Problems getting into RV Parks/Campgrounds with the size of 4200?

OEFVET

No problems getting my 4200 set up at the North American Heartland Owners Club Rally

fe1e7f3b55650810c100acf146f6ea7d.jpg

tomsws6

Im trying to upload a vid but Im a horrible techy... Anyway we moved a few miles down the road to Killens Pond State park in De and I will say it was a little interesting with our 4200.. The have 4 camping arms with a oval and the sites off to the sides.. And they are totally wooded so I pulled up the the arm entrance and walked down the lane to inspect the site and the lane to see were I was going to have or not have issues. I decided that the best course of action was to just "back her down" and on into the site. I did use my wife as the spotter and had to say the famed "If I cant see you............" line about 20times in 4 min but it worked out great. Were staying here for another 6 days and the awnings are out with the side porch.

oscar

It works most of the time, if you are good. Some people are better than others. I've been messing with trucks and trailers for more than half a century. I've held CDL's or the equivalent on two continents. If it's going to fit, I'll get it in there. Does it always fit? No. Do I have some tree rash here and there? Yes. Have I had some "contact" between 5er and TV when the inclines got a little over the limit? Yes. Have I had some (minor) contact on the *** end.....(quiet voice) yes........ Get out and look.....walk it first... or, in my case pop the Brompton (folding bike) and drive down the lane visualizing your 65x8.5x12 movement...... So the answer to your question is basically (again)... if you're good it fits....most of the time.

porthole

Retired
No problems getting my 4200 set up at the North American Heartland Owners Club Rally

And just down the street a bit, I couldn't make the Ford turn tight enough to get past the fence. Since the ground was a little soft and rather then have the neighbors move their trucks we made the site a pull through thanks to Eric and Lou :cool:

EPaulikonis

Im trying to upload a vid but Im a horrible techy... Anyway we moved a few miles down the road to Killens Pond State park in De and I will say it was a little interesting with our 4200.. The have 4 camping arms with a oval and the sites off to the sides.. And they are totally wooded so I pulled up the the arm entrance and walked down the lane to inspect the site and the lane to see were I was going to have or not have issues. I decided that the best course of action was to just "back her down" and on into the site. I did use my wife as the spotter and had to say the famed "If I cant see you............" line about 20times in 4 min but it worked out great. Were staying here for another 6 days and the awnings are out with the side porch.

My wife and I use 2-way hands-free radios when backing. Really nice to have because I'm only listening for one command from her over the link..."Stop!" She has to speak the entire time I'm backing, so that gets interesting at times. The speaking is needed to avoid the delay in the hands-free VOX setup. If you're not talking constantly, you'd hit whatever your spotter was trying to warn you about before the voice came through. It's also helpful because she can now wander around to view all sides of the rig watching for overhead and side clearance all the way around. Highly recommend the setup and procedure to stay out of the dog house, or worse...divorce court! Happy backing.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One thing that works better than the radios is the cellphone. If you have a hands free in your truck then the person who is directing the backing can be on the cellphone and there is no delay. You as the driver do not talk, just listen. We do use the radio at times and cellphone and times but hand signals work the best for us. And anytime I cannot see DW in the mirror I immediately stop completely.

avvidclif

Yep, come to a complete stop and wait for her to figure out I can't see her. Works every time. I haven't tried the hands free but will. That sounds good and finding 2 talkies that have charged batteries is sometimes a challenge.

apc427

We have had two instances where I called ahead and gave them my length and they still put us in a spot two small. luckily they had bigger spots. The first time, the site was big enough (barely) but the tight curve to get in was not wide enough. This last time, I called ahead three different times and spoke to different people to get assurances the site they booked us in was big enough. Sure enough we arrived last night and it was not. they did have a bigger spot though and we were able to stay. Good Sam parks and KOA parks so far have been easily able to accommodate us. We have no regrets getting such a big rig as we needed more space to be comfortable living full time. We love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beck-mark

just have to plan ahead and call the park if you've never been there. park rangers in federal and state parks are usually very friendly and full of very useful information. you will soon learn how to deal with that size rig. I can speak from experience when I went from 27' 5th wheel to 33' 5th wheel I eliminated some state parks in the Carolinas that I had been to. i am at 35' now and can go anywhere my 33' would go. although I've seen some rigs in some places and wondered how in the world they got in there and I hope I am here when they pull out so I can witness this. a lot of smaller parks have tight turns with low overhanging limbs you have to really plan ahead and sometimes walk through the circle before pulling in so your not trying to back out or convince a ranger he needs to cut down a tree. camping is an adventure so just be flexible one time my wife and I were up in Wisconsin and had reservations at a national park, when we got there we didn't fit and no other sites were available. turned out right outside the park entrance was a juke joint that had several camp sites with full hookups. the ranger at the park let us keep our pass for the reservation with refund so we could come and go into the park for free and the juke joint had live bands playing every night we were there. it was before kids so we had a blast.

What we have found is when calling ahead and telling the prospective RV park that we are hauling a 44 foot 5th wheel with a Ford 350 truck. when we ask the park is able to handle a 44 foot 5th wheel the answer I almost always yes.

When we get there find that f we are very careful, we might slip into a space bare long enough for the rig and just ide enough if we don't make a mist Sometimes, the office staff will venture out out and look the rig wide eyed and gawk in wonder at the actual size.

Thee have ben a few instances where we were directed to sites that couldn't accommodate a30 footer. One time it took 2 hours of maneuvering and 4 hours of arguing to get back onto a road without mishap.

Any suggestions on how to pick a good par that is appropriate for a larger rig?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Any suggestions on how to pick a good park that is appropriate for a larger rig?

Look up reviews of the parks you want to go to on the internet . . .

Chances are there will be others with large RV's that have attempted to go there and they will post about their issues!

apc427

Even though they tell me over the phone it will fit, the one question I ask now is how long the pad is.

whp4262

If I have time I use Google Earth and plug in the camp site address for a overhead view. Works pretty well unless there is a thick canopy of trees.