Pre Wired camera

Rysonn

Hello, my wife and I are new to the page and purchases ou2019 Pioneer RG26 yesterday. Today I attempted to install the Furrion camera to the pre-wired location. I got on the ladder, unscrewed the plate, plugged in the camera and nothing. Steps I have taken are as such:

1) of course I had the power plugged into the tow vehicle
2) I attempted with every configuration of lights turned on on tow vehicle, headlights, parking lights, reverse lights etc.

It is not a matter of the display getting a signal. It is absolutely an issue of power. In all of those lighting configurations I was able to verify that there is no power what so ever going to the camera. Having been a 1 day old owner of the RV I am hoping I don't have to try and re-wire all of this as that exceeds my skill set at this point. I am hoping there is a far more simple explanation or something I am missing to get power to the camera.

Thanks everyone

Dahillbilly

if you have the wiring pigtail that came with the camera try hooking it up to a battery & the camera & see if it works then. This eliminates a bad camera. Check for power on the pre-wired pigtail FIRST,mine was hot wired to the garage fan. Good luck

Rysonn

if you have the wiring pigtail that came with the camera try hooking it up to a battery & the camera & see if it works then. This eliminates a bad camera. Check for power on the pre-wired pigtail FIRST,mine was hot wired to the garage fan. Good luck

Thank you for the reply. Yes I did check the camera itself and it does work and will power on when connected via different means. I have been able to rule out that it is a camera issue. How did you track it to a garage fan? That is what I am wondering...is the wire even connected to anything on the pigtail end and if so where, and what to. I would have thought it would be as simple as, connect to tow vehicle, turn on lights and boom. But no luck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maybe there is a fuse missing? I seem to recall some saying this but I can’t remember where they found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dahillbilly

Thank you for the reply. Yes I did check the camera itself and it does work and will power on when connected via different means. I have been able to rule out that it is a camera issue. How did you track it to a garage fan? That is what I am wondering...is the wire even connected to anything on the pigtail end and if so where, and what to.

Found it by pulling each fuse one at a time. I had power all the time & I changed the wires over to the running lights. Which is a good spot to start, remove the pre-wired camera mount & make sure the wires are connected. If they are try ---
This may seem like a odd way to do this BUT, disconnect all power AC & DC. Pull all the fuses, apply power to the pigtail where the camera goes & then using a test light or voltmeter see if you have any power at a fuse holder. Good luck

LBR

Look for a fuse holder close in the battery area that the wires seem to be hooked up to, but said holder doesn't have a fuse in it. The factory set our entire wired system up for the camera, less the fuse.

Rysonn

Look for a fuse holder close in the battery area that the wires seem to be hooked up to, but said holder doesn't have a fuse in it. The factory set our entire wired system up for the camera, less the fuse.
When you say fuse where the battery is are you talking about the circuit breaker panel inside the rv or some other location?

LBR

When you say fuse where the battery is are you talking about the circuit breaker panel inside the rv or some other location?
In our CY, it is in the front compartment with all the main trailer components and wiring....batteries, circuit breakers, hydraulics, and the "mass" of wiring. Look for a single fuse holder...it is possibly a plastic/rubber holder with a removable cap. If you do have such, and it does not have a fuse, that may be it. It also may not even be hooked to pos and neg from the factory.

Rysonn

In our CY, it is in the front compartment with all the main trailer components and wiring....batteries, circuit breakers, hydraulics, and the "mass" of wiring. Look for a single fuse holder...it is possibly a plastic/rubber holder with a removable cap. If you do have such, and it does not have a fuse, that may be it. It also may not even be hooked to pos and neg from the factory.

I am at ours now and just not sure where to look. I have the breaker box inside the rv, didn't see much there. I have a panel on the outside with the hot water heater. I have a storage bin with no wires.

Are we talking about something on the underside of the rv?

Rysonn

Ok, after about 2 hours of pulling stuff apart, here is all I know.

