Questions about not buying local and non-Heartland dealerships performing work.

Natesi

I’m totally new to RVing and planning to buy a new Big Horn 3670RL this spring. Word on the street is that my local Big Horn dealership isn’t the type to deal – and they want at least $15Gs more than what I know I can buy it for elsewhere. SO… when the time comes I will give them a chance, but it seems unlikely I will purchase from them.

So, couple questions:

FIRST:
I’ve seen posts on here stating that local Heartland dealerships have refused service to customers that did not buy from them. My question is, was it only warranty work they refused to do, or all work? I just don’t see how a place could stay in business if they refused to service anyone’s RV besides those that were bought from them.

Granted, if a Heartland dealership refused to fix my trailer in-warranty, I seriously doubt I would give such an unethical business the benefit of my hard earned money for out of warranty repairs.

But anyhoo…

SECOND:
From what I understand, you can take your Heartland ANYWHERE for IN-WARRANTY repair, right? The only caveat is that the repair shop has to get approval from Heartland first?

How does that work?? Heartland works-out a reasonable hourly rate for the repair, ships the replacement part, and cuts the shop a check for labor? But before all that happens the approval process has to take place, right? How long does that take?

Is it hard to find dealerships that don’t sell Heartland products to do in-warranty repairs??

Since I can have anyone repair it, does that mean I can hire a business to fix it on my premises – assuming they accept the hourly repair rate negotiated with Heartland and don’t mind WAITING for their check? I’m assuming they get reimbursed after the repair. Anyone know that hourly rate that is offered to the repair shops? Is it reasonable? Is it the same rate offered everywhere in the country?

Much thanks,

-Nathan

Last edited:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Nathan,
First, you answered your own question. My advice is to buy your rig where you can get the best deal, especially if your local dealer won't match the price or beat it. Not too smart of them, as after warranty, business is paid by you, and a good business is there to satisfy their customer and make a profit. Also, Heartland customer service will direct you to the nearest repair facility they or u can find, if your dealer won't fix your rig. Why wouldn't they do the work if they get paid? Secondly, if you are on the open road, the selling dealer isn't available, so call the Heartland customer service number and they will take care of you with succinct instructions. It happens all the time, so why couldn't that be utilized even locally. I got great service from a local repair facility 5 blocks from where my rig is stowed. So don't worry about that aspect in the least. Who cares? There are alot of excellent repair facilities that will gladly take your business in this economy.

Second question was mostly answered in the earlier paragraph.
Elaborating, something breaks, your dealer is too far away or shuns you, just call Heartland customer service and they will direct you to a local repair shop or find your own, call them ask if they will deal with Heartland warranty, and follow the previous step. It works fast if done right. Example, I am from CA, was in Oregon, and one of my springs broke in Tillamook. I limped into a Les Schwab's, called customer service, who gave me the frame mfr's Lipperts number which is in your rig or paperwork, who asked Schwab to take pics by cell phone showing the damage. The repairs were instantly approved from Lippert, and parts were overnighted and after 2 days camping in the back of Schwabs, I was repaired, I paid my own bill, and was reimbursed by Lippert once they got back the broken parts, and examined them. It is true that I got stiffed on the tire that was ruined by the frame resting on that tire, but I had upgraded the tire from an E to G and Lippert only allowed $65 for the $315 tire, reasoning the original tire was only worth that amount. It wasn't perfect but it worked for me. What you missed is sometimes after Heartland approves the repair, the repair shop wants to get paid, so unless you are willing to wait, once it is approved you pay and get reimbursed. I didn't feel like wasting 3 or 4 days while on the road, so I made that choice. If you are in a local area, and not on a trip, so maybe you have to wait a week to get Heartland to pay up, so if you are in a hurry you can pay it yourself again, and get reimbursed. The secret is making sure that Heartland and the repair shop agree on a price for the repair. Many times pictures aren't good enough and the repair shop has to justify their solution with their own drawings and reasons for fixing the problem their way to acquiesce Heartland. If you are local use your fingers to dial local RV repair shops, who will contact Heartland before you utilize their service to make sure you can get a satisfactory result. Heartland has their hourly charges, and sometimes they don't fit the local repair shop rates. So find another closeby repair shop who will. The secret is to have Heartland customer service speak directly with the repair shop before they attempt a repair. Common sense prevails.
So many people buy out of town, or who are on the road my comments can be backed by many Heartland owners. Obviously, if you want to buy local, negotiate with the dealer before you buy regarding service. If they are resistant, then don't buy from them, unless they have the best price and you have some local RV repair shops who will gladly fix your problem and will work with Heartland's customer service and their hourly prices. You aren't the first person with these same questions. I got so upset with my dealer at one point, they sent a driver to pick up my rig, deliver it to the dealer, who repaired the last problems under warranty. Before I left home, I made sure that they said everything was fixed properly, I then drove to the dealer with my TV and made sure all my repairs WERE done properly, and I didn't drive off until they were completed to my satisfaction.

I am an x-rookie, who succeeded in getting it done, just like you can too.
I hope I answered your questions to your satisfaction and if you have any further questions, just PM me to discuss.

wdk450

Great post, Larry

Nathan,
First, you answered your own question. My advice is to buy your rig where you can get the best deal, especially if your local dealer won't match the price or beat it. Not too smart of them, as after warranty, business is paid by you, and a good business is there to satisfy their customer and make a profit. Also, Heartland customer service will direct you to the nearest repair facility they or u can find, if your dealer won't fix your rig. Why wouldn't they do the work if they get paid? Secondly, if you are on the open road, the selling dealer isn't available, so call the Heartland customer service number and they will take care of you with succinct instructions. It happens all the time, so why couldn't that be utilized even locally. I got great service from a local repair facility 5 blocks from where my rig is stowed. So don't worry about that aspect in the least. Who cares? There are alot of excellent repair facilities that will gladly take your business in this economy.

Second question was mostly answered in the earlier paragraph.
Elaborating, something breaks, your dealer is too far away or shuns you, just call Heartland customer service and they will direct you to a local repair shop or find your own, call them ask if they will deal with Heartland warranty, and follow the previous step. It works fast if done right. Example, I am from CA, was in Oregon, and one of my springs broke in Tillamook. I limped into a Les Schwab's, called customer service, who gave me the frame mfr's Lipperts number which is in your rig or paperwork, who asked Schwab to take pics by cell phone showing the damage. The repairs were instantly approved from Lippert, and parts were overnighted and after 2 days camping in the back of Schwabs, I was repaired, I paid my own bill, and was reimbursed by Lippert once they got back the broken parts, and examined them. It is true that I got stiffed on the tire that was ruined by the frame resting on that tire, but I had upgraded the tire from an E to G and Lippert only allowed $65 for the $315 tire, reasoning the original tire was only worth that amount. It wasn't perfect but it worked for me. What you missed is sometimes after Heartland approves the repair, the repair shop wants to get paid, so unless you are willing to wait, once it is approved you pay and get reimbursed. I didn't feel like wasting 3 or 4 days while on the road, so I made that choice. If you are in a local area, and not on a trip, so maybe you have to wait a week to get Heartland to pay up, so if you are in a hurry you can pay it yourself again, and get reimbursed. The secret is making sure that Heartland and the repair shop agree on a price for the repair. Many times pictures aren't good enough and the repair shop has to justify their solution with their own drawings and reasons for fixing the problem their way to acquiesce Heartland. If you are local use your fingers to dial local RV repair shops, who will contact Heartland before you utilize their service to make sure you can get a satisfactory result. Heartland has their hourly charges, and sometimes they don't fit the local repair shop rates. So find another closeby repair shop who will. The secret is to have Heartland customer service speak directly with the repair shop before they attempt a repair. Common sense prevails.
So many people buy out of town, or who are on the road my comments can be backed by many Heartland owners. Obviously, if you want to buy local, negotiate with the dealer before you buy regarding service. If they are resistant, then don't buy from them, unless they have the best price and you have some local RV repair shops who will gladly fix your problem and will work with Heartland's customer service and their hourly prices. You aren't the first person with these same questions. I got so upset with my dealer at one point, they sent a driver to pick up my rig, deliver it to the dealer, who repaired the last problems under warranty. Before I left home, I made sure that they said everything was fixed properly, I then drove to the dealer with my TV and made sure all my repairs WERE done properly, and I didn't drive off until they were completed to my satisfaction.

I am an x-rookie, who succeeded in getting it done, just like you can too.
I hope I answered your questions to your satisfaction and if you have any further questions, just PM me to discuss.

The only thing I might add is that Heartland will NOT pay the "Travel Charge" that a lot of mobile RV servicers have. Google "RV service Yourtown" to find a good listing service providers. Check the "RV Service Reviews" website for other RVers experiences with servicers.

airedale

repairs....

the few of us who believe in not helping the local dealer become rich beyond his wildest dreams have probably all had the problems you are wondering about.......my 3210 had 2 or 3 issues that were looked after by a local service shop and not the dealer.......i took digitals of the problem.....e-mailed them to and talked to my factory rep .....he ok'ed the work which i paid for and then faxed the invoice to him......i had a check from heartland for the full amount less gst within a couple of weeks......they are good folks and [i've found] nice people......which is why i have a nice new 3055.........hi gary.....i'm baaaack..........cheers.....pete

RoadJunkie

The way I approached the local vs best deal dilemma was to find a best deal and offer my local dealer the chance to come close. Their deal didn't have to match, but just come close. After one phone call and an email listing the options for comparison, I never heard from them again. So...what's a guy to do? You guessed it.

I haven't approached any warranty work with them as of this point, but I doubt they will reject the business. I may not get a hot reception, but I believe they will see green and all will be OK.

bigredtruck

the few of us who believe in not helping the local dealer become rich beyond his wildest dreams have probably all had the problems you are wondering about.......my 3210 had 2 or 3 issues that were looked after by a local service shop and not the dealer.......i took digitals of the problem.....e-mailed them to and talked to my factory rep .....he ok'ed the work which i paid for and then faxed the invoice to him......i had a check from heartland for the full amount less gst within a couple of weeks......they are good folks and [i've found] nice people......which is why i have a nice new 3055.........hi gary.....i'm baaaack..........cheers.....pete

We also bought our rig far from home as the price couldn't be beat. Only had a couple of warranty items and Heartland Customer Service found a repair shop near us to do the work. Very easy to work with. The Heartland dealers in British Columbia also won't do warranty work if you didn't buy from them. Short sighted way to do things if you ask me.

