Purchasing Bighorn 3185RL - Questions

patsak

We are almost ready to order our new FW. Love the layout of this new trailer. We are not new to camping but are trading in our TT on this purchase. Those of you that are experienced, should I order it with the Generator Prep. We now have a small Honda that we hook up on the rare times that we need it. Is it worth it to prep the trailer? Secondly, should we add the Trailair hitch and what is it? Is this something that makes the FW hitch up better??? Also, what about the Central Vacuum? Is that a good add on? Thanks for your help.

jimtoo

Hi patsak,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help.

If you do not have an on board generator, installed and wired in to the trailer, I see no reason to have the factory generator prep.

For the Trailair hitch, that is a big yes. The Trailair hitch will take almost all the chucking and harsh banging out of the trailer and hitch when you hit the big holes and cracks in our highways. Well worth the money.

The built in vacuum, I cannot say. Some like it and some dislike.

I'm sure others will jump in and give their opinions also.

If you need help, we are here for you. Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

CrazyScotsman

I use the 5thAirborn hitch, same principle as Trailair hitch, and i 100% agree with Jim on that.
The built in vac is great in our book, especially that you can sweep the vinyl floor and just use your foot to pop open the vac, and Bobs you uncle, your sweepings are sucked away.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
WOW, now I have relatives that I didn't know about. Thanks Ken.:cool: As to the central vac. Its a good thing, but you have to find a place to store all the hoses and stuff. Yes to any kind of hitch and suspension to smooth out the ride. Bob (your uncle):D

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have the vac and I love it I do suggest to buy a roller brush it picks up better. we got ours at a vacuum store.Kathy:)

CrazyScotsman

.:cool: As to the central vac. Its a good thing, but you have to find a place to store all the hoses and stuff. ]

Walk in closet in bedroom, or under bed,
or garage, that way DW can't have me using the vacuum :D:D

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ken, you must be kidding. OUR WALKIN CLOSET??? DW has enough stuff in there now. Pin weight must be about 5K now. :eek: Bob (your uncle):D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One thing good about the central vac no one has mentioned is you can use it to sweep out the tow vehicle and the basement. As far as the Trail Air hitch is concerned, we hated it. It was hard to unhitch and we got alot of chucking. We got rid of it and got a Mor-Ryde hitch and love the Mor-Ryde. To each his own. As far as the generator prep... if you use a generator much it might be a good thing. If you hardly ever use a generator then it may be a waste of money. One thing to consider, the generator prep takes up space in the basement that can be used for storage. MHO

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would, and do have the central vac. We use the electric beater head from our house central vac for deep cleaning once in a while. Trailair, would not be without it. I have no problems unhitching. I extend the front landing gear and put some weight on it, then pull the unhitch lever before I raise the front of the coach. Of course the wheel chocks are in place before doing this. I am thinking about the Trailair Triglide retrofit, but chucking is really not a problem for us.
Let us know when you get your new rig.

Peace
Dave

Delaine and Lindy

Just My Opinion.......

Our experience with the Trailair pin box after we had owned two, I had much rather have the Mor/Ryde pin box. We use a standard pin box(21,000 lb) but we do have a Trailer Saver Air ride 5th wheel hitch. As for the Central Vac, we had three that was enough. I had rather spend the money on a Dyson 17 on the roller ball. As for the rear hitch if its a 2" receiver get it you will get a lot of good use out of it. As for the Generator Prep, we did have a Onan 5500 on board system very nice system, however we do no boondocking or Wally Docking so I would keep the Honda generator you have. The only reason I would have a Generator would be to pull a Air compressor, and with the Truck we have it is a full Air system with quick connect for a air hose. The Generator prep takes up a lot of space in my opinion. Other have different thought. Good Luck on your decisions. GBY.....