protect low point drains for winter weekend camping

I will be camping over a couple of weekends this winter. I've heard some others on this forum having some trouble with their low point drains freezing up their system. Any tricks or tips that have protected others? Skirting the camper is not an option. Thanks for the help.

Also, if it matters for this question, I have a Cyclone 4200.

jbeletti

Consider buying 2 of those external insulated enclosures for outdoor hose bibs.

Another option is to shorten the lines up into the underbelly.

Lynn1130

If I have shore power I give the low point drains a wrap or two with heat tape and wrap with foam or fiber insulation and use duct tape to hold it on. If I am dry camping I wrap with fiber insulation as thick as I can get it and use duct tape to hold it on. This has kept me from freezing up down to 10 F above and if it does freeze apply some heat with a Big Buddy heater or something along that line to get the water moving again.

Nbomar

Did the foam lowes covers help? I'm camping New Years weekend and it's projected in the high twenties at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We tried using standard pipe wrap foam, and had freezing at the low point drains our first attempt at winter camping. I would think if they could be wrapped with insulation/foil, it might work better.

We eliminated the low point drains in hot and cold lines, and shortened the fresh tank drain so the valve is in the underbelly and added a flexible end hose that we leave pushed up into the belly. (We have a taped flap to cut open and pull it down to use that drain.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk