Question on the Dish Tailgater

Ks.Kev

Can I use a longer coax cable on my dish Tailgater?
I have gotten a longer one already, but when I use it cant get all satellites.(1 out of 3)
I don't know which longer coax that I have, (got at wally world) but it was for cable TV.
What came with the original dish Tailgater is [FONT=museo_sans300]50 feet of RG6 coax cable.
[/FONT]
Has anyone used a longer cable with success? What did you use?
And does it matter which size (like RG6/RG8 and so on)?

Thanks for any info on this!

pegmikef

Can I use a longer coax cable on my dish Tailgater?
I have gotten a longer one already, but when I use it cant get all satellites.(1 out of 3)
I don't know which longer coax that I have, (got at wally world) but it was for cable TV.
What came with the original dish Tailgater is [FONT=museo_sans300]50 feet of RG6 coax cable.
[/FONT]
Has anyone used a longer cable with success? What did you use?
And does it matter which size (like RG6/RG8 and so on)?

Thanks for any info on this!

A lot depends on the quality of your cable, the condition of all the connections in your rig and on the cables., an absolutely unobstructed view of all satellites, and of course the weather. Under optimum conditions I have used up to 85 feet (two cables joined using a barrel connector). I am not familiar with RG8. Is the impedance the same as RG6?

MTPockets

We used two 50 ft. Cables connected on occasion when needed, and only once had a problem. I got better quality cables and never had a problem after.

Ks.Kev

A lot depends on the quality of your cable, the condition of all the connections in your rig and on the cables., an absolutely unobstructed view of all satellites, and of course the weather. Under optimum conditions I have used up to 85 feet (two cables joined using a barrel connector). I am not familiar with RG8. Is the impedance the same as RG6?

That was to read RG58u, not RG8.... I got mixed up - that's more for radio communications anyways......
I had purchased a 100' of cable from wally world a few years back, still new but not in original package and tried to use it yesterday....
Could not get ALL the satellites ...... just one out of 3! SO, put the 50' that came with the setup back on and got all 3 satellites......
That made me think maybe that a 50' run is max, so came to ask the Heartland community!
Don't know what RG # on the 100' is (nothing stamped on it saying what it is) or the brand, but it's either inferior or not the right kind!
I'm doing this in preparation for an upcoming trip that I know the Tailgater has to be put out a ways to clear the shade trees at the campsite.
So, working this up at the house where phone signal for the phone is good. I have in the past got help from Dish technical support over the phone which helped. I didn't want to spend much time on this at the campsite and not have phone service!

I noticed another post here saying get GOOD quality cable, What is a GOOD QUALITY cable? Brand?
I might just get another 50' with barrel connector and go that same rout you did and see if that works!

Thanks !!!

Garypowell

Different system but same answer. I have aWinegard G2+ I have been fussing with. My problem eventually was with the H44 receiver that DirecTV replaced at no charge. But in trouble shooting I found out.

1. If you look at Winegard spec (doing SWM) one of their boxes is supposed to be within 25 feet of the dome with a max on SWM of 25 feet and the rest of the SWM gear a total away of 40 feet.

2 I was using 50 feet and all ok but put another 50 feet in system to see and it started to "mist" and I lost the signal.....usually it takes hard rain.

3. Called Winegard and they verified the system for "proper operation" needed to have the distances specified but it would work at longer distances. Except just not as good.....as I saw

4. I was told to use "quad shield" cable. The extra 50 foot I put in system was not.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the coax does not have an RG (Radio Guide) rating I would assume it is RG-58. So dump what you have there and get some RG-6 coax which is the norm for today's digital signals.
Your signal will thank you.

Peace
Dave

Ks.Kev

Thanks all.......
I'm going to get the Quad shield RG6 cable and with fingers crossed that should take care of it!

RoadJunkie

Each connection made on a coax cable will cause some amount of signal loss and, when the signal is marginal, you will want to limit those connections. For example it is better to have a continuous cable for the length needed as opposed to chaining lengths together using barrel connectors. Also, tighten all connections by using a 7/16 wrench; finger tight is also a source of signal loss. Finally, cable science can be quite intricate, even stepping on a cable can cause changes in the characteristics in performance. That is, use the type of cable specifically designated for you system.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks all.......
I'm going to get the Quad shield RG6 cable and with fingers crossed that should take care of it!

How do you like your Tailgaiter? Just picked up a King Tailgater a few days ago. So far, I'm quite impressed.

wdk450

Each connection made on a coax cable will cause some amount of signal loss and, when the signal is marginal, you will want to limit those connections. For example it is better to have a continuous cable for the length needed as opposed to chaining lengths together using barrel connectors. Also, tighten all connections by using a 7/16 wrench; finger tight is also a source of signal loss. Finally, cable science can be quite intricate, even stepping on a cable can cause changes in the characteristics in performance. That is, use the type of cable specifically designated for you system.

I would add to Roadjunkie's helpful post to use a contact restorer/cleaner spray like Caig Cramolyn DeOxIt spray on all electrical connections on a regular basis. I remember a hookup I made on a park cable system in Oregon that got me herringbone lines on the displayed tv picture. I went outside with my spray, saw that the park connector had white corrosion on the threads, sprayed the connector, re-connected the cable, and went back inside the trailer to a perfect tv displayed screen.

