Progressive EMS

whp4262

Alright gents, I got the EMS in today. Seems pretty easy, I installed the jumper cable into the input tonight here at the house and I'll take the unit out to the RV tomorrow and finish it up. Those 6 gauge wires are a bear to manipulate. I have but one question, the bypass switch on the remote display, which position should the with be in, up or down? I may be blind but I didn't see anything in the installation/instruction manual.

My EMS is set at 136, when you first plug in to shore power you will get nothing for 136 seconds. Then you will hear a clunk from the EMS, the clunk is the contacts closing. After that you will have power to the coach. 136 is probably the safest setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

choprpilot76

My EMS is set at 136, when you first plug in to shore power you will get nothing for 136 seconds. Then you will hear a clunk from the EMS, the clunk is the contacts closing. After that you will have power to the coach. 136 is probably the safest setting.

So I got it installed today. I wish that task on no man, lol, but with that said I wouldn't pay $300 for install either. I think the hardest part was connecting the EMS output side with the sensors, there just isn't enough room in there for all that going on and then to bend all those short lengths of 6 gauge wire. Anyhow, I did it all correctly and it all works, the only issue is that the 136 second delay doesn't work. I pulled the little time jumper tab out to set it from 15 to 136 seconds but the "clunk" sound kicks in after 15 seconds still. So like I said, it all works, I just don't have the longer delay if I want it. I called tech support and they seems stumped but said it should be in the circuit board program, so they are sending a new one. I did learn, that unfortunately the remote display is to thick to fit in the switch panel in the living room. I'm totally bummed about that. Here is a picture of the finished install and location. Fits great there and is easily accessible. I used 4 feet of wire for a jumper cable.

IMG_0564.jpg

Vtxkid

A few of us chose to install the remote on the side wall of the ODC. That way, you can plug into power and get the result before setting up all the other services....

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

choprpilot76

A few of us chose to install the remote on the side wall of the ODC. That way, you can plug into power and get the result before setting up all the other services....

I bought the second remote display, and put it below, I assume in what you're referring to as the UDC, so I have two. What does UDC stand for?

choprpilot76

Universal Docking Center.

Peace
Dave

Ok, well mine is actually just to the left side of the UDC, on the other side of the wall, technically in pass through storage. It is on the wall in the pass through storage, on the back side of the UDC wall. I didn't want to put it in there because that's where all the water routes through, and if the hose from the shore hook-ups bursts then it would spray water all on the remote display, and I figured water and electrical stuff mixing wouldn't be a good thing. I'll take a picture when I'm out there next.

Vtxkid

Ok, well mine is actually just to the left side of the UDC, on the other side of the wall, technically in pass through storage. It is on the wall in the pass through storage, on the back side of the UDC wall. I didn't want to put it in there because that's where all the water routes through, and if the hose from the shore hook-ups bursts then it would spray water all on the remote display, and I figured water and electrical stuff mixing wouldn't be a good thing. I'll take a picture when I'm out there next.

On the backside of the UDC wall as you mention is same area I was talking about. Easy and convenient place to recieve results.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

whp4262

So I got it installed today. I wish that task on no man, lol, but with that said I wouldn't pay $300 for install either. I think the hardest part was connecting the EMS output side with the sensors, there just isn't enough room in there for all that going on and then to bend all those short lengths of 6 gauge wire. Anyhow, I did it all correctly and it all works, the only issue is that the 136 second delay doesn't work. I pulled the little time jumper tab out to set it from 15 to 136 seconds but the "clunk" sound kicks in after 15 seconds still. So like I said, it all works, I just don't have the longer delay if I want it. I called tech support and they seems stumped but said it should be in the circuit board program, so they are sending a new one. I did learn, that unfortunately the remote display is to thick to fit in the switch panel in the living room. I'm totally bummed about that. Here is a picture of the finished install and location. Fits great there and is easily accessible. I used 4 feet of wire for a jumper cable.

View attachment 28892

Looks like a nice installation. I don't know if you did this but when working with the heavy wire it makes it a little easier if you put a loop in the wire just before the connection in the box. Of course that doesn't help much for the leads in the EMS that have the inductive pickup. Also attached a picture of where I mounted my remote display.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 75

choprpilot76

Looks like a nice installation. I don't know if you did this but when working with the heavy wire it makes it a little easier if you put a loop in the wire just before the connection in the box. Of course that doesn't help much for the leads in the EMS that have the inductive pickup. Also attached a picture of where I mounted my remote display.

