Question on the 3100

Dennyha

I'm doing my research on upgrading to a fifth wheel toyhauler. I'm most interested in the Cyclone 3010 or 3100 models, as my TV is a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW diesel, and I think the larger models might be too heavy.
Anyway, looking at the floorplan for the 3100, it would appear that access to the front bedroom is completely blocked if the bedroom slide out is closed. Is this the case? Do you have to extend the slide out every time you want to access the bedroom?
Thanks

danemayer

Hi Dennyha,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

No doubt your RAM 3500 diesel has plenty of power to pull a 15,500 GVWR trailer like the 3010 or 3100, but it might be close to the edge on payload. You should check the door label on the truck to find the actual payload of your truck. Assume about 20% of the trailer's GVWR will be sitting on the hitch - around 3,100 lbs. Add to that the weight of your hitch, bed liner, bed cover, pets, passengers, tools and any other cargo to see how you're doing on payload. You can also visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing to get additional info.

All that said, we use to pull our 16,000 lb Landmark with a 2011 GMC 3500 CC Longbed SRW. It was right at the payload limit most of the time and handled well.

jeffdee

I have a 2010 F250 Superduty Lariat and pull a Cyclone 3110. It handles it well being at its limit of 16K. However, I hope to upgrade to a DRW F350 when I can afford to make the change. It will make the towing more relaxing while driving.

There is no access to the bedroom or bathroom when the bedroom slide is in. Also, there is no access to the garage from inside when the kitchen and den slides are in.

DocFather

I think I may be missing something. Why the concern about not being able to access the Bedroom when the slide is in?

jeffdee

Hello DocFather, good to hear from you.

I don't know about Dennyha but with me being in my 60's I sometimes need a quick pit stop and there might not be facilities available where I can park the rig. So, I find a safe spot where I can pull off and have to run out the bedroom slide to get to the bathroom. It is still a little tight to get past the den slide so I cannot gain any more weight. Haha!

DocFather

Hello DocFather, good to hear from you.

I don't know about Dennyha but with me being in my 60's I sometimes need a quick pit stop and there might not be facilities available where I can park the rig. So, I find a safe spot where I can pull off and have to run out the bedroom slide to get to the bathroom. It is still a little tight to get past the den slide so I cannot gain any more weight. Haha!

I hear ya on the weight. My goal was to lose 20 pounds by my 68th birthday in May. So far, 44 pounds but I cannot take credit. My Dr. friend replaced one of my diabetic meds in June and I have been peeing every 2 hours since then. Between the fluid loss and the change in metabolism, I am still losing and plan to stop it somehow in another 10 pounds.

Suggestion, that has worked for me, RV or not. Keep a bucket handy and use it then dump it somewhere "green". :cool:

Dennyha

I think I may be missing something. Why the concern about not being able to access the Bedroom when the slide is in?
As Jeffdee noted, sometimes you want to get into the bathroom for a quick pit stop, or grab something out of the bedroom. I've always heard that one shouldn't extend their slides unless the unit has been leveled, as that is commonly the cause for binding and other slide issues. If the closed slide blocks the bathroom and the bedroom, I think I've decided to focus on the 3010.
Thanks for your help.

danemayer

As Jeffdee noted, sometimes you want to get into the bathroom for a quick pit stop, or grab something out of the bedroom. I've always heard that one shouldn't extend their slides unless the unit has been leveled, as that is commonly the cause for binding and other slide issues. If the closed slide blocks the bathroom and the bedroom, I think I've decided to focus on the 3010.
Thanks for your help.
In 40,000 miles of travel, I don't think we've ever had to get something out of the bedroom, so I don't think it would be a problem for me.

But many of us open 1 or more slideouts at truck stops or rest stops without leveling. It shouldn't be a problem to do so.

However, if you want to open a slide at a rest stop, it's handy to have independent controls. Some models have them, while others have a single control to open all the slides. On models with a single control, you may be able to order an upgrade.

Crumgater

We have to park in the street when packing and unpacking the RV... I HATE having the slides extended into the middle of the street (residential, but still lots of people like to drive through) - so needing to put slides out to pack/unpack is not a good thing for us.

We also like to stop at rest stops and parking lots for lunch, so access to the kitchen and fridge (along with the bathroom) with slides in is essential for us, too.

ADIRKS30

Thanks for your help.

We have a 3100 also, the bedroom slide does not block access to bathroom, we use our bathroom all the time while travelling

Dennyha

We're going to a dealer to look at a 2015 Cyclone 3010 today. We weren't planning to move up to a 5er this soon, but we'll see.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nice enjoy it...now go join the owners club...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk