Question about Options

n25260

Hello,

My wife and I are considering purchasing a Heartland 5th Wheel (Landmark, Bighorn, or Big Country - although we are open to other models as well) to live in full-time. It appears that many of the 5th wheels have carpeting but do any of those models have the option for wood flooring instead of carpet?

Also, my wife will do a lot of computer work from the unit, so I would be interested to hear if anyone has experience making any part of the RV work like a small office-space. Some of the models have a small pull-out desk in front of the TV, or a small cubby next to the TV, but are there any options for maybe trading in a sofa for a desk area?

Thanks!

jimtoo

Hi n25260,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some more opinions soon from our other family members. In the Big Horn line is the 3875FB with a 1/2 bath. This 1/2 bath can be left out (no fixtures installed) and you would have a small office area. The Big Country 3950FB is almost the same. You could then add a small desk, cabinet, shelves like you wanted. I would suggest you go and look at one of these if you want a private area for office use. It is kinda small, but would work. Also your dealer will tell you it can't be done,, but call Heartland brand manager and they can do it for you.

I think (maybe should not) the main floor can be left without carpet, but probably will have carpet on the slideouts.

Let us know how it goes and enjoy the forum.

Jim M

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Some will go the Toyhauler route and use the "garage" as an office. It's separate from the living area and can be set up to suit your requirements. One of the units with a 10 foot garage may make a perfect office.
There is a downside (which might possibly be corrected in a special order) in that the garages aren't generally insulated the same as the rest of the coach. Depending on where you fulltime this may make heating and cooling more difficult

brianharrison

Hello,

My wife and I are considering purchasing a Heartland 5th Wheel (Landmark, Bighorn, or Big Country - although we are open to other models as well) to live in full-time. ...... my wife will do a lot of computer work from the unit, so I would be interested to hear if anyone has experience making any part of the RV work like a small office-space. Some of the models have a small pull-out desk in front of the TV, or a small cubby next to the TV, but are there any options for maybe trading in a sofa for a desk area?

Thanks!

This was an important feature for us as well when we were looking for our current unit - our 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon came with a separate computer/workspace area under the entertainment area. It was a selling feature for us....

Picture attached. (Note: in the picture the table and chairs were temporarily relocated to the back of the coach near the the rear window, that's why they look out of place.....)

Unfortunatly, this configuration is not available anymore (as far as I know). As mentioned by Jim, the new bath and 1/2 models in Bighorn and soon to be Landmark may be able to be configured with 1/2 bath delete and hobby/work room installed.

You can always look for an used early 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon :).

Brian

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 158

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I work while in our RV as a freelance graphic designer, so I love our desk in the ElkRidge 34QSRL. Our next coach will need to have a desk, as well. We like the floorplans Jimtoo mentioned and think they would for an office. I was told there will be a countertop and a cabinet and possibly a window if you opt for the 1/2 bath as a workspace/pantry instead.

There is a floorplan for this concept in the works for Landmark, called the Newport, coming down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n25260

Thanks for all the tips. I think we are looking at the Landmark San Antonio model now. I believe it has a permanent desk next to the television. It might be a bit narrow but I think it will work.

Greengas

Thanks for all the tips. I think we are looking at the Landmark San Antonio model now. I believe it has a permanent desk next to the television. It might be a bit narrow but I think it will work.

One of the selling points on the San Antonio for us was the desk. Also as for carpeting ask for the max vinyl option. Almost eliminates carpeting in the living area.

BrianE

We just ordered a BH 3875FB with the Beaufloor in the kitchen and living area. The only place with carpet is the slides and in the bedroom. The wife also works from home so we have turned the kitchen table in our current trailer into her work space and just use folding TV trays for eating. We might look at removing the table in the new one and get a small computer desk that has more room for a printer and files.

jimtoo

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. Seems as though we all make mods and changes to our unit to make it our RV. If you need help, we have a lot of good information and lots of great folks here and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Join us at a rally when you can.

Jim M

wehavefun

I am looking for a place for my wife to work period! She might not agree but if I could find her another job, I could drink more beer and watch more ball games! !!

guyc66

I am looking for a place for my wife to work period! She might not agree but if I could find her another job, I could drink more beer and watch more ball games! !!

That is brilliant! I might have to take that suggestion and run with it.....