Propane fitting outside?

jbeletti

How did you do that? I looked at my "Q" and couldn't see any easy way to get the reg off.

I was not pleased either with my new Q, tech support said the Q series needs to have the propane turned on and let sit for a minute before lighting. I tried that and it seems a bit better.

Duane,

I have an older (4 years) Weber Baby Q. The control was threaded and the regulator came right off (threaded both ends). I was unable to reuse the original regulator when I went with this different method - as there was a flare fitting stuck in one end of the regulator. So I bought a new regualtor at Mills Farm Fleet.

Jim

jbeletti

Where do you get the correct male quick connect fitting? I've been to several hardware stores and can't find one. They have the entire connection which includes the female part which is already on the trailer.

Richard,

Look online at the Mr. Heater line of LP hoses and adapters. Or go to a decent sized Ace Hardware or some such.

As for small little fittings/adapters, I needed a couple in order to connect up my new regulator to the old Baby Q and to the fitting needed to connect to the hose. I spent the better part of the day running between stores. At the end of the day, I found the small fittings/adapters at a local hardware store. They had those wall mounted parts bins with brass water fittings and brass gas fittings.

Jim

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
So I bought a new regualtor at Mills Farm Fleet.

Jim

Guys,

Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply, Farm and Ranch or any of those farm supply places usually have everything you need under one roof. Those are the places that I hit when I need anything other than supplies for brain surgery. I even bought a truck from one once.

Sorry but I just saw this post. Run into the same problem...........could not find the right connection at any of the normal location. Finally I got mine directly from Heartland. Just call them. Its $19 plus another $8 shipping.

Has anyone actually bypass the Sundance regulator? The presssure regular for the 5th whell is too low for my gas grill. What fitting were used for the bypass? Thanks.

jimtoo

I don't think it would be wise to try and bypass the tank regulator. You need to remove or bypass the regulator in your gas grille to make it work. If your using a grille that uses the 1 or 2 pound bottles, it has a built in regulator.

Thanks Jimtoo... From all of the other posts it sounded like the built in regular that came with the camper is regulates the gas too low for my grill. I guess I assumed that the gas grill regulator was a higher setting and would not make any difference whether it was on or not.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
We have had the same quick connect in all three of our trailers, it is a low pressure system, since it is regulated at the tanks to run low pressure applicances in the rig. We got with each of our previous units a RVQ Low Pressure BBQ, there are other low pressure RV BBQ, since RVQ was out of business about 4 years. We still have ours, but three years ago decided to stop using it, 1. It was mounted to the wall of the rig and the heat probably not good for the walls and was too close and in our Nash door or window and set off the smoke detector and 2. It did not have enough BTU to BBQ, and 3. Wind effected it. (FYI: Heartland indicates that there is no structure to mount a bracket for the BBQ, not recommend anyways as indicated above)

RVQ.jpg

Since switch to a Webber 200 BBQ four years ago, I will continue to use it. I have been thinking about making up a quick connect hose for the Weber and trying it on the Low Pressure Quick release. Off course I have been thinking about this for four years and do not want to rush into it:) But from what other have said in other post on different forum, the low pressure connection is not adequate to heat the BBQ to it's maximum heat. So we just carry a small propane tank.

JASMAR (Tom)

Stinger381

I bought the weber 220 grill and simply love it. I used the small 1lb bottle initially and it worked great but I wasn't really looking forward to constantly buying those small green bottles. I got the Mr. Heater quick disconnect and a hose, then I took the regulator off and I fixed it for the grill so I could use the DS hookup. Well let me tell you the Mr. Heater fitting does not fit the female end of the quick disconnect on the trailer. I don't know if they make more than one model but the one I got doesn't fit. I put the regulator back on and I'm thinking I may hit Harbor Freight and buy the piece to refill the green 1lb bottles and go that route.

pegmikef

That fitting is 1/4 inch so you have to look closely at the size when you buy parts. Most sell 3/8 inch because a lot of folks put them on the high pressure side (before the regulator). Mine works fine and I've read that a lot of folks have successfully converted their webers to work on the low pressure line. My Olympian 5500 came with the hose and connectors because it is made for the low pressure side.

szewczyk_john

I thought it would be nice to use the quick disconnect and quit dragging along the extra tank for the propane grill. The old TT did not have the quick disconnect. I shut off the propane and removed the disconnect valve to take to the store with me. So far we have been in a dozen hardware stores, welding shops, propane refill station and no luck finding a male coupler that fits. Looks like I'll still be dragging the extra 20 lbs propane tank around.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
I thought it would be nice to use the quick disconnect and quit dragging along the extra tank for the propane grill. The old TT did not have the quick disconnect. I shut off the propane and removed the disconnect valve to take to the store with me. So far we have been in a dozen hardware stores, welding shops, propane refill station and no luck finding a male coupler that fits. Looks like I'll still be dragging the extra 20 lbs propane tank around.

John, in an earlier reply, I indicated, unless you have a Low Pressure BBQ, since the valve comes off the pressure regulated side of the rig, it is a low pressure system and will probably not allow for the BBQ to have max heat. Plus I like the BBQ away from the rig. I have a 5lb and a10 lb tank that I bring along now and just leave the 20lb at home.

But if you want a male connector, check this Website: http://www.propaneproducts.com/catalog/quick-connectors-39-1.html or Camping World: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-natural-gas-connector-kit-w-shutoff-valve/30334

JASMAR (Tom)

How do you tell if it's a low pressure bbq? I looked at mine and the hose is marked 5/16" 1 psi wp, the regulator is part of the screw on connection to the propane bottle. The bbq doesn't say much other than its 20,000 btu rated.

I would assume from the 1 psi wp on the hose that it is a low pressure bbq.

pegmikef

Basically, all the grills are low pressure, but most are sold with their own regulator. Some have them built in (like the ones that use the little bottles) and others it is usually just attached to the hose you screw in to a tank. I know a lot of folks have modified their grills so they can use the low pressure outlet. There are a few low pressure grills on the market that don't have their own regulator and are set up for the quick connect outlet. One is the Olympian 5500 sold by Camping World and other places.

Yours has a regulator and that is what has to be bypassed. I know they have kits to convert the more popular grills (e.g., Weber)

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
We got a Nepolien Barb B que from costco has the reg built in. We use a quick conect at the tank with a hose I had made at a hydrolic shop. the hose is 15ft long. I just concect to the chassis tank on the door side, run the hose down and out. If you like I can post a picture.

Martind

Hi, I have a 2011 Sundance 3200RE with the the external LP quick connect. On it it says to use #829000 plug. Does any one know the MrHeater equivalent? Or where to get the correct male part?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hi, I have a 2011 Sundance 3200RE with the the external LP quick connect. On it it says to use #829000 plug. Does any one know the MrHeater equivalent? Or where to get the correct male part?

Search for "propane quick connect" on eBay and you can find it.

Martind

Rex, I see that you have the same RV as I do, just different year. If you have your quick connect working, could you please look on the side of the female connector and tell me the numbers and then what numbers are on the male side. Thanks... Dan