Pulling a heavy fiver

Jonah

Curious how many have aux fuel tanks? Are they worth it? does the aux tank affect how the truck handles? I can think of a couple highways where extra fuel is almost a requirement.

MTPockets

Curious how many have aux fuel tanks? Are they worth it? does the aux tank affect how the truck handles? I can think of a couple highways where extra fuel is almost a requirement.
We have the 50 gal Transferflo tank. That extra range is fantastic. I went this way to keep the fill nozzle below the bed rail so I could close my BakFlip cover. Full of fuel adds about 450 lbs. which still keeps me below the truck payload rating. If you look at catalog payload ratings take care.. My DRW catalog rating showed over 6200 lbs payload, but the truck actual came in with the sticker showing 5450. Still more than enough, but Ford does not include the truck options in the catalog ratings. This gets some in a bind when they look at catalog rating on a SRW truck. The catalog may show well over 4000 lbs, but the truck you buy will most likely be closer to 3500 lbs max. Add your hitch and other cargo + people and you're gonna be below what you need on a SRW.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I have a 40 gal DeeZee tank. It only takes up about a foot of space in the bed behind the cab in my 8' box. I have the gravity flow valve and as Terry said the extra range is great.

GOTTOYS

Yes I have one. Yes it is well worth it. No it doesn't affect how my truck handles. Mine is a 62 gal RDS wedge with a gravity flow hook-up. Works flawlessly. By the way, this truck is a Chev dually. It replaces a 2010 Dodge. The Dodge had a nicer more comfortable interior and easier to use features on the dash. I like everything else about this Chevrolet much better...Don

Almost forgot. Most important part..My Chevrolet is made in America, by American workers, not Mexico.

wehavefun

I have a RDS toolbox/ fuel tank combo, gravity feed works awesome. I love the ability to choose when I fuel. I don't notice any ill effects with the trucks handling.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BillGott

Started out with a 2500 4x4 2004 Dodge. Lasted 600 miles before transmission input shaft broke. Triple lock torque converter way to tight for this setup. Now have a 2016 3500 Dodge DRW with Aisin Trans. Love this combo. I have a swivelwheel behind with a Goldwing and generator so I am around 19,500 total. Truck handles great. Exhaust brake works good also. I have an 80 gallon RDS transfer tank in bed that gravity feeds. It has the same footprint as the 62 gallon RDS wedge tank but holds 18 more gallons.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We added a 115 gal Dually Depot aux tank in 2013 to our previous truck, a 2004 GMC 3500 Dually. Love it! Well worth it!! Can go nearly 1000 miles without stopping for fuel. (Can get about 100 gal in it, before pump kicks off and won't let you add.) It was great most of the time. But we realized quickly one summer towing in the Colorado mountain grades, a full fuel tank makes for a struggling (older) truck. It just added a bit too much weight.

We've since switched the same fuel tank to a new-to-us 3013 GMC 3500 dually, and this truck's towing capacity is far greater. Like the 14k trailer isn't even there.

You have to take the tank weight, plus the fuel weight, into your payload calculations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonah

I really appreciate all the great responses and advice, more than I can say!! You're all terrific and I hope to meet as many of you as I can - down the road.

Small change of topic, can you recommend a good dealer in the southeast region that carries Bighorn / Landmark? I would really prefer to avoid camping world.

Thanks

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

37 gal RDS gravity fed. - do it. You won't regret it.

I really appreciate all the great responses and advice, more than I can say!! You're all terrific and I hope to meet as many of you as I can - down the road.

Small change of topic, can you recommend a good dealer in the southeast region that carries Bighorn / Landmark? I would really prefer to avoid camping world.

Thanks

Purchased our "Ridge" at McGeorge RV also. Very happy!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Wouldn't be without one. They increase your travel range, allow you to purchase least cost fuel, give peace of mind, etc.
No noticeable effect of handling if your TV is sized to handle your total payload.
Size is a personal choice but I think it's one of the most intelligent after market purchases you could make.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We added a 115 gal Dually Depot aux tank in 2013 to our previous truck, a 2004 GMC 3500 Dually. Love it! Well worth it!! Can go nearly 1000 miles without stopping for fuel. (Can get about 100 gal in it, before pump kicks off and won't let you add.) It was great most of the time. But we realized quickly one summer towing in the Colorado mountain grades, a full fuel tank makes for a struggling (older) truck. It just added a bit too much weight.

We've since switched the same fuel tank to a new-to-us 3013 GMC 3500 dually, and this truck's towing capacity is far greater. Like the 14k trailer isn't even there.

You have to take the tank weight, plus the fuel weight, into your payload calculations.

Would have thought the 3013's would at least come with ion drive and not need a larger fuel tank. :)

Bones

Would have thought the 3013's would at least come with ion drive and not need a larger fuel tank. :)

The Ion tank has and infinity drive thus in turn unlimited power to pull those heavy 5'ers

ksucats

Don't know about Ion drive but I'm curious when we will get diesel electric (like the train locomotives). That technology has been tested in trucks and, for whatever reason, has not gained a foothold in the market. Rumor had it excellent fuel economy and the electric motors had great torque, etc.

As for the aux tank - I don't have one - have been looking at Transfer Flow since they have an L shaped one that will work around my rolling cover. $$$$ is what has kept me from it so far but every time I tow I think about it.

Birchwood

Pull our Landmark Pinehurst with a stock 07 GMC diesel dually ex cab for last 7 years.Canada to Florida to Texas for 7 years no problems no blowouts nothing!

Bones

Don't know about Ion drive but I'm curious when we will get diesel electric (like the train locomotives). That technology has been tested in trucks and, for whatever reason, has not gained a foothold in the market. Rumor had it excellent fuel economy and the electric motors had great torque, etc.

As for the aux tank - I don't have one - have been looking at Transfer Flow since they have an L shaped one that will work around my rolling cover. $$$$ is what has kept me from it so far but every time I tow I think about it.
I don't want an extra tank in the bed but I would love to have a larger fuel tank like 50 gallons to replace my stock one. They don't have any yet and they are sooo expensive.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I don't want an extra tank in the bed but I would love to have a larger fuel tank like 50 gallons to replace my stock one. They don't have any yet and they are sooo expensive.

"So expensive"...RDS in the box (more gallons) for a few hundred bucks vs $1.5-2K for a custom tank between the frame rails...My wallet says No Brainer!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk