Progressive HW surge guard.

CoveredWagon

Hello
we are planning on purchasing a Bighorn 3010re in the near future. I'll be installing a Progressive hard wired surge guard and am wondering where the power cord terminates in the RV. I'm guessing behind the circuit breaker panel, but guessing is just that. I've seen a couple of pictures here and read a few posts on this subject, however I'm srill not sure if I have the answer. If anyone has installed one in a 3010 or a 3160 I'd like to hear from you.

thanks, Dave

danemayer

Hi Covered Wagon,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here, so I expect you'll hear soon all about installing a Progressive EMS.

Gary521

Most of the models are the same as far as the wiring system. The shore power wire does terminate at the breaker box. However, it runs across the trailer behind the access panels. Most folks cut this line and attach the EMS here. I did.

CoveredWagon

Thanks guys. Sounds like I have a good idea of where to look now. I plan on installing one before our first adventure. Why wait until some thing is damaged before we add the protection.
oh and Gray love the STATE sign, Spartans here too.
Dave

jnbhobe

I just added a 5ft piece of 6/4 SO and hooked up to that, that way if you ever want to remove the EMS it will be easy.

'Lil Guy'

Most of the models are the same as far as the wiring system. The shore power wire does terminate at the breaker box. However, it runs across the trailer behind the access panels. Most folks cut this line and attach the EMS here. I did.

This is how we did it.

SNOKING

I have worked on electrical stuff most of my life, but installing the HW unit working with the large cables in a tight area wore me out. Chris

AAdams

I added mine behind the pass though wall where the 50A line was run by the factory to the fuse box.
20150519_121010.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Where ever you decide to put it, make sure it's not under any water line connections. Especially that PoC anti-siphon valve for the black tank flush line. Move your converter if it's under them and put it where you can access the fuses and it gets clean air for the cooling fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

I had gobs of 12v lines and the 120v line laying directly on the convertor. I reoriented the convertor to allow access for the fuses and to get it away from the lines. I located the EMS fairly close to the convertor. I also used the flexible power line from the EMS and the breaker box - much easier.

avvidclif

My installation. The transfer switch was located behind a small storage compartment beside where the 50A cable connected. By removing the back & sides (abt 8 screws) of the compartment I was able to mount the EMS on top of the transfer switch. Per Progressives instructions the line from the 50A power inlet goes to the EMS and a short piece of 6/4 connects the output of the EMS to the input of the transfer switch. While there I made sure all the connections on the transfer switch were tight. Naturally the pictures are not in order.

Attachments

• IMG_0467 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0467 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0480 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0480 (Medium).JPG
    200 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0478 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0478 (Medium).JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 88

CoveredWagon

I had gobs of 12v lines and the 120v line laying directly on the convertor. I reoriented the convertor to allow access for the fuses and to get it away from the lines. I located the EMS fairly close to the convertor. I also used the flexible power line from the EMS and the breaker box - much easier.
I was wondering why not use single cables for the install

SNOKING

My installation. The transfer switch was located behind a small storage compartment beside where the 50A cable connected. By removing the back & sides (abt 8 screws) of the compartment I was able to mount the EMS on top of the transfer switch. Per Progressives instructions the line from the 50A power inlet goes to the EMS and a short piece of 6/4 connects the output of the EMS to the input of the transfer switch. While there I made sure all the connections on the transfer switch were tight. Naturally the pictures are not in order.

I do not understand their electrical placement. If the transfer switch drops neutral you burn up your electrical appliances. I would want it just before the trailers electrical panel. We have talked about placement in other threads. Chris

LBR

I do not understand their electrical placement. If the transfer switch drops neutral you burn up your electrical appliances. I would want it just before the trailers electrical panel. We have talked about placement in other threads. Chris
Being the newbie on the RV block here, I would agree unless it has something to do with a genset/transfer. Isn't this like having a 3 receptacle 120V circuit with the GFI protector on the second outlet protecting itself and the downstream one, but leaving the first outlet unprotected?

SNOKING

Being the newbie on the RV block here, I would agree unless it has something to do with a genset/transfer. Isn't this like having a 3 receptacle 120V circuit with the GFI protector on the second outlet protecting itself and the downstream one, but leaving the first outlet unprotected?

Similar except kind of reversed. With 50 service the loss of neutral is a REALLY BIG deal. So why would you place the surge protector in front of a device that could drop neutral. I only reason I see is that they feel their over, under and/or cycle checking circuits will get trip by generator power.

Then we read post after post of problems with transfer switches! And I believe most 50Amp transfer switches switch all three L1, N and L2. Chris