Pull out bumper rack

BRC

Hi all,

Considering a NT 32BUDS that has the pull out bumper rack. This looks like a GREAT feature and I had a question about it. I noticed that there is a sticker on the rack that indicates a 200lb load rating (including the spare tire attached to it). I also noticed that it is lined with a molded plastic liner and reinforced with metal some crossbars underneath. I was wondering if anyone carries a generator back there or if you would discourage someone from hauling sometthing that heavy back there. The generator I'd be hauling is a Honda EU3000is with a dry weight of ~135 lbs.

What kind of a load do you carry on the pull out bumper rack?

Brian

brianharrison

The pull out bumper rack with plastic liner on my last SOB unit was rated for 200 lbs. I am not sure if the NT 32BUDS uses the same model. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Brian

pegmikef

Brian, It is me again. It is rated for two hundred pounds (there should be a sticker on it somewhere). I routinely carry both my generators (Honda 2000 and the companion Honda) and a cargo box (for outside stuff like charcoal, lights . . probably 60 pounds). See picture. The generators are about 53 pounds each so I center the cargo box and put a generator on each end. I secure the generators with industrial grade cables and locks to keep honest people honest. This rack is one of the main reasons I bought the NT!

oops, just noticed you saw the sticker. My spare tire is under the tongue in the front, so I can use the whole rack. The spare is actually installed on the rack on that model?

Attachments

• cargorack.jpg
    cargorack.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
2 honda 2000s plus a few other things / under 200#s.P1010217.JPGP1010215.JPG

Attachments

• P1010219.JPG
    P1010219.JPG
    646.8 KB · Views: 114

BRC

Good info, thanks!

My spare tire is under the tongue in the front, so I can use the whole rack. The spare is actually installed on the rack on that model?

That is correct, not sure if they moved it back there for all 2013s, just the ones with the pull outs, or what ...but it is back there. I would actually prefer it under the tongue so I can take full advantage of the 200lb limit of the rack and would consider relocating it right away if/when we pull the trigger.

I'm envious of the 2 EU2000 setups and, hindsight, wish we had gone that way ...we ended up with the EU3000 instead. Still a GREAT Honda generator but it is a bit cumbersome to lug around as opposed to a pair of EU2000s.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
BRC, I dont know what TV you have, but I carry my genset in the rear of the my TV. I made an extension cord so I dont have to remove the genset from the TV. BTW, welcome to the forum and hopefully as a new HL owner. I live in Murrieta also. As a side note, if you are dealing with Giant Rv's, make sure you deduct at least 25-30% off what their sticker price is. Do a very detailed PDI before you take delivery. Check for any water leaks,etc,etc.

BRC

Bob& Patty, thanks for the info! I hope to seal the deal soon and we'll have to get into to SoCal Chapter!

I'll have enough room in the bed of my Ram to put the genset in there but hadn't given much thought to just leaving it in there... sounds like that may be the ticket and just use a long 30A extension.

Appreciate the heads up on Giant, that is who I'm working with. This will be the 3rd RV I have bought with them (1 at Montclair, 1 at Corona, and now Murrieta), I've known the salesman for many years and the price is right. You are absolutely right on the sticker though, waaaaaay over what other dealers list at.

I did a mini-pdi the other night when I took it for a test drive with my TV and they are working that list already, lol. I made sure to take a bumpy road along the way to see what shook loose. I've learned after my first two that it is much easier to catch things up front and have them addressed on a do-bill up front than it is to work warranty, regardless of how good the service department is to work with. I test each outlet, all faucets and drains, the RVQ propane port, reheat my coffee in the microwave, convert all bunks/tables/beds and make sure all of the pieces are there, and even take a DVD to test out the A/V system.

Thanks again,
Brian

priorguy

Wow, I wish I had thought of doing my own pre-buy PDI. I haven't had any issues, but you're right about it being easier to do it before you hand over the money. Two trailers ago was a large used Coleman pop-up and there were three techs fixing things that broke or didn't work during the a PDI. My guess is the PDI I paid for never got done. Glad I got everything fixed before they saw my taillights leave the lot.