1) the camera works, I tested it and there is no issue with the camera itself.
2) the camera is, in fact wired. I pulled off the housing off the rear of the RV and it is wired to a white (ground) and white and green (power) wire.
3) Most of all of the other wiring comes down the wall by the bathroom, in the the entertainment center and in to the fuse box.
4) The only place I see a white and green and white wires coming in to that area are actually coming up from the floor in the entertainment center. At that point the carbon monoxide detector is spliced in, then the green and white wire goes to the 5th spot down on my fuse box.
5) The writing on the fuse label for the 5th spot is sloppy as **** and can't be read.
6) The 5th spot on the fuse box does have a 15amp fuse installed and it does work.

So at this point I get that the carbon monoxide detector has power because it is wired to the green/white wire coming out of the fuse box. But then the rest of the wire disappears into the floor of the entertainment center.

From there, where does it go. Clearly, somehow if it is the same green/white wire, it goes from the floor of the entertainment center all the way up to the furrion bracket on the top of the RV. Why would this set of wires seem to be the only ones not running through the ceiling with all of the other ones? Why would it go to the highest possible point on the outside of the RV and then come through the floor of the entertainment center?

Most people say theirs is always hot which would indicate that whether it is connected to the tow vehicle or not it would still get power. Others say the lights on the tow vehicle need to be on in order to supply power. Mine would appear, at least, not to be wired to a light rendering the need for the tow vehicle to be connected and lights on a non issue. It would appear that mine too would always be wired hot.

I have also heard many say that there should be an inline fuse holder that I might need to put a fuse in to. Where could this inline fuse holder be? Again if the wire is at the furrion mount on one and, and I see it coming up through the floor in the entertainment center dues it just go from those 2 points? Again odd that it is the only one coming up from the floor. If it is supposed to somehow be going near the battery I'm not sure where. I can say that the white and red wires for the batter ALSO go down the same hole in the floor as this wire. I have looked around the battery on the tongue and at this point I have been able to find this mysterious wire anywhere. I always thought inline fuses were supposed to be relatively close to the battery.

Logic would dictate that if it is going down into a whole in the floor where it just so happens that the white and red battery cables are also going that anything going down that hole would be making its way, at some point, towards the battery and all of the other wires going up through the wall are just wiring up to the item then power.

I am at a total loss here.

Flick

Ok, after about 2 hours of pulling stuff apart, here is all I know.

1) the camera works, I tested it and there is no issue with the camera itself.
2) the camera is, in fact wired. I pulled off the housing off the rear of the RV and it is wired to a white (ground) and white and green (power) wire.
3) Most of all of the other wiring comes down the wall by the bathroom, in the the entertainment center and in to the fuse box.
4) The only place I see a white and green and white wires coming in to that area are actually coming up from the floor in the entertainment center. At that point the carbon monoxide detector is spliced in, then the green and white wire goes to the 5th spot down on my fuse box.
5) The writing on the fuse label for the 5th spot is sloppy as **** and can't be read.
6) The 5th spot on the fuse box does have a 15amp fuse installed and it does work.

So at this point I get that the carbon monoxide detector has power because it is wired to the green/white wire coming out of the fuse box. But then the rest of the wire disappears into the floor of the entertainment center.

From there, where does it go. Clearly, somehow if it is the same green/white wire, it goes from the floor of the entertainment center all the way up to the furrion bracket on the top of the RV. Why would this set of wires seem to be the only ones not running through the ceiling with all of the other ones? Why would it go to the highest possible point on the outside of the RV and then come through the floor of the entertainment center?

Most people say theirs is always hot which would indicate that whether it is connected to the tow vehicle or not it would still get power. Others say the lights on the tow vehicle need to be on in order to supply power. Mine would appear, at least, not to be wired to a light rendering the need for the tow vehicle to be connected and lights on a non issue. It would appear that mine too would always be wired hot.

I have also heard many say that there should be an inline fuse holder that I might need to put a fuse in to. Where could this inline fuse holder be? Again if the wire is at the furrion mount on one and, and I see it coming up through the floor in the entertainment center dues it just go from those 2 points? Again odd that it is the only one coming up from the floor. If it is supposed to somehow be going near the battery I'm not sure where. I can say that the white and red wires for the batter ALSO go down the same hole in the floor as this wire. I have looked around the battery on the tongue and at this point I have been able to find this mysterious wire anywhere. I always thought inline fuses were supposed to be relatively close to the battery.