Yeah, that is where I wanted to install my remote display, in the main switch panel, but the depth of my panel isn't very deep. The remote won't clear it enough to close the door. I'll figure it out, I found a temp place for now. Thanks though. I tried to loop it like the factory did, but couldn't. I mad sure I had enough slack and also clamped the wire access holes good.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

View attachment 28892

Nice installation, but might I also suggest you move that transfer switch and converter off of the floor, as well? If there are any plumbing leaks, you don't want them in it. I mounted both my suppressor and converter to the side of the stairwell frame, so they are not under anything with water in it. It also put the converter in a spot where I can access the fuses and the cooling fan isn't sitting in a pile of dust and debris.

View attachment 28908

choprpilot76

Ok, I need some help here because I am in mass confusion. The label on the power hook up (picture below), translates in my electrically stupid mind, that this can handle both 120 and 240 power input. My brother-in-law is helping me get power ready at my parents house so that when we pull it up there for almost 2 weeks of stay that we can power the whole RV. He is pretty electrically smart and has just in case, he showed it to 3 separate electricians and other RV owners, all who say that yes, based on that label you can plug it into 220 (or 240). With that said, Holman Motors told me when I picked it up and did my walk through to NEVER plug it into 220. Obviously I haven't, but I am confused because that label says otherwise. Would you Jedi Masters please help educate me or clarify this? Thank you.

IMG_0504.jpg

choprpilot76

My EMS is set at 136, when you first plug in to shore power you will get nothing for 136 seconds. Then you will hear a clunk from the EMS, the clunk is the contacts closing. After that you will have power to the coach. 136 is probably the safest setting

BTW, the "clunk" happens about 20 seconds after gen start up, no matter the setting, the power doesn't actually start being supplied until 136 seconds AFTER that. It did that on both circuit boards.

whp4262

Tried to forward you something I sent to one of the other members. Let me know if you got it in your message box.

danemayer

BTW, the "clunk" happens about 20 seconds after gen start up, no matter the setting, the power doesn't actually start being supplied until 136 seconds AFTER that. It did that on both circuit boards.
The transfer switch wait for the generator output to stabilize - about 20 seconds - before it closes the contacts and sends power to the circuit breaker box. In your case, since the EMS is in that path, the 136 second countdown starts after the transfer switch sends power.

whp4262

Ok, I need some help here because I am in mass confusion. The label on the power hook up (picture below), translates in my electrically stupid mind, that this can handle both 120 and 240 power input. My brother-in-law is helping me get power ready at my parents house so that when we pull it up there for almost 2 weeks of stay that we can power the whole RV. He is pretty electrically smart and has just in case, he showed it to 3 separate electricians and other RV owners, all who say that yes, based on that label you can plug it into 220 (or 240). With that said, Holman Motors told me when I picked it up and did my walk through to NEVER plug it into 220. Obviously I haven't, but I am confused because that label says otherwise. Would you Jedi Masters please help educate me or clarify this? Thank you.

View attachment 28994

The plug at the pedestal in the campground is 240v but your trailer is wired to use 120v. It can do this because a 240v receptacle has 2 power sources, Line 1 and Line 2 and a common wire. If you hook a volt meter across L-1 and L-2 you will get 240v. If you hook a volt meter across L-1 or L-2 and the common wire you will get 120v. Some things in your trailer will feed off of L-1 and some off of L-2. You can buy adapters at Walmart to plug into a 30A service or a 120v receptacle. You just won't be able to run everything at once. Hope that helps.

danemayer

The label on the power hook up (picture below), translates in my electrically stupid mind, that this can handle both 120 and 240 power input.
The 50 amp 4 pin connector that you normally plug into at an RV park is actually a 220V connection. There are 2 hot wires, each carrying 110V, a neutral, and a ground. When the 2 hot wires get to the circuit breaker box, they power separate busses in the breaker box. Some breakers get power from one 110V buss. Others get power from the other 110V buss. So the 220V coming in is split into two separate 110V lines, each capable of delivering 50 Amps.

The place you have to be careful is when you plug into a 30 amp connector. They have 3 wires: 110V hot, neutral, ground and supply 30 amps. Homes have 30 amp connectors for dryers, but they may be wired with 220V and will cause severe damage to the RV because each buss in the circuit breaker box will be supplied with 220V which will fry most of your appliances. It's not uncommon for installers to mistakenly wire a 30 amp RV outlet for 220V. Any new outlet should be checked with a voltmeter to make sure it's right. Never trust anyone's work on a new outlet.

You can read about this in more detail at MyRV.us