Proper fix for nail in tire

1231ChaseB

Learned a new one today ! Recently had a nail in one of my tire's and took it in and had it patched on the inside which i thought was the proper way to fix one ! Found out the other day that the RIGHT way to fix one is to have it plugged AND have it patched on inside ! They claim that water can get into the hole the nail made and possibly get to the steel belt's and then rust will occur to the belt ! Any body else ever heard of this ?
chaseb

caissiel

For the last 40 years I have always used the plug method for a nail and if any worst replaced the tire, a patch to me can fail as much as the plug so no patched tires on my vehicles for me. Had a bad experience driving a friends vehicle with a patched tire and stay away from them.
Warned tires to the cords and never had any failure of the plugs.
I feel its a must to seal the hole as stated if steel belts are in the tire.

GOTTOYS

Learned a new one today ! Recently had a nail in one of my tire's and took it in and had it patched on the inside which i thought was the proper way to fix one ! Found out the other day that the RIGHT way to fix one is to have it plugged AND have it patched on inside ! They claim that water can get into the hole the nail made and possibly get to the steel belt's and then rust will occur to the belt ! Any body else ever heard of this ?
chaseb
That's how they fixed one of mine at Discount Tire. No problems with it at all...Don

Urban350

You can actualy get a plug/patch that goes in from the inside of the tire and that is the best of both worlds.

hoefler

All ways used plugs, never had an issue. Patches will allow water to get to the steel belts and they can rust causing a separation in the in the ply's in the tread.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Any puncture I've ever had on my vehicles was just plugged from the outside. Never had an issue with it.

pegmikef

I actually have never come across a place that patched holes. They have always used plugs and I have never had a problem with plugged tires.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If I was putting a load on my TV the weight of some of these big fivers, I would move the plugged tire to spare as soon as practical. JMO.
Then again, some say I'm into overkill when it come to safety. (Tires, brakes, etc) Trace

Last edited:

Birchwood

I have had a new tire patched because the hole was to large for a plug.I wore the tire
out and never had a problem.

1231ChaseB

Thanks TANDT ! That's exactly what i was doing, putting the new spare on the camper and the tire with a hole in it is now the spare ! Just don't know exactly how tight to get the cable when i raise the spare back up !
chaseb

TeJay

Lets face it. Any time a tire is punctured the cords are damaged. They are either broken or separated when the tire was punctured. The process of plugging the tire may damage the tire further depending on the location and size of the hole. The round file used to prepare the hole for the plug may be bigger then the original nail hole but the hole has to be made large enough to accept the plug. I've plugged radials for 30 years and never had a problem with the plug or any further leaking. That does not mean that it is the best way of fixing the hole. It is a good way and it works well under most circumstances. But the tire has been weakened some and as has been stated it is probably best to be used as a spare. It sure beats throwing it away.

TeJay

jayc

Legendary Member
I picked up a nail in one of the Bighorn tires (Michelin) and had it patched. No plug avaivable at the time, and pulled it for over 5000 miles during the summer with no problems.

wdk450

Here's a related question for someone who knows tires a lot better than I do.
About 2 years ago I picked up a drywall screw in the bottom tread just as I pulled into an RV park near Gilroy, Ca. I had the local tire service advertised in the park's guide come out and take care of it. I don't know/remember if they plugged or patched it, but this summer I had the same tire experience a large sidewall bubble which blew out after about 45 minutes sitting in a parking lot waiting for the road service. My question is: Are these 2 events related? I have had no problems with any of the other 3 tires on the ground.

Jimmy

QUOTE=wdk450;205468]Here's a related question for someone who knows tires a lot better than I do.
About 2 years ago I picked up a drywall screw in the bottom tread just as I pulled into an RV park near Gilroy, Ca. I had the local tire service advertised in the park's guide come out and take care of it. I don't know/remember if they plugged or patched it, but this summer I had the same tire experience a large sidewall bubble which blew out after about 45 minutes sitting in a parking lot waiting for the road service. My question is: Are these 2 events related? I have had no problems with any of the other 3 tires on the ground.[/QUOTE]

They are not related, also if the repairman took the tire off the RV, he probably patched it, and if he did not remove the tire from the RV, he plugged it.

Urban350

In my opinion they are not related. And if my $.02 counts I prefer a patch over a plug, plus retread companies will charge more to retread a tire that is plugged.

lhetsler

I have plugged tires for years and never had an issue. If it is a clean round hole. If a screw is in for a while before you go flat and causes a slice type of hole, you may have a problem, but most often a nail or screw makes a clean enough hole for a plug. The big advantage being that you don't have to remove the tire, which is nearly impossible on the road.

TeJay

The idea of plugging a tire I'm sure was well researched before they began using the technique. The best part is you don't have to remove the tire, which will open you up to some other issues. Did they replace the tire correctly. That is did they put the mark on the tire where the stem is supposed to be? Did they re-balance the tire or move the weights? Did they lube the tire when they used the tire machine. Not lubing the tire bead can damage it. If they just plug the tire none of those things can happen, and I'm not sure that patching would do a better job anyway. Internal patches does not guarantee that the patch will stay. Once the tire is again on the road it will heat up and flex which could allow the patch to come off. Also the guys that do this kind of work are not always the most cautious or informed individuals, and sometimes there is a lot of turnover in the field. This may open you up to problems. Back to the previous question. Can a previous puncture cause a bubble in the sidewall later down the road??? Good question. Probably not. If it were to happen it should have happened sooner rather than later. When a tire is punctured you open up the possibility of allowing air to penetrate between the cord layers. That's how is bubble is formed. A 6 ply tire has 6 separate layers laid on separately before the vulcanization process. When the tire is heated they bond together but the nail hole could effect that bonding and allow air to enter. If the damage is sufficient the road heat will cause the layers to separate and a bubble is formed. Something else to consider. If you have a tire plugged and you know that you are pushing the envelope of your tires with weight, sidewall cracks or mileage then be smart and safe and make that plugged tire your spare.

TeJay

Willym

The Good Year website states that the tyre should be taken off and repair made with patch and plug. I've had a few nail type puncture in tyres over the past few years and they've all been repaired this way.