Problems with AC

Camper51

I have a 2013 Key Largo. I continue to be frustated with the inefficiency of the AC. Recently, after running it for 7 hours there was a 5 degree difference between inside and outside. A service representive from the dealer came to look at it, but wasn't able to see a problem. He was going to contact the factory, but months later we've heard nothing. We have dual air conditioners, but neither one seems to be running efficiently. This is frustrating and a problem we never experienced with any of our other RVs. Any thoughts?

danemayer

Hi Camper51,

I'm not surprised you're frustrated if the dealer has left you hanging for several months. Your unit probably has the new "whisper-quiet" ducting and the tech may not even know what to expect from it. Sounds like maybe he marked it down as "no trouble found" and never contacted Heartland.

You might want to call Heartland Customer Service and see if they can recommend another dealer near you who has experience with the new design. 877-262-8032. Have your Vin # ready.

Another consideration is that we've had a pretty hot summer in most parts of the country. If it's 100 degrees, it's pretty hard to cool these large rigs - especially if they're in direct sun. We ran into this in Colorado last July. We had to put reflective material in the windows to help cut the heat from the sun and it was still hard to keep the inside comfy.

Camper51

Thanks for your input on this. Whisper-quiet---I doubt it, it actually sounds like there's a freight train running across the top of the unit. Both air conditioners are equally loud. There is no sleeping with the bedroom AC running. We will contact Heartland to see if we can get this headache resolved. Thanks again.

rjr6150

Camper51
Not saying you have the same problem as ours. Picked up our unit in March and really didn't have the weather to check operation of the units. Fast forward to the Gillette rally interminant cooling on the front unit. Took it into the local dealer who checked everything out all ok. Now I have HVAC experience and know this wasn't normal.
Made an appointment with a mobil repair service in Loveland, Co. fifteen minutes later and a call to Dometic a new unit was ordered. Guess what I'm saying is maybe look around for someone else.

rick_debbie_gallant

We have the "carrier air v" in our 3670rl Big Horn. No problems here with the way it cools or sounds. Perhaps with all the dometic product line and problems it is time for a new supplier. Don't flame me bro.

wildwolfproducts

Mine still has the quick cool down flaps. I can open those in the back and it cools down faster. With the front and back running wide open sitting in the hot sun. Out side temps were 110 degrees. Cooled down to 72 inside within 4 hours.
My front one sounds like a 747 running. But we run it to drown out the noises outside. So I for one like it that way, Don't like that it shakes the unit when the compressor kicks in though. That wakes me up....
Pete

Redtech

Camper51,

I have a 2013 LM Rushmore with dual A/Cs and had a similar issue. The dealer came out for a service call to check for the source of what was att the 9th plumbing leak (another story) and excessive condensation on the bedroom ceiling. The tech found that the divider between the supply and return ducts on the roof was at an angle front to back. The seals on the bottom of the A/Cs to separate the supply and return was straight front to back. Becuase of this the supply was dumping into the return and the A/Cs were not operating very efficiently. The dealer fixed it when I took it in to fix the afore mentioned leaks. Now I can easily keep the coach at 78 when the August Florida heat is in the upper 90's. Hope this helps you.

Dave

Camper51

Dave, Thanks for your input. We are beyond frustrated with this unit and the problems we've been having. The AC issue, leaks down in the storage bay. Now our microwave has stopped working. We have now closed up for the winter, if we keep this unit until spring, we'll try to resolve the problems then. Thanks again.

mikeandconnie

ac 067.JPGac 065.JPGac 066.JPGI had the same problem. The tech removed both ACs for leaking when it was raining. He also told me I should see a big inprovement in cooling. He found many holes/ open spaces in the divider and the box. He taped up the box replaced all the seals and vacuumed all the saw dust out of this area. The last week it has been uppers 90s and we are very cool and the ac are cutting off/ on in auto mode. So far it seems much better. He a picture of the area.

mikeandconnie

Our microwave went out also. One call to Frigidaire and they where at our door the next day. The tech also suggested we unpluged it when diconnecting and connecting our power. He said they are very sensitive.

Camper51

Thanks for your input on the AC and microwave problems. Initially, we called Frigidaire, who gave us the names of 2 certified repair services. We made an appt. with one and he never showed up. So, called the 2nd one who said they were too busy to make a service call but would look at it if we brought it in. So we removed it from the Key Largo, took it to the shop and were told that they don't do warranty work on items that they don't sell. So, brought it back home and made a call to the service dept. at the dealer. They said that they were going to be in our area today and would pick it up at our house. They never showed or called. Typical. Just frustrating to have so many problems, don't know how much more we're willing to put up with. We've had several campers, never had problems with the campers and service like we have with this one. Disappointing.