Question about front and rear walls on new unit.

I bought a 2013 29bdss last week and going over the unit I noticed the front and rear walls are not solid like the side walls. I was just wondering if the front and rear walls are not supposed to be laminated. This is not a used unit. The dealer says he thinks it's not supposed to be. He went and checked other units and they are the same way. But you know how dealers are!!

tboy

When the salesman walked me through my Key Largo, he informed me that all exterior walls were aluminum. During the summer months here in Florida my front closet would get extremely warm and the paneling very warm, so I decided to remove the shoe rack and look behind the wall. To my surprise the walls studs were made out of 2x2s and crappy ones, all the bat insulation had fallen to the bottom and not a staple in any of it, what a time I had trying to crawl and staple it all back up. I was surprised that the amount of money we pay for these units that Quality control would let this happen, after fixing it all and adding foil bubble wrap over the insulation and covering the back of the shoe rack with insulation my closet stays as cool as the bedroom.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jeremy, the front and rear walls are not laminated. The laminating process will only work on a flat wall. That said, I don't understand why the rear wall isn't laminated on your NT. On the 5th wheels with the fiberglass front & rear caps, laminating isn't practical either.
I was surprised to hear tboy had problems with his bat insulation falling. Our BH is essentially the same front & rear construction and we've had no issues with that.
In addition, the side walls of slide outs are not laminated either. They are sheet goods on 2 X 2's or aluminum framing.

I know I can push in on the inside and the outside and it's not stiff like on the sides. I was thinking that most of th campers I've seen with delamination problems were usually on the front or rear so maybe that's why it's not laminated?? It can't delaminate if it's not laminated to begin with??