Pre-Nashville 2010 Mini-Rally & Convoy

shovelguy

We are scheduled to be in the convoy but if Gus is planning on going 65 mph we will most definitely be eating his dust. Dean keeps it at a steady 60mph and we have been getting great gas mileage, 13 mpg, which makes him a happy camper. Jodi

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Don't worry! 65 is the upper end of my trailering speed. Many years of Convoy Commander duty in the Army taught me to only go as fast as the slowest vehicle. In this case, the slowest vehicle is probababy me anyway!

dieselsweetheart

Just rechecked our reservation cause when you make them so long ago you worry you forgot something. Just confirmed we are in site A3 for our arrival on Tuesday the 13th! Whew! I also just booked a return stay at the Natural Bridge/Lexington KOA for one night on the way home. Tick, tick...counting down the days till our trip to TN!!!

boatto5er

Wow, that's almost 500 miles. Might be a little long for us, but we might try to go that far. Will try to decide by tonight or tomorrow. I had been thinking the KOA in Wythville would be our return overnighter. Need to be home in time to get the 5er cleaned up and back to my son's house. Oldest son is flying in with his family on the 20th. Who planned that?

dieselsweetheart

Ya but overall I don't think you have as far to come back as we do? If we are 8 hours from Nashville we still have about 4 or 5 hours to get home on Monday. We'll just need to scout out places to stop for a break/lunch/stretch....

boatto5er

For all you East Coasters going to the National Rally, ther's still time to join us in Baileyton, TN on July 13th on the way to Nashville. If you think your plans might change, let me know. We'd love to have some more Heartlander's join in with us.

VixPix

Boat to 5er: Do you have a planned departure time from Baileyton on Wednesday, July 14th? Pam & I live 25 minutes from this park, which we stay at frequently and enjoy. We will be heading to Nashville on the 14th and may consider joining the caravan. Also, there's an incredible country restaurant in town called, guess... Baileyton Family Restaurant. It's about 1/2 mile from the campground and we eat several meals there since the prices and portions can't be beat. Tastes good, too! Worth checking out if you don't want to dirty dishes in the morning.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Vic - If Gus' group leaves to early for you, we will be leaving Lenoir City about 2:30ish Wednesday. Got to work 1/2 day :( We live on the west side of Knoxville about 3 miles from the I-40/75 split. I think the caravan is planning to fuel up at the Watt Road exit (I think it's exit 370) which has Flying J, Petro truck stop and T/A truckstop (Fuel today was 2.78). That will put everyone within 3 hours of Nashville. Just let us know if that will work for ya'll.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Boat to 5er: Do you have a planned departure time from Baileyton on Wednesday, July 14th? Pam & I live 25 minutes from this park, which we stay at frequently and enjoy. We will be heading to Nashville on the 14th and may consider joining the caravan. Also, there's an incredible country restaurant in town called, guess... Baileyton Family Restaurant. It's about 1/2 mile from the campground and we eat several meals there since the prices and portions can't be beat. Tastes good, too! Worth checking out if you don't want to dirty dishes in the morning.

Vic - we were planning on leaving Baileyton around 9:30am, although it may be a little later (10:00ish). I had a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious) last night and realized we gain an hour before getting to Nashville so we don't have to get on the road quite as early as we had originally planned. Love to have you meet up with us. My number is 703-409-9947 if you need to call. And thanks for the suggestion on the restuarant. We were looking for a place to grab a light dinner on Tuesday evening. Byrd is correct abut the fuel stop also.

shovelguy

We are set up and DH is enjoying a beer here at Baileytown RV Pk. Thanks for the restaurant tip. We might check it out tomorrow. See everyone as you arrive. D&J

boatto5er

We are set up and DH is enjoying a beer here at Baileytown RV Pk. Thanks for the restaurant tip. We might check it out tomorrow. See everyone as you arrive. D&J

We're leaving here at 7:00am Tuesday morning. Should be in around 2 in the afternoon. See you then!

cjhicks

We're leaving here at 7:00am Tuesday morning. Should be in around 2 in the afternoon. See you then!

Hey Gus, We are on planning on leaveing our daughters house in LaPlata, MD. around 7AM Monday morning not sure if we will make a stop before Baileyton, but we will see you there.

VixPix

Gus - Thanks! Something unexpected came up with our college student daughter and we had to leave for Nashville yesterday. So, we hooked up the rig and headed west to see her. We made it to the Cumberland Mountain State Park off I-40 Exit 322. It's a beautiful campground. We called KOA Nashville and they were able to accommodate our earlier arrival. They were very helpful, once they knew that we were part of the Heartland Rally group. (Before that, all we could get was a tent site.) You'll see the Baileyton restaurant on your left as you are leaving the town - can't drive a rig in there. There's also one near the elementary school about 500' after you turn right into the town, we've never eaten at that one and can't attest to the quality/value. Watch out for the police running radar across from the school. See you all in Nashville! Safe Travels!!

Byrd - Thanks for the backup offer. Please look us up in Nashville - we'll attempt to find you, too.