PullRite Superglide/39 mbhs/gmc Denali

scotteam1

Ok people I hope someone can help me out. I hooked up to Fiver for the first time and towed a little ways. In the process without hearing a thing the hitch destroyed my tailgate. Please note I did lower and after hook up lift the tailgate. Not the common forget the lower tailgate issue. Anyway I didn't go fat. The pin box was hitting right on top of the tailgate. That is why the damage occurred. MY question is has anyone had this happen. Why did it happen? is the trailer/truck/hitch combo a correct fit? How can I adjust it so this does nto happen again? 1700$ for nee tailgate on a 2016

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of questions here.
Did the hitch jaws lock into place before travel?
Was the hitch/pin box height set up correctly when installed?
What brand hitch?
Do you have a slider?
Hitch mounted correctly in the bed of your truck?
What type pin box on the trailer?

Inquiring minds will want to know.

Peace
Dave

scotteam1

The hitch pin is the one that came on trailer. sorry if that sounds ignorant. I am not at all familiar with fifth wheels hitches or fifth wheel. This is my first. Someone asked if it was a slider. Once again it is a super glide and that is a slider. Once again it is a GMC Denali 2500HD Diesel 2016. The trailer is a 39mbhs. The issue i am seeing is the length of the pin box appears to be to long to turn sideway to accommodate the slider at all. Pin box barely clears tailgate on level ground. When it slides i am goin to take out my bed sides. yes it locked in like a dream

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Does your trailer sit level when hitched?
You may be able to raise the hitch. It is adjustable.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

The issue i am seeing is the length of the pin box appears to be to long to turn sideway to accommodate the slider at all. Pin box barely clears tailgate on level ground. When it slides i am goin to take out my bed sides. yes it locked in like a dream

I'm having trouble following parts of what you're describing. "Pin box too long to turn sideways to accommodate the slider" isn't making sense to me. A picture would help a lot.

But one key statement is that the pin box barely clears the tailgate on level ground. You need about 5" of clearance between pinbox and bed rails/tailgate.

Maybe your hitch is too low and needs to be adjusted.

Some people have trucks that are configured so high that the trailer is not level. Maybe someone adjusted your hitch to correct that and didn't leave clearance above the bed.

Again, a few pictures would really help.

scotteam1

I'm having trouble following parts of what you're describing. "Pin box too long to turn sideways to accommodate the slider" isn't making sense to me. A picture would help a lot.

But one key statement is that the pin box barely clears the tailgate on level ground. You need about 5" of clearance between pinbox and bed rails/tailgate.

Maybe your hitch is too low and needs to be adjusted.

Some people have trucks that are configured so high that the trailer is not level. Maybe someone adjusted your hitch to correct that and didn't leave clearance above the bed.

Again, a few pictures would really help.

Pin box extends from the trailer to the hitch and king pin. That box on the back where it attaches to trailer is literally riding on the tailgate. When you drive and the hitch rotates and moves back on turns. That pin box gos back beyond the tailgate and there is plenty of clearance. However when It comes back forward its on top of the tailgate again. Now add cantilever to it and the hitch tears up the tailgate. The clearance you speak of is never going to be 5 inches from that pin box. Its impossible based on design of hitch and trailer. Its a lippert pin box.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Almost sounds like maybe the slider hitch is mounted too far back . . . or at the least not adjusted correctly.

As has been mentioned . . . some photos will go a long way!

donr827

Pullrite makes a riser (not sure correct name) that fits between the hitch and the bed of the truck. It raises the height of the hitch 1 1/2 inches. I put one on my Pullrite.
Don

SNOKING

Almost sounds like maybe the slider hitch is mounted too far back . . . or at the least not adjusted correctly.

As has been mentioned . . . some photos will go a long way!

When I was installing my B&W manual slider their tech support warned about hitting the tail gate. With extended pin boxes it has always been and issue of the pin box mounts hitting the sides of the bed. I do not run a tailgate so that is not an issue for me.

Last edited:

JohnD

I haven't had to use my slider function yet, but when the dealership showed me how it works and had me work it they advised to open the tailgate when operating in slider mode.

TruckRubberMat-P1010995.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg

JohnD

I've never had a slider hitch, but I would think if you make a turn with the tailgate down, the tailgate will slice open the front of the trailer.

With the slider engaged, the hitch slides back 11 inches, which gives enough clearance with the tailgate down to turn.

Next time I hitch up I may play around with the slider function . . . and of course take photos!

brianlajoie

I have a pullrite superglide 16k on my F350 crew cab. I would never lower my tailgate to turn. Not necessary. My hitch is mounted over the axle where is needs to be.

This question hasn't been asked, but is your truck raised up above stock? Probably isn't, but wanted to eliminate that.

Like others have said, it is important to pull the trailer as level as possible. An unlevel trailer puts more stress on the trailer suspension.

I have had the manufacturer rep from superglide visit me when I couldn't find a dealer who knew what they were talking about. Consider contacting them and say you have a height issue between the hitch and the trailer. Without knowing more, it is difficult to say if the issue lies with the king pin or the hitch. Hopefully that won't take long. I love my slider hitch and would not trade it of anything else.

BHEWITTJR

Pullrite uses a capture plate if you have a superglide, do you have this on your hitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

I haven't had to use my slider function yet, but when the dealership showed me how it works and had me work it they advised to open the tailgate when operating in slider mode.

I guess one thing to consider about my dealership . . .

They are also the ones who installed my hitch and left it (trailer) riding 4 1/2 inches high in the front end and said it was OK . . .

As I recall, however, when I drove it around in slider mode on the lot the day we picked it up, we put the tailgate down for when I engaged the slider and pulled the truck forward to 'slide' the hitch, but closed the tailgate to drive it around.

scotteam1

When I was installing my B&W manual slider their tech support warned about hitting the tail gate. With extended pin boxes it has always been and issue of the pin box mounts hitting the sides of the bed. I do not run a tailgate so that is not an issue for me.

The company who installed hitch wants me to bring trailer and truck in so this tells me with tailgate off should not hit sides transporting