Progressive 50 AMP SP

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Our surge protector is hardwired. It keeps shutting off the power and the readout is showing the E4 code. If I shut down one ac or the other, the power stays on. While I am waiting for them to come and check the pedestal, I got to wondering what the normal readouts should be as far as each leg and how many amps the rig should use running both ac's. I am sure it is different for any rig, but is there a ballpark number? Its showing 20-23 amps with one ac going and around 42 with both. Also, I monitored our readout and on Leg one the voltage was dropping down to 103 and it is not up to 108. I am not sure if our rig is pulling to much power or not. I have also checked the end of the cord and it is not burnt nor is it hot IMO. It is a very hot day here.

Average on 1 AC - L-1 109 and 20 amps L-2 113 and 3amps 60 H

jmarnell

The Hughes Power Watchdog on our Cyclone usually shows about 15 amps for each air conditioner running. We have Dometic Brisk 2 units. When I run 2 of the AC's I usually see about 15 amps on each power leg, so no problem at all running both on 50 amp service.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
As mentioned, each AC is going to draw 13-15 amps each BUT what other appliances are on? The converter is going to draw variable amperage depending on demand, the WH on electric will draw 10A. Do you have a residential fridge? More amps. Don’t forget the other appliances like TVs, 110v lamps, etc
Low voltage at the pedestal is a symptom of a problematic electrical system

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
As mentioned, each AC is going to draw 13-15 amps each BUT what other appliances are on? The converter is going to draw variable amperage depending on demand, the WH on electric will draw 10A. Do you have a residential fridge? More amps. Don’t forget the other appliances like TVs, 110v lamps, etc
Low voltage at the pedestal is a symptom of a problematic electrical system
We have everything else off but a couple of computer monitors. We have the dual fridge not the residential. Could one of the ac's be drawing to much power? We are averaging a 22 amp pull right now. When I turn the front ac on the L-1 voltage drops to 103 which is enough to shut the rig off I believe.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
The Hughes Power Watchdog on our Cyclone usually shows about 15 amps for each air conditioner running. We have Dometic Brisk 2 units. When I run 2 of the AC's I usually see about 15 amps on each power leg, so no problem at all running both on 50 amp service.
The 2 previous parks we were at to this one we had zero issues. I want to say it is a power issue here, but I am not ruling out the rig either. Appreciate the help.

Dahillbilly

need to have CG staff check the pedestal; also from those readings I'd say both AC's are on the same leg!! good luck

david-steph2018

It is a chance it is the park issue. But also, you said "it is hot here." so how crowded is the park and how big are the rigs on your circuit for the area. If the park is very crowded, it could result in low voltage, especially in high heat with everybody running AC units to cool down.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
It is a chance it is the park issue. But also, you said "it is hot here." so how crowded is the park and how big are the rigs on your circuit for the area. If the park is very crowded, it could result in low voltage, especially in high heat with everybody running AC units to cool down.
The park is not full at all but will be coming this weekend. Unfortunately we are at a dreaded buddy site park but currently do not have a neighbor sharing the pedestal. The awning side neighbor is not having power issues. There are a couple of huge MH's down the line from us, but 3 empty sites between us.

david-steph2018

The park is not full at all but will be coming this weekend. Unfortunately we are at a dreaded buddy site park but currently do not have a neighbor sharing the pedestal. The awning side neighbor is not having power issues. There are a couple of huge MH's down the line from us, but 3 empty sites between us.
Good chance it is the park issue. If you have a generator, try running the Ac on it to see how much the draw.

rhodies1

Protector reading 103 will shut you down. This is the low voltage protection mode, it’s senses this and is protecting you appliances.As someone mentioned, it sounds like a park issue.

NYSUPstater

6 words:
Park Issue
Park Issue
Park Issue

Your surge protector as mentioned is doing it's job and if only showing low 100 volts BEFORE the RV, then it's on the park side of things.

We had something like thins happen a few years back and CG staff came out to check things and lo-n-behold, problem on park side. Solution: run 1 A/C at a time.

travelin2

We have everything else off but a couple of computer monitors. We have the dual fridge not the residential. Could one of the ac's be drawing to much power? We are averaging a 22 amp pull right now. When I turn the front ac on the L-1 voltage drops to 103 which is enough to shut the rig off I believe.
Everything thing else off? Is the WH off or operating on propane only, if on electric there’s 10A when heating water. Is the fridge on propane, if not it draws 6A on the electric setting. As I mentioned the power converter draws 1-6 amps unless the breaker is off but it generates the 12v needed for the rig.
Your amperage requirements are too much of a demand for the park’s electrical system. If none of your neighbors are experiencing the same problem it’s the pedestal.
High amp requirements reduces voltage and the surge protector is protecting your equipment.

Bogie

It seems that way. I have tried to understand why the factory wired it like that but I guess its above my pay grade.
As others have commented, the pedestal may be the problem. But.....

If the factory wired both Air Conditioners on the same branch of the 50 amp, it was probably wired incorrectly. This should be a relatively easy fix (if it's not above your pay grade), if you know how to remove a breaker from a service panel.

Disconnect all power to the RV from the pedestal. Inside the service panel, every other breaker is on on L1 and the one next to it is on L2. If both AC are on L1 you can pull the breaker for one AC and swap it's position with a equal rated breaker on L2. That should help balance the load between the two legs. If the breakers you are swapping are close together, you may not even have to disconnect the wire attached to the breakers.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

If the factory wired both Air Conditioners on the same branch of the 50 amp, it was probably wired incorrectly. This should be a relatively easy fix (if it's not above your pay grade), if you know how to remove a breaker from a service panel.

Disconnect all power to the RV from the pedestal. Inside the service panel, every other breaker is on on L1 and the one next to it is on L2. If both AC are on L1 you can pull the breaker for one AC and swap it's position with a equal rated breaker on L2. That should help balance the load between the two legs. If the breakers you are swapping are close together, you may not even have to disconnect the wire attached to the breakers.
I will look into doing that. I was unaware that each ac needed to be on a different leg. We have been living in this rig for 6 years without issue. We did find out yesterday that it is an issue with the pedestal. It keeps dropping power and the hotter it gets outside the worse it gets. They have even decided to only put a 30 amp unit into the spot next to us until they can get it fixed.

travelin2

I just went out and turned both AC units in our ‘17 BH, 15K. Each unit draws 14A. In your original post you say one of yours is drawing 20 plus!?!?!
Something isn’t right…

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

I want to make sure I understand you correctly before I try this. After the main 50 amp breaker, I have dual 15/20 breakers the rest of the way across.

CP.jpg

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I just went out and turned both AC units in our ‘17 BH, 15K. Each unit draws 14A. In your original post you say one of yours is drawing 20 plus!?!?!
Something isn’t right…
No they are both drawing about the same as yours, just on one leg. L-2 only has about a 3 amp draw on it.

Bogie

I want to make sure I understand you correctly before I try this. After the main 50 amp breaker, I have dual 15/20 breakers the rest of the way across.

View attachment 68520
So we have to dig a little deeper.

Can't tell from the picture how the back plane of the panel is arranged. On my Sundance, the 50 breakers are in the middle and L1 and L2 on the back plane are to the left and right of the 50's respectively. Your picture would suggest that each twin breakers sets alternate between L1 and L2. If that's so, then "as marked" each AC is on a separate leg. That is not consistent with your measurement.

This then adds another question. Are the breakers marked correctly? It's not that unusual for the factory to mark them incorrectly. So the first thing I would do is turn on each ac separately and then turn off the breaker associated with it to verify they are in fact marked correctly. Next step would depend on what you find.

Do you have a brand and model number of the panel in order to look it up? That would help especially if you are uncomfortable working on this.