PUG

Pug
I purchased my 3950 cyclone two years ago from a dealer about 275 miles away. The local dealer did not have a 3950 to see. I searched the internet and found dealers all around the country that were willing to sell me one of course and one especially from Texas that would deliver one set up to me specs at a good price. (about 20k less than others) and they were legit. I printed the spec sheet from this dealer and drove 275 too see a 3950 that had just been delivered for a rv show. We looked it over and fell in love with it. I presented the dealer with the printout and after much head scratching he agreed to the price. They serviced it and I took delivery the same day. They of course had little flooring cost and I was a cash buyer. I have since used the local Heartland dealer to fix a jack issue with no problem. I had the charger go out last winter in Tucson and the local dealer was not at all wanting to fix it so I called Heartland myself, had the charger sent to me, and I installed it. Just kind of depends on who you deal with sometimes.

airedale

Gst....

this is kinda the federal sales tax up here in the north......if we buy in the US then, at the border crossing, we have to pay 5% of the purchase price [which is changed over to canadian funds by the customs people].......thing is, if i save $20000 buying in the states, that saves me $1000 in federal gst... and another $1400 in provincial tax [which they get when i license and insure the unit].....that's just BC....the blue eyed shieks in alberta dont have that 7% hit..:D.......and you all wondered how we could afford our health system........:cool:.....

I did the online shopping, and then took the quote to my local dealer. They came close (within $5,000), and talked about the importance of local service, etc. That was 16 months ago. During the warranty period, it was in their shop 6 times - not because of Heartland, but because my local dealer's service department did a terrible job of trying to fix problems. Heartland was great, ExploreUSA in Boerne, TX was aweful. I wish I had saved the $5,000 and purchased from an online dealer, as the service talk was just that - lip service. I wouldn't buy from ExploreUSA again, and tell everyone who mentions an RV to stay clear of their Boerne, TX location.

Natesi

Thanks all,

Yeah, I'm thinking if my dealership can come somewhat close (say $3Gs) then it might be worth it. But who knows... their service might suck anyway.

I do plan on performing as many repairs as I can myself (in-warranty or out of warranty). I'm kinda that way with my car -- I just don't trust anyone to do as good of a job as I'm going to do. Heck, it's impossible to even get a proper oil change these days. But anyway, I'm not going to buy a tow vehicle, since it will very rarely be moving. I plan on hiring a service for that -- another reason why I won't be bringing it to the dealership unless it's necessary.

One thing I'm wondering about is leaving it parked somewhere for a really long time... isn't it bad for the tires to rest in one spot for a long time (like a year or more)? Or will it not hurt them? Should I take the tires off?

Thanks,

-Nathan

RoadJunkie

According to the Heartland Manual, fill tires to stated sidewall pressure and shade the tires for direct light. I have also heard you should move the trailer on a regular basis (guessing once a month?) so that the sidewalls don't take a set.

Natesi

According to the Heartland Manual, fill tires to stated sidewall pressure and shade the tires for direct light. I have also heard you should move the trailer on a regular basis (guessing once a month?) so that the sidewalls don't take a set.

Wow -- moving it once a month definately isn't gong to work for me. Anyway I can just take them off? Any other options you can think of?

lwmcguir

The new radials don't need to be moved. When you take it out after sitting say for 6 months, just drive slow for the first 15 minutes. Not a problem at all with good tires. This sounds like advice for the old polyester/nylon tires about 25 years ago.

porthole

Retired
I have also heard you should move the trailer on a regular basis (guessing once a month?) so that the sidewalls don't take a set.

I move mine on a regular basis. I moved it into position as far back into the driveway and away from the house as possible (all covered up now) and I will move it again around April.

I regularly do this every year :D

Although I might check the tire pressure on a nice day in the middle of the winter.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
I drove about 1100 miles to buy my Sundance. I found the dealer, All American Coach (http://www.allamericancoach.com), near Toledo, OH, from an internet ad. They had the model I wanted for a very good price. My two local dealers could not get close to the price -- the drive was worth it. They would have delivered, but I wanted to visit the dealer and I was able to see the Heartland plant from the highway as I drove by -- bonus! Also, I talked with my sales person, Lisa Schnapp, several times over the course of a couple months before I made my decision. She was great and the whole experience was great.

What gave me extra confidence in buying from a distant dealer is that they are a Route 66 RV network member (http://www.route66rv.com/). I have not had to try the network yet, but when you purchase from a Route 66 dealer you are suppose to be given priority service at any other Route 66 dealers. The dealer 30 minutes from me is also a Route 66 member, so I expect this will be useful. Route 66 members are in most states, so while I am traveling this may be helpful too.