Question about Diesel Lingo

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
This may be a stupid question but bare with me. I often here people talk about their truck going into a REGEN. What is it? Is it common? How often does it happen? What is the point? Thanks for the help.

Jamie

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On the newer diesels they have a regeneration cycle that clean the exhaust filter to prevent particulates from entering the atmosphere. Part of the EPA regs. While driving my Ford F350 will display a message "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" while this is going on.

SmokeyBare

My 2009 Chevy Duramax doesn't give me a warning light or any sign on the dash that its doing the Regen. I've read it happens every 400 or 500 miles. It could the computer also reads the level of Carbon in the exhaust and to determine when to start the cycle.

I don't notice any difference with power or mileage when it does work through a Regen Cycle. Some guys comment on other forums about the diesel losing power and slowing down when the Regen happens while towing an RV, they claim it can happen on a Up-Hill climb. I've not found this to be the case.

Marv

Crumgater

We're new to diesels, also. Only had our 2008 F350 for a week now and it went into "cleaning exhaust filter" mode while driving down the freeway at 60mph (not towing). The engine got noticably louder all the way until I turned it off at my destination about 8 miles down the road. Otherwise, it didn't feel like it drove any different.

How long does a 'regen' normally last?

Jellystone

Jamie, I see that you and I have a similar truck. Like the other posts have said, the REGEN basically "cleans out" the particulate filter to prevent harmful emissions into the atmosphere. On your truck, the only way to know that it is happening is to go to the overhead console display (above rearview mirror) and scroll to "SYSTEM". If it says "OK", then nothing is currently in need of regenerating. If it says anything different, it is letting you know that it is in the process of regenerating. As the driver, you will not know that anything out of the ordinary is occuring.--The key to having less regeneration is to not let your truck sit at idle for long periods of time. Have you had the latest J35 flash done to the computer system?

JWalker

--The key to having less regeneration is to not let your truck sit at idle for long periods of time. Have you had the latest J35 flash done to the computer system?

No, It is on my to-do list in the next 2 weeks. I usually let the truck warm up for 5-10 minutes, is that letting it idle to long? I only use the truck once in awhile, maybe every 2 weeks, very little in the winter, is this a problem?

Thanks
Jamie

Jellystone

No, It is on my to-do list in the next 2 weeks. I usually let the truck warm up for 5-10 minutes, is that letting it idle to long? I only use the truck once in awhile, maybe every 2 weeks, very little in the winter, is this a problem?

Thanks
Jamie
Jamie, 5-10 minutes is not to long, I do the same myself. Some folks sit at idle on various occasions for 30-40 minutes while they do something else and wonder why they have problems with their particulate filter stopping up.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My 2009 Chevy Duramax doesn't give me a warning light or any sign on the dash that its doing the Regen. I've read it happens every 400 or 500 miles. It could the computer also reads the level of Carbon in the exhaust and to determine when to start the cycle.

I don't notice any difference with power or mileage when it does work through a Regen Cycle. Some guys comment on other forums about the diesel losing power and slowing down when the Regen happens while towing an RV, they claim it can happen on a Up-Hill climb. I've not found this to be the case.

Marv

Same here, it just does it's thing and I never notice it.

RoadJunkie

First, I have no idea why the process is called "Regen". To my knowledge the process does not regenerate anything. Anyway, the message I get on my Ford truck says "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". I feel that message is more accurate to the process. My understanding is that the soot, normally seen in earlier model year diesels, is captured in a device within the exhaust system called a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). When sensors determine there is sufficient back pressure--due to the gathered soot--the truck enters the "regen" or "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" mode in an effort to burn out the impurities. During the process the horsepower seems to be electronically reduced. One frustrating part of this process, is that it seems to be triggered when the truck is laboring the most (exhaust back pressure is greater). So, if you're pulling up a big hill, you may trigger the process, but thereafter you can count on one cycle of the process every tank full. Anyway, the process for burning off the captured soot is not free. I believe that one cylinder is used to inject diesel fuel into the exhaust (during the exhaust cycle) every 5th power cycle. That is, 20% of the time raw fuel is injected into the exhaust when the exhaust valve is open. The process duration is based on several factors, including how much soot is collected (and therefore needs to be burned off), speed during cycle, stop and go, etc. But at highway speeds of >60 MPH, the process has taken from 20 to 37 minutes. Thank goodness the 20ish minute time is the normal. You clearly use more fuel during the process and it seems like it always triggers when you are sweating the next fuel stop! So, I hope this helps and I cannot swear the the accuracy (standard disclaimer).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
This is from the 2010 F350 owners manual. BTW you can access it on the www.Ford.com website.

DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER (Diesel engine only) —
Displayed when the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is full of particles (exhaust soot) and the vehicle is not being operated in a manner to allow normal cleaning. This message will stay on until the exhaust filter cleaning has begun, at which time the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER message will be displayed. It is recommended the vehicle operator drive the vehicle above 30 mph (48 km/h) until the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER message turns off. This message is NORMAL. Refer to your Power Stroke 6.0 and 6.4 Liter Direct Injection Turbo Diesel Owner’s Guide Supplement for more information.
Note: If this message is ignored, your vehicle will continue to fill the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) with particles (exhaust soot). If cleaning is not permitted, the light will illuminate and engine power may be limited. If the vehicle is still not operated in a manner to allow cleaning, the service engine soon light will illuminate and engine power will be further limited. Dealer service will then be required to restore your vehicle to full-power operation.
Note: Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration will not initiate at idle or in Power-Take-Off (PTO) mode. When DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST Instrument Cluster 30 FILTER is displayed in the message center, PTO and/or Stationary Elevated Idle Control (SEIC) must be disengaged/inactive in order to properly clean the DPF. The vehicle must be driven until the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER message turns off.

CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER (Diesel engine only) — Displayed when the vehicle has entered the cleaning mode. Various engine actions will raise the exhaust temperature in the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) system to burn off the particles (exhaust soot). After the particles are burned off, the exhaust temperature will fall back to normal levels. This message is NORMAL. Refer to your Power Stroke 6.0 and 6.4 Liter Direct Injection Turbo Diesel Owner’s Guide Supplement for more information.
WARNING: When the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER message appears in the message center, do not park near flammable materials, vapors or structures until filter cleaning is complete.

EXHAUST FILTER DRIVE COMPLETE (Diesel engine only) —
Displayed when the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) has been adequately cleaned after the DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER followed by CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER messages have been displayed. This message is NORMAL. Refer to your Power Stroke 6.0 and 6.4 Liter Direct Injection Turbo Diesel Owner’s Guide Supplement for more information.

Jellystone

First, I have no idea why the process is called "Regen". To my knowledge the process does not regenerate anything. Anyway, the message I get on my Ford truck says "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". I feel that message is more accurate to the process. My understanding is that the soot, normally seen in earlier model year diesels, is captured in a device within the exhaust system called a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)..

Road Junkie,the reason it is called REGENERATION is because it is necessary to oxidize the solid carbon based particulate matter into gaseous carbon dioxide. In basic terms, it regenerates the solid particles and turns them into a gas. Clear as mud? :)

RoadJunkie

Road Junkie,the reason it is called REGENERATION is because it is necessary to oxidize the solid carbon based particulate matter into gaseous carbon dioxide. In basic terms, it regenerates the solid particles and turns them into a gas. Clear as mud? :)

Got it! Thanks.

olcoon

Here is what Dodge has to say:
Exhaust System – Regeneration Required Now​
“Exhaust System – Regeneration Required Now” will be displayed on the overhead console of your vehicle if the exhaust particulate filter reaches 80% of its maximum storage capacity. Under conditions of exclusive short duration and low speed driving cycles, your Cummins​
diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system may never reach the conditions required to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs, the “Exhaust System – Regeneration Required Now” message will be displayed in the EVIC. If this message is displayed, you will hear onechime to assist in alerting you of this condition. By simply driving your vehicle at highway speeds for as little as 45 minutes, you can remedy the condition in the particulate filter system and allow your Cummins diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system to remove the trapped PM and restore the system to normal operatingcondition.

Exhaust Filter XX% Full​
Indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is approaching full.​
Exhaust System – Regeneration in Process​
Indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is selfcleaning. Maintain your current driving condition untilregeneration is completed.​
Exhaust System – Regeneration Completed​
Indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) selfcleaning is completed. If this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this
condition.​
Service Required – See Dealer Now​
Regeneration has been disabled due to a system malfunction. At this point the engine PCM will register a fault code, the instrument panel will display a MIL light.​
CAUTION!​
See your authorized dealer, as damage to the exhaust system could occur soon with continued operation. Exhaust Filter Full – Power Reduced See Dealer​
The PCM derates the engine in order to limit the likelihood of permanent damage to the after-treatment system. If this condition is not corrected and a dealer serviceis not performed, extensive exhaust after-treatment damage can occur. In order to correct this condition it will be necessary to have your vehicle serviced by your local authorized dealer.​

hoefler

Idling any longer than to build oil pressure is to long unless the outside temperatures are below freezing. The most problems that the Dodges have had are from idling and frequent stop and go traffic like the grocery getters. The best thing to do is start it, build oil pressure and go! It needs to have the exhaust hot enough to burn of the particulates the the filter traps. The Regen process dumps raw fuel into the cylinder on the exhaust stroke. The DPF will reach temperatures in the 1800* range and burn off the soot and converting it to ash. This requires highway speeds to facilitate this. In both of my 6.7 engines, I only see this, I have an Exhaust Temp gage, after driving around town then getting back on the highway to get home. When on the highway or pulling a trailer, I very seldom see it Regen.

Idling is the worst thing you can do to this engine! If you must idle, have the throttle up option enable by the dealer so you can idle it up with the cruise control. This is the only acceptable way to let these idle if yo must, but is discouraged and to be limited as much as possible.

Willym

Good advice from hoefler. Running the engine loaded will result in more passive regens. Also running with EGR disconnected will reduce the rate of soot accumulation in the DPF, and fewer regens.

Idling any longer than to build oil pressure is to long unless the outside temperatures are below freezing. The most problems that the Dodges have had are from idling and frequent stop and go traffic like the grocery getters. The best thing to do is start it, build oil pressure and go! It needs to have the exhaust hot enough to burn of the particulates the the filter traps. The Regen process dumps raw fuel into the cylinder on the exhaust stroke. The DPF will reach temperatures in the 1800* range and burn off the soot and converting it to ash. This requires highway speeds to facilitate this. In both of my 6.7 engines, I only see this, I have an Exhaust Temp gage, after driving around town then getting back on the highway to get home. When on the highway or pulling a trailer, I very seldom see it Regen.

Idling is the worst thing you can do to this engine! If you must idle, have the throttle up option enable by the dealer so you can idle it up with the cruise control. This is the only acceptable way to let these idle if yo must, but is discouraged and to be limited as much as possible.

JWalker

Good advice from hoefler. Running the engine loaded will result in more passive regens. Also running with EGR disconnected will reduce the rate of soot accumulation in the DPF, and fewer regens.

Will running the EGR disconnected void any warranty? Is it difficult to disconnect? What benefts do you gain?

Thanks
Jamie

Willym

Disconnecting the EGR is illegal in some jurisdictions due to emissions limits, and is frowned upon by Chrysler as it obviously interferes with emission controls. Thus it is a personal decision. It is a common modification and is very easy to do, but you do have to live with a steady "Check Engine" lamp on the dash.
Benefits - more efficient combustion, less soot production, cleaner air intake, grid heater and MAP sensor, better mpg. There is plenty of information on this subject on the Cummins Forum, http://www.cumminsforum.com/

Will running the EGR disconnected void any warranty? Is it difficult to disconnect? What benefts do you gain?

Thanks
Jamie

porthole

Retired
Only know about GM with the EGR delete codes. That is a relatively simple inexpensive fix to eliminate the codes. It is called a "finger stick" and is soldered into the main harness.

Unless you knew what to look for you would never know my EGR is blocked.

traveler44

My Ford is so old that it doesn't have one of those fancy automatic exhaust scrubbers. I have to wait until it feels like it is building up in there and then go down a hill real fast to blow the coals out. Tom M.

Buford445

On the Dodge 6.7 you can Delete the EGR and the DPF (IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY) and add a Smarty (Programmer) and you will gain MPG's Power and Reliability.

With the 6.7 if you WORK it it will go into Regen less often as it keeps the DPF clean, it is when you drive it as a Grocery Getter the it clogs up quicker