. But they don't publish stats for these configurations on the web even though you can build them.

I have a 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab SRW Laramie loaded with every option available except PTO (sunroof, 20 wheels, wheel to wheel sidesteps, etc, etc) and my payload is 4076 per door sticker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

danemayer

I've attached the payload spec page from the 2014 RAM Truck brochure. Looks like all the 3500 SRWs come in at or around 4,000 lbs.

Attachments

• 2014_ram_pickups 3500 Tow Spec.pdf
    217.5 KB · Views: 20

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
All this talk about weight has got me thinking about not getting a topper for the back of my new truck . . .

I know that the topper on my current truck weighs around 700 pounds (thats what they told me when I purchased the topper).

But I really like having an enclosed truck bed as I often carry stuff that needs to stay dry (electronics).

TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg

danemayer

I think my BakFlip G2 bed cover had a shipping weight of 72 lbs for an 8 foot bed. I can't imagine what a 700 lb topper would be like.

On re-read, I notice the photo showing a full shell. 700 still sounds pretty heavy, but maybe it does.

jimtoo

If you talking about a fiber glass camper shell... that is way to heavy...someone goofed. My son has one for 6.5' bed, same roof level as cab and it weights about 150#

JohnD

If you talking about a fiber glass camper shell... that is way to heavy...someone goofed. My son has one for 6.5' bed, same roof level as cab and it weights about 150#

It takes at least three people with muscles that eat their Wheaties for breakfast to lift that thing off of the truck . . . four people are better!

TruckAtGig-P1010904.jpg TruckBack--P1020777.jpg EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg

JohnD

Well,, that's still not 700# maybe 200#

Well . . . thats what they told me at the topper shop.

I guess this is kind of like how the RV dealerships tell you that your current truck will tow whatever it is you are looking at! :p

Although, don't forget that this fiberglass topper is from the 1990's . . . and not one of today's politically correct EPA standard and regulated (trying to be funny here) light weight jobbies. :eek:

I will tell you this . . . I tried to lift this thing once and threw my back out trying to pick up one side of it.

Anyway, I am going to the truck store tomorrow and will have to decide what to do about a topper.

I don't really like the aluminum toppers and they make a lot of noise during rain and hail storms . . . not too mention get dented from hail, which we get a lot of here in Colorado.

And kinda look cheap as well . . . :rolleyes:

But they are most likely a lot lighter than the fiberglass toppers.

JohnD

John thats a pretty good looking truck for a 96 model.

The truck is still in great shape . . .

Could use a paint job and has a few issues that comes with 164,000 miles (heck, I leak a little bit too at my age - 54 years old), has never been in an accident, and is still almost all original from the factory!

Out of all of the vehicles I've ever owned . . . I've had this truck the longest out of any of them!

I'm going to miss it when it is gone . . .