Quick question

Lndeatr

I'm not sure whe this would be better placed so I am putting it in general discussions. We are on our maiden voyage in our 2013 CY 300 and are loving it. We loved our Cougar but being able to take the Harley with us and the back porch are wonderful. Anyway I digress..Does this rig have an internal wat regulator? The fresh water connection has "100 PSI Max" next to the inlet. Wen I use the 50 PSI regulator that came with the starter kit I get low water pressure. If I use tank water and the pump the pressure is good. I took a shower this morning while my wife was cleaning the kitchen and she said the pressure went to a trickle. Shower was low also.Thanks,Martin

danemayer

Hi lndeatr,

I've moved the thread into the plumbing subforum for better visibility with similar questions.

There is no built-in water pressure regulator; you need an external regulator. However, the start-up kit regulators, and inexpensive regulators from big-box stores and many dealerships do not have good water flow. They regulate the pressure to 50psi to prevent damage to the water system, but may restrict water flow to as little as 1/4 Gal/minute.

Here's a link to a good explanation of the difference between pressure and flow. This site also sells better quality regulators that have good water flow. They're a little pricey, but they will improve your situation (as long as the campground water supply is sufficient).

Many of us have purchased the Watts 263A, found on this page.

You'll also find that the Oygenics Shower Head does a much better job than standard shower heads. Many RV dealer parts departments will stock an Oxygenics in the $30-40 price range.

If you're using a water filter, keep in mind that as the filters clog, water flow is reduced significantly.

Lndeatr

Thanks. We are gonna head out to buy some chairs (we forgot to pack ours and want to enjoy our porch). I'll see about a regulator at the same time. Our shower head (upgraded) works fine with the pump on so I am sure it is just a flow rate problem.

ParkIt

First time out I forgot the regulator I picked up a cheap one...everything just about went to a trickle in the entire unit so I finally read the stamp "50 PSI" and that was at the hose hook up before the filter.
Nope, haven't used it since.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My system is probably overkill, but I have a pressure gage before my filters, and the Watts N55BG regulator after them. So I can see if there is a drop in pressure due to the filters clogging. I also have a water meter after the regulator that lets me keep track of how much I've flowed thru the filters, as well as how much I'm putting in the black tank via the flusher.

danemayer

Hey, Dan, any specific model as I found several Watts 263As on that link and I don't know enough about plumbing to tell the difference between them except a couple of bucks difference in price. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

There are two variants resulting in several different price points. 1st variant is zinc-coated parts versus stainless steel. Presumably, maintenance will be required on the zinc-coated parts earlier than on the version with stainless steel. The other variant is whether it comes with a pressure gauge.

I have the one with stainless steel parts and the gauge. #F3005 263A Regulator with s/s parts kit. Note that it passes 4-4.5 Gallons per minute. Most RV pumps are 4 GPM or less.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT]

pegmikef

Thanks, Dan. Just ordered it. I am trying to get few things together so I am ready to take delivery on the new BH hopefully within a week or two.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Just wondering where you mount the Watts regulator.
I'm thinking the hookup at the pedestal would be sturdier but being a bit of an untrusting sort the UDC would seem more secure. I'm hesitant to put that much weight on the plastic connector at the UDC. Also, would it stick out too far to close the door? Perhaps using a stub hose between the regulator and UDC?

danemayer

My regulator is in a blue bin that houses the a stage water filter. The regulator is after the filters so it doesn't get its screen clogged.

If you put it in the UDC, a short hose to the city water connection will be helpful. Remember that the short hose will be under constant pressure and if it fails, you'll have lots of water flooding the UDC. The RVWaterFilterStore also sells high-quality short hoses for this purpose.