Progressive EMS

scottyb

Choprpilot76, I installed mine just behind my basement wall on the panel side of the transfer switch, so it would monitor both shore and gen power. The hardest part of the installation is working in the confined spaces of the basement. Other than that, it is a simple project that anybody with basic electrical skills can complete. The instructions are good and easy to follow. I temporarily installed the display in the basement near the UDC. I have since decided that I like it there so I can see what is going on when I flip the breaker after connecting the shore power. Coincidentally, the very 1st pedestal I connected to away from home had issues, and it let me know immediately while I was standing there looking at it. Sorry, I didn't take any photos.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Does anyone have some pics of one installed on a newer model Cyclone, I am curious about locations an what not? I am debating wether or not to tackle this project myself or have it done. I haven't gotten a labor cost quote yet, do any of you know what this would cost (labor/install), roughly?

post #96

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135047&viewfull=1#post135047

choprpilot76

post #96

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135047&viewfull=1#post135047

Thank you, I will call Holman this morning and ask them how much to install it. If it's reasonable then I will have them do it, if not, I will tackle it myself. BTW, technorv.com and makariosrv.com $296 and $309.

choprpilot76

BTW, do I install this AFTER the transfer box, to protect generator and pedestal power? I read through the directions and it has installation instructions for two types of set-up, one for before the xfer box and the for after the xfer box. Sorry guys, but I am a complete cherry when it comes to the RV world, but I am LOVING this forum. Thanks for the patience and all the useful help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking the same as you.
Although I don't have an ATS I would mount the EMS after the switch.

Peace
Dave

whp4262

I wired my EMS before the transfer switch so if the EMS goes south I can still get power from the generator for the coach. Not saying that it can't happen but I don't recall ever reading a post or hearing a story of appliances etc. being damaged by a faulty generator. Maybe if someone else on the forum has heard of this happening they will chime in.

scottyb

I'm thinking the same as you.
Although I don't have an ATS I would mount the EMS after the switch.

Peace
Dave

I agree. It really boils down to; Do you want to protect the transfer switch or not. I chose not, and will just bypass it until I can replace it, if it ever goes out. I would rather protect my entire coach in the event the the generator ever malfunctions.

choprpilot76

So of the fifty thousand manuals that came with my RV for the various manufactures of the components, the one I didn't get was for the two air conditioners. I am currently getting an answer from my dealer, but in the mean time, I needed some info from the manual that you all might be able to answer. The EMS installation instructions says to check you A/C manual to see if it has a time delay, which then determines which setting to select on the EMS during install, the 15 second or 136 second delay. Are the A/C units on the Heartlands standard a s a specific brand/model? If so, can you tell me which time delay setting to use? Thank you.

Daron

wdk450

I wired my EMS before the transfer switch so if the EMS goes south I can still get power from the generator for the coach. Not saying that it can't happen but I don't recall ever reading a post or hearing a story of appliances etc. being damaged by a faulty generator. Maybe if someone else on the forum has heard of this happening they will chime in.

I also wired in my EMS BEFORE the transfer switch, but for a different reason. I have a portable generator that rides in my truck and connects through the shore power cord, and have a 1500 watt pure sine inverter wired into the transfer switch in place of the generator input. I have heard that the EMS doesn't "like" inverter power (although mine being pure sine wave it should be identical to shore power). I have a neutral to ground shorting plug for my generator outlet if the EMS doesn't like the normal portable generator wiring, although I can just shut down the EMS with the remote and still have some protection.

danemayer

So of the fifty thousand manuals that came with my RV for the various manufactures of the components, the one I didn't get was for the two air conditioners. I am currently getting an answer from my dealer, but in the mean time, I needed some info from the manual that you all might be able to answer. The EMS installation instructions says to check you A/C manual to see if it has a time delay, which then determines which setting to select on the EMS during install, the 15 second or 136 second delay. Are the A/C units on the Heartlands standard a s a specific brand/model? If so, can you tell me which time delay setting to use? Thank you.

Daron
Daron,

Most of the Air Conditioning units are Dometic models, but there are various models. The bedroom unit is different from the living room. There are high profile and low profile units. Some have heat strips and some are heat pumps. Some units are ducted, some not. So there's no standard answer. Looking at a couple of Dometic spec sheets, I don't see any mention of time delays.

