Question on operation of Anderson Valve

Gaffer

I guess I need to replace my Anderson valve. The water went out in the park here while I was in the shower the other day and I was able to continue by turning the pump on. What does that tell me about my valve?

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
You do not have to change the Anderson valve to use the pump when there is no water pressure on the city inlet. At least not on mine. When the city pressure returns I just switch the pump off. Even if I forget to turn the pump off, the pressure from the city water keeps the pump from kicking in anyway. I like the way that works.

danemayer

I guess I need to replace my Anderson valve. The water went out in the park here while I was in the shower the other day and I was able to continue by turning the pump on. What does that tell me about my valve?

I think it tells you that water is leaking inside the diverter assembly, which may mean that the seats on the central rotator assembly are leaking. While it might seem like a benefit to not have to turn the valve to NORMAL to pump from the fresh tank, it also may result in water filling your fresh tank when you're set to CITY.

The servicing and test instruction document, located here, illustrates the Central Rotor assembly on page 3. The seats are replaceable using Anderson Brass part number 9X35. Might be interesting to call Anderson at 843.332.4111 / 800.476.9876 and see if they'll send you 9X35 seats.

TedS

Danemayer, 3 to 5 gpm pumping to a shower is a really big leak not possible through the valve spool clearances. And he does not report fresh water tank overflow while connected to city water.

Gaffer

No fresh water overflow
Danemayer, 3 to 5 gpm pumping to a shower is a really big leak not possible through the valve spool clearances. And he does not report fresh water tank overflow while connected to city water.

danemayer

I guess we'll have to take one of these valves apart and run some tests to gain a better understanding of how they're supposed to work. If someone wants to donate a defective unit they've replaced, I'd be interested.

In the meantime, if it's working for you, maybe the best thing to do is leave it alone.

TedS

I posted the question, can the pump draw from the tank when CITY position is selected, to Anderson Brass Co. I will post the answer when I get it.

TedS

Got this reply from Anderson:
Ted,

Thank you for contacting Anderson Brass for you valve issue.

No, you cannot draw water from your tank in CITY position. This position
allows water from the hookup hose to go directly to the fixtures.

If you want to get water from your holding tank to fixtures the valve handle
must be pointing to NORMAL.

mountainlovers76

Got this reply from Anderson:
Ted,

Thank you for contacting Anderson Brass for you valve issue.

No, you cannot draw water from your tank in CITY position. This position
allows water from the hookup hose to go directly to the fixtures.

If you want to get water from your holding tank to fixtures the valve handle
must be pointing to NORMAL.

If this is how it is supposed to work then someone from the factory plumbed mine wrong. I can pump from the fresh water tank without changing the valve to normal. I have had my Landmark for almost two years with the Anderson valve and used the pump many times and have NEVER changed the valve from city to normal. I change it from City to Tank to fill the fresh water tank and then back to City. That's all I ever do.

TedS

mountainlovers76, now Anderson knows what we know. I posted back to Ron at Anderson the valve use you described and here is his response.
"Ted,

The scenario you describe actually will work - it is just that we never
advertised it that way. I discussed it with our engineering mgr. and he
confirmed your observations as correct. Thank you for pointing that out to
me."

We now have the manufacturer acknowledging that the pump can draw from the tank when the Anderson valve is in the CITY position.

mountainlovers76

mountainlovers76, now Anderson knows what we know. I posted back to Ron at Anderson the valve use you described and here is his response.
"Ted,

The scenario you describe actually will work - it is just that we never
advertised it that way. I discussed it with our engineering mgr. and he
confirmed your observations as correct. Thank you for pointing that out to
me."

We now have the manufacturer acknowledging that the pump can draw from the tank when the Anderson valve is in the CITY position.

Good to know it actually does work that way and it is not a bad valve. I am glad it will work that way. Would hate to have to go outside to switch the valve if the city water went off during bad weather or worse, while taking a shower.