On the coax issue with Dish network, I have a VIP722 dual tuner receiver and 1001.2 (black) dish on a manual tripod. For over a year I had been fighting a difference in received signal levels for the 2 tuners. I went through all of the inside trailer wiring and diplexers/triplexers before I finally replaced the outside main dish coax cable with new RG-6. Although the old cable was RG-6, this cable change fixed things. I am guessing that one of the tuner input signal bands from the LMB/switch in the dish was being attenuated by high end frequency response problems with the old cable. The coax has LMB switching signals along with both tuner input signals (they are not just paralleled at the 2 tuner inputs - they are DIFFERENT SIGNALS - Swapping the input 1 and input 2 signal cables will cause everything to fail on a dual input receiver). What I am trying to say here is that good quality RG-6 coax is ESSENTIAL to good Dish network system operation, due to the wide band of signals sent to/from the Dish receiver.

wwtpo3

Hi Everyone. I just purchased a 2017 Landmark 365 Newport. I have tried to hook up tailgater to satellite in connection in compartment outside. Hooked up 211 inside with coax and hdmi out to tv. For some reason it will not recognize my tailgater. I have checked to make sure all connections are on and secure. I even checked OHM with meter to make sure wire was complete. Yes wire is good. Still will not recognize tailgater. Is coax in coach not compatible with dish tailgater? WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. Dealer told me to bring it back. I also found that my backup camera wire has been pushed back in the hole in the back cap and is nowhere to be found. Any suggestions?

danemayer

Hi Everyone. I just purchased a 2017 Landmark 365 Newport. I have tried to hook up tailgater to satellite in connection in compartment outside. Hooked up 211 inside with coax and hdmi out to tv. For some reason it will not recognize my tailgater. I have checked to make sure all connections are on and secure. I even checked OHM with meter to make sure wire was complete. Yes wire is good. Still will not recognize tailgater. Is coax in coach not compatible with dish tailgater? WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. Dealer told me to bring it back. I also found that my backup camera wire has been pushed back in the hole in the back cap and is nowhere to be found. Any suggestions?

Hi wwtpo3,

First thing is to get the tailgater running without using the coach coax wiring. Run the coax through a window or door to the back of your 211 receiver. After it's running, introduce the coach coax.

It sounds like you've checked out the coach wiring, but you might take a look at our owner-written Landmark 365 User Guide to get additional info on how it's set up. The satellite section starts on page 47 or 49 depending on which version you open.

Ks.Kev

I was told you can not run the satellite thru the cable hook-up that's outside the RV. It's for "CABLE SERVICE"
For when it goes to the amp switch for OTA TV antenna, or turned off when you use the parks cable service, the signal WILL NOT go thru!
That was one of my problems..... so, I thought "put in a splitter and run one cable to the TV amp and the other to a NEW wall connection for
the incoming cable to satellite box"! Well, that didn't work either, satellite signal wont go thru a splitter!
I have seen on SOB of RV's that there is a 2 hook up plate on the outside, 1 for CABLE and 1 for SAT
So, I ran a completely independent cable from outside the RV using a outside coax hook-up plate, to the inside using new RG6 Quad shielded cable as suggested and ready to give it a try today (got to late yesterday) and with fingers crossed, this will work!!!!
And yes, I did try and hooked up the cable straight into the back of the satellite box from the tailgater dish and it worked,
SO it is "all about the cable"!!!! (I hope) Will find out and let you all know my results!

avvidclif

I was told you can not run the satellite thru the cable hook-up that's outside the RV. It's for "CABLE SERVICE"
For when it goes to the amp switch for OTA TV antenna, or turned off when you use the parks cable service, the signal WILL NOT go thru!
That was one of my problems..... so, I thought "put in a splitter and run one cable to the TV amp and the other to a NEW wall connection for
the incoming cable to satellite box"! Well, that didn't work either, satellite signal wont go thru a splitter!
I have seen on SOB of RV's that there is a 2 hook up plate on the outside, 1 for CABLE and 1 for SAT
So, I ran a completely independent cable from outside the RV using a outside coax hook-up plate, to the inside using new RG6 Quad shielded cable as suggested and ready to give it a try today (got to late yesterday) and with fingers crossed, this will work!!!!
And yes, I did try and hooked up the cable straight into the back of the satellite box from the tailgater dish and it worked,
SO it is "all about the cable"!!!! (I hope) Will find out and let you all know my results!

Satellite will go thru a splitter, IF you have the right one. A cable TV splitter will not work.

Here's one for example: https://www.amazon.com/DirecTv-MSPL...7009130&sr=8-8&keywords=satellite+tv+splitter

danemayer

Yes, if you connect your satellite dish to the Cable TV coax connector on the trailer it won't work because the satellite signal won't get through the signal booster. But on a Landmark 365, in the UDC, in addition to the Cable TV connector, there are 2 coax connections for satellite feeds to the bedroom and living room.

wwtpo3

Hello Evertone. Thanks for the forum and all your help. We found the problem today. It was a grounded out coax cable end in the couch. Thanks again Rick.