Ram Diesel Filter source

Bones

The best way not to make a mess (for the most part) is have someone else do it.

I have been changing oil, cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats etc since the 70's, and I still make a mess at times. Ask me sometime how I spread used diesel oil all over the driveway and myself someday :rolleyes:

On my truck the filter is mounted vertical, makes it difficult to get the filter off without some splashing, and I always change the oil hot.

What I do is a use a wide pan, sometimes I use a transmission drain pan funnel, and before twisting the filter off I hammer a 12" landscape nail across the bottom (sharpened), about 2" up from the bottom to make sure I hit the inner can. This will still tend to make some mess puling the nail back out, but less then trying to spin off a 2 quart filter full of hot oil laying on our back.

View attachment 46859
I'm cheap. They got fancy with these trucks and gave me side access to the filter and a catch pan at the bottom. If I can figure out how to remove that pan I might be able to just drop the filter down though the bottom but no. I have this little space that I need to turn the filter 90 degrees once I drain it and whoosh it pours out. I think I will follow your suggestion this time and punch a hole in the bottom first then twist it off. And next time we meet up I will ask about your oil adventure.

SNOKING

I guess I will be ordering the fleet guard filter. How have you guys changed your oil. I ended up making a mess trying to get the filter out.

From the top after removing the tube between the air filter box and the turbo.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...-2013-and-up-oil-change?p=2439304#post2439304

attachment.php

Jim.Allison

The fleetguard "Stratapore" filter accepts the lisle filter wrench. A ratchet with a long extension will reach the filter from teh bottom. The lisle wrench will support the filter in the upright position so it will not tip. I use a 16 quart oil recovery pan to catch and recycle, I have seen others that use a plastic mortar or cement mixing tub to catch the oil which virtually eliminates spills.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-61580-...521&sr=8-1&keywords=cummins+oil+filter+wrench

Bones

Thanks. I have 8 thousand to go before my next change. I just changed the fuel filters this evening. Made a mess. Next time I will have different catch pans. Why do they put so much stuff in the way on maintenance items?

Jim.Allison

You have a different brake system in the 3500 than I do In my 2013 2500. So I don't know what is in the way of your fuel filter, My master cylinder really makes it difficult. I have to use a u-joint. I do know that it is a real knuckle buster to get a socket on that filter top. No matter how light of a torque I use, that filter lid is heck to get off. But the oil filter is easy from underneath with the lisle wrench. I have seen all kinds of techniques on YouTube, but I do not think they compare to good old school technique of taking it off from underneath. The Stratapore filter is a must. There is no direct cross to the Stratapore, unless you find it in some of the industrial filters. Fleetguard and Cummins are tight, just like Valvoline. The reason that RAM and Cummins will not specify Valvoline is because they can't demand that you use a certain brand. But if you look at the Valvoline Premium Blue bottle, it has the Cummins logo on it. I promise that Cummins logo is not cheap and there is a reason that it is on the bottle. However there are manny oil brands that meet CES 20081. I use Kendell 15-40 and it meets the Cummins spec.
Thanks. I have 8 thousand to go before my next change. I just changed the fuel filters this evening. Made a mess. Next time I will have different catch pans. Why do they put so much stuff in the way on maintenance items?

Bones

You have a different brake system in the 3500 than I do In my 2013 2500. So I don't know what is in the way of your fuel filter, My master cylinder really makes it difficult. I have to use a u-joint. I do know that it is a real knuckle buster to get a socket on that filter top. No matter how light of a torque I use, that filter lid is heck to get off. But the oil filter is easy from underneath with the lisle wrench. I have seen all kinds of techniques on YouTube, but I do not think they compare to good old school technique of taking it off from underneath. The Stratapore filter is a must. There is no direct cross to the Stratapore, unless you find it in some of the industrial filters. Fleetguard and Cummins are tight, just like Valvoline. The reason that RAM and Cummins will not specify Valvoline is because they can't demand that you use a certain brand. But if you look at the Valvoline Premium Blue bottle, it has the Cummins logo on it. I promise that Cummins logo is not cheap and there is a reason that it is on the bottle. However there are manny oil brands that meet CES 20081. I use Kendell 15-40 and it meets the Cummins spec.

I wanted to use the Valvoline oil but I couldn't find the synthetic version around here so I used the Rotella T6. I think any more now a days the consumer is better off just ordering the stuff they need from the internet. I will order the fleetguard filter too and have all this stuff for my next oil change. I'll follow what Iron J does and watch Amazon for deals.

SNOKING

I just ordered 2 Donaldson P558615 ($7.65 ea) oil filters, and 2 bottles of XDP Diesel Power Plus fuel additive (treats 400 gallons) ($8.95 ea) from Xtreme Diesel Performance online ( http://www.xtremediesel.com ) .

Why do you want to run a non Stratopore on our Cummins? That filter cross references to the Fleetguard LF3349.