Logic would dictate that if it is going down into a whole in the floor where it just so happens that the white and red battery cables are also going that anything going down that hole would be making its way, at some point, towards the battery and all of the other wires going up through the wall are just wiring up to the item then power.

I am at a total loss here.

Ok. What is your preference? Do you want your camera to be on when your on the road and your lights are on like a lot of folks have theirs or do you prefer it to be wired hot with a switch to cut it off. Since you likely either have a fuse you can’t find or etc., you can simply start from scratch and wire it in the way you want it. Either way, it’s not that difficult. But I do understand that you simply should have been able to screw it on and go camping.

Rysonn

Ok. What is your preference? Do you want your camera to be on when your on the road and your lights are on like a lot of folks have theirs or do you prefer it to be wired hot with a switch to cut it off. Since you likely either have a fuse you can’t find or etc., you can simply start from scratch and wire it in the way you want it. Either way, it’s not that difficult. But I do understand that you simply should have been able to screw it on and go camping.

I would be fine with it being on with the tow vehicle connected and lights on.

Flick

I would be fine with it being on with the tow vehicle connected and lights on.

I have mine hooked up hot that is switched. I picked up a hot wire from the rear porch light switch.
Someone hopefully will tell you how they did theirs by picking up a hot and ground from a clearance light so your camera is running when your lights are on. Unless you can make the wire hot that is already there, that would be an option. The camera could be mounted close to the light with a jumper that could be siliconed.

h2oskierc

Do we know how these are wired from Heartland? I’m assuming they have a standard way of doing it.

danemayer

Do we know how these are wired from Heartland? I’m assuming they have a standard way of doing it.

They've done them at least 2 different ways. One for cameras that are only used for backup. I think they only get power when the tow vehicle backup lights are on. The other way is for cameras that give you a view of traffic behind you. Power is continuous.

LBR

Our CY had a dedicated wire to the camera from the front electrical bay. It was wired hot 24/7 from the factory, so I fished the wire up to the 7 way pigtail box and tied into the tail light circuit. This allows the camera to only work when park or headlights are on. The monitor is on when traveling to see those otherwise hidden tailgaters.

Rysonn

Ok, well, problem solved. I want to storage today with the intention of cutting the existing wiring and tapping in to the marker light just below the camera. I take the camera mount and marker light off and as I am looking at the wires and there it is. They wired them backwards. Power to ground and vice versa. I cut them, reconnected, correctly, and boom, camera fires right up.

So crazy.

h2oskierc

Assuming my dealer used Heartland’s wiring, it is wired off the vehicle lights. As soon as I turned my headlights on the camera came on. Like that it is observation and not reverse camera.

Lost_my_beer

Ok, well, problem solved. I want to storage today with the intention of cutting the existing wiring and tapping in to the marker light just below the camera. I take the camera mount and marker light off and as I am looking at the wires and there it is. They wired them backwards. Power to ground and vice versa. I cut them, reconnected, correctly, and boom, camera fires right up.

So crazy.

How did u tell they were wired backwards? I am in the same boat, good cam, no power when hooked up.
Pigtail behind the cam has a red and blk wire. They are wired to a white and a white with yellow stripe. Red is with wht/yellow and the blk is with the white. Is that correct?
I did find an inline fuse in the batt compartment all by itself, but it already has a 10a fuse.
I guess my question is, which wire is power, and which is ground?
Pulling my hair out too!
Any insite would be mucho appreciated.
Troy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
How did u tell they were wired backwards?
Troy
Troy, you will need to use your digital multimeter. The black probe will be the neutral, red provide for positive. If you have the probes on, black to the positive wire red to neutral you will see -voltage (-12.75). If the black is on the neutral wire and red to positive you will see voltage (12.75). These voltage numbers will vary, you are only interested in the -.
I'm not sure I explained clearly, but I tried.

Peace
Dave