I would assume that the A/C units don't have delays built in and you should set the EMS to 136 seconds.

jimtoo

I think the only time delay on any of the A/C's is "IF" the a/c has been running, it will not restart until the pressures equalize or get low enough on the discharge side of the compressor so that it does not try to restart under a load and cause damage to motor or blow a fuse due to overload of compressor. This is not very long... maybe somewhere around 1 minute.

porthole

Retired
To add to Jim's post, the start rely is either in the AC control boards or the T-stat.

The newer units add the delay automatically.
Older units - no delay.

So the EMS is either taking advantage of the built in delay by reconnecting asap or forcing the 2 minute delay before power is transferred.

choprpilot76

Thanks guys. Either way, if I am understanding this, the way it is working, putting it on the 136 second delay instead of the 15 seconds, can only help the situation, and wouldn't hurt the AC regardless of it's built in timers. You know, oddly enough, the Army teaches it's pilots to know their aircraft systems to great details; electrical, hydraulics, drivetrain, power plant, etc.. but I have ALWAYS struggled with electrical systems. I was born completely electrically STUPID, lol. But, with that said, I have read the installation instructions on this thing and it seems to take know working knowledge of electricity to install it, just more of a plug and play unit (just be sure to plug in the right spots, lol). The EMS arrives Tuesday, and I plan on installing it within a day or two of it arriving. I already went to Lowes and got the wire. Now I am just doing research on which under-sink water filter system to use that will make winterizing easy :cool:. Thanks again.

danemayer

Thanks guys. Either way, if I am understanding this, the way it is working, putting it on the 136 second delay instead of the 15 seconds, can only help the situation, and wouldn't hurt the AC regardless of it's built in timers. You know, oddly enough, the Army teaches it's pilots to know their aircraft systems to great details; electrical, hydraulics, drivetrain, power plant, etc.. but I have ALWAYS struggled with electrical systems. I was born completely electrically STUPID, lol. But, with that said, I have read the installation instructions on this thing and it seems to take know working knowledge of electricity to install it, just more of a plug and play unit (just be sure to plug in the right spots, lol). The EMS arrives Tuesday, and I plan on installing it within a day or two of it arriving. I already went to Lowes and got the wire. Now I am just doing research on which under-sink water filter system to use that will make winterizing easy :cool:. Thanks again.
The safe setting is 136 seconds.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Our EMS just saved us again. Pulled into a campsite today in Moses Lake Washington and we couldn't figure out why our power wouldn't activate. We pulled our power cable over to the pedestal at the next site over and wallah, we had power. I let the maintenance guy know about it, he came over and found that the people that had left this morning had fried the ground post, melting it to one leg of the 50 amp circuit on the site that we were at. If it wasn't for the EMS probably would've fried everything in our unit. This is the second time the EMS is saved our Bighorn.

Rod Ditrich

choprpilot76

Our EMS just saved us again. Pulled into a campsite today in Moses Lake Washington and we couldn't figure out why our power wouldn't activate. We pulled our power cable over to the pedestal at the next site over and wallah, we had power. I let the maintenance guy know about it, he came over and found that the people that had left this morning had fried the ground post, melting it to one leg of the 50 amp circuit on the site that we were at. If it wasn't for the EMS probably would've fried everything in our unit. This is the second time the EMS is saved our Bighorn.

That is so good to know. There has never been any convincing needed, I know good surge protection is needed in any home and of course the same would obviously hold true in an RV. No shocker there, good to know that this model I am installing has a good reputation for doing it's intended job properly.

wdk450

If you can understand the pressures and flows in a water hose, you can understand basic electricity. Water pressure is akin to Voltage (electrical pressure), water flow is akin to Amperage (electrical particle flow), and a small (or kinked) hose is akin to Ohms resistance (resistance to electrical current flow).

choprpilot76

Alright gents, I got the EMS in today. Seems pretty easy, I installed the jumper cable into the input tonight here at the house and I'll take the unit out to the RV tomorrow and finish it up. Those 6 gauge wires are a bear to manipulate. I have but one question, the bypass switch on the remote display, which position should the with be in, up or down? I may be blind but I didn't see anything in the installation/instruction manual.