ProFlex RV Sealant

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some guidance from my fellow Heartlanders.

I have been using ProFlex sealant as a caulk for the exterior of my Elkridge over the past year. I have been having a problem with it not staying adhered to the RV. It only lasts a few months. Based on online reviews, it seem ProFlex has very high marks. I have been making sure the surface is clean and have completely removed the old caulk. Does anyone have another idea? Does anyone know what Heartland uses at the factory? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Garypowell

Got some from Amazon (actual NY supplier) just scrapped off the old and laid on the new. Had to learn a little technique but after a month no problems.

Not it sure if your caulk is "old" but maybe others will have some idea.

mlpeloquin

Pointing on the side seams and around plugs etc. Acrylic Laytex. I use blue painters tape and my finger. Quick and easy. On the roof Dicor.

MTPockets

I use Proflex and adherence is not an issue... In fact, it is more sticky than any I've used in the past, including Dicor. It seems to last very well. What I've applied is going on three years and still great shape. I've found Proflex to be a bit harder to work with because it is very tacky, but with careful application, it's worth it. You had either a bad tube or something on the surface if it's not sticking.

TedS

tarheel, what are you using for a cleaner? Denatured alcohol or acetone work for me.

mlpeloquin

Acetone is a great solvent and terrific degreaser. Use gloves when using it and plenty of ventilation. Not good on the liver. You should do a follow up with isopropyl alcohol to remove the film acetone leaves behind.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Acetone also melts a lot of plastics and is not friendly toward some rubber.
Be careful with whatever you use, test a spot first.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

I just checked with plant 2 (LM/BH/BC) and was told that for:

White, they use: Manus 75-AM from Titan
75-AM_Clear_Sealant.jpg

They also said other plants may use other brands of sealant. Tempro was another brand mentioned.

Last edited:

NHCelt

Tarheel...I have to say that I have used proflex in the past, and am really not much of a fan. Hard to use and seems to attract dirt.

Jim, thanks for contacting the factory. I am picking up my BH 3270 next week and would like to maintain my seams with whatever they use...particularly interested in what they use for their ivory sidewalls in BH as I am not seeing any ivory sealants out there....but perhaps they are using white...I'll know soon!

I have belonged to many forums in the past, but having manufacturer representative input here is really a treat....thanks so much! This will be our sixth towable but first Heartland. I'm looking forward to being a productive member of society here once I get used to the BH ☺

FYI....I found the trempro, but couldn't find the other....

TremPro 644 Silicone Sealant - 10.1-Fl-Oz Cartridge is widely available.[/h]
Celt