There is a note about the LF3349 in this document. The LF3349 was ok for the older 12V Cummins.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-004-01.htm

Chris

Jim.Allison

OIL FILTER - FLEETGUARD - STRATAPORE ('89-'16, 6.7L & 5.9L) - LF16035

Is the filter, and it covers 1989 to 2016 Cummins. It is a by-pass filter. Many people do not know what a by-pass filter is, and think that they need to go to a Wix or some other filter (there are many filters with excellent reputations) but none of them compare to the Stratapore (or Bypass filters form some of the other industrial dedicated brands. By doing this they are entering the world of "will work" instead of the correct filter. They won't learn until they get a piece of their oil filter hung up in their piston oil cooling jets or some other part of their engine lubrication system. The Fleetguard is made for diesel engines and will not come apart. The Fleetguard Stratapore is a by-pass filter, and is desirable as the filter of choice for that reason, as is some of the other industrial filters. All filters are not the same and this is a bad area to be taking chances since it is less than a $20 purchase for something you can run up to 15,000 miles. If you buy the Mopar filter it will be a Stratapore in a blue box. I would not try to run a "will work" filter for 15K miles. For those that do not know, a by-pass filter has two filter medias. On each pass a percentage of your oil passes through a finer filter, while the bulk of your oil is filtered by the main media. The idea is that all your oil is filtered through the finer filter every 10 minutes or so. It has nothing to do with letting your oil go unfiltered because the filter is clogged.

The correct Stratapore filter, and Cummins spec CES 20081, change oil at 6 month or 15K miles, common sense maintenance and your Cummins 6.7 will likely last 1 million miles.

I don't use Valvoline I use an oil that I personally favor, but reading this thread I have seen many errors about endorsements. Read it for yourself. Valvoline STATES that they are endorsed by Cummins. It is also noteworthy that some oils will say that they meet CES 20081, or "exceeds" CES 20081, that is different than an endorsement.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/s...fs/product_lit/americas_brochures/CF-2296.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, including Shell Rotella.......LOL

SNOKING

Is the filter, and it covers 1989 to 2016 Cummins. It is a by-pass filter. Many people do not know what a by-pass filter is, and think that they need to go to a Wix or some other filter (there are many filters with excellent reputations) but none of them compare to the Stratapore (or Bypass filters form some of the other industrial dedicated brands. By doing this they are entering the world of "will work" instead of the correct filter. They won't learn until they get a piece of their oil filter hung up in their piston oil cooling jets or some other part of their engine lubrication system. The Fleetguard is made for diesel engines and will not come apart. The Fleetguard Stratapore is a by-pass filter, and is desirable as the filter of choice for that reason, as is some of the other industrial filters. All filters are not the same and this is a bad area to be taking chances since it is less than a $20 purchase for something you can run up to 15,000 miles. If you buy the Mopar filter it will be a Stratapore in a blue box. I would not try to run a "will work" filter for 15K miles. For those that do not know, a by-pass filter has two filter medias. On each pass a percentage of your oil passes through a finer filter, while the bulk of your oil is filtered by the main media. The idea is that all your oil is filtered through the finer filter every 10 minutes or so. It has nothing to do with letting your oil go unfiltered because the filter is clogged.

The correct Stratapore filter, and Cummins spec CES 20081, change oil at 6 month or 15K miles, common sense maintenance and your Cummins 6.7 will likely last 1 million miles.

I don't use Valvoline I use an oil that I personally favor, but reading this thread I have seen many errors about endorsements. Read it for yourself. Valvoline STATES that they are endorsed by Cummins. It is also noteworthy that some oils will say that they meet CES 20081, or "exceeds" CES 20081, that is different than an endorsement.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/s...fs/product_lit/americas_brochures/CF-2296.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

What he said about the Fleetguard/Mopar Stratopore filter. ^^^^^^!!!! Chris

Bones

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I would much rather have my engine go 300,000 miles. So some math please. :cool:

Expected engine life 300,000 miles with premium oil Full Synthetic at 15,000 mile oil changes.

Over the expected life that will be 20 oil changes.

If filter cost $25.00 that will be a total of $500.00 over the life of the engine vs a $13,000.00 dollar engine. Not a bad deal. :)

If you drive 15k a year that will give you an expected life span of 20 years for the truck.

Bones

I don't think these can truly be called By-pass but I will let industry motor on. Here is a video showing a fleetguard filter so we can better understand what might be going on.

Bones

Does it matter if you buy the Fleet guard or the Mopar brand? Are they exactly the same?

SNOKING

Buy a piece of clear tubing that will fit the rear fuel filter bib long enough to reach your container. It will then also slide inside the hose on the front filter and extend down below all the junk below the filter. Chris

Bones

Buy a piece of clear tubing that will fit the rear fuel filter bib long enough to reach your container. It will then also slide inside the hose on the front filter and extend down below all the junk below the filter. Chris
I did that for the rear filter. But when I unscrewed the filter it dumped fuel everywhere. The DW is still mad at me because she says my old shirt is stinking up everything. I found the hose in the front so I bought a tube fitting and a little bit longer tube to attach next time for the front. The current tube ended just above the cross bracket and let fuel go all over. Ahh you live and learn. I'll make changes the next time I change them.

Thanks all for your suggestions. they helped out a lot.

I will say this although the filters were not terrible to get to or work on I wish the engineers and designers would put more thought into the making stuff like this a little bit better and simpler to get to

porthole

Retired
The Fleetguard Stratapore is a by-pass filter, and is desirable as the filter of choice for that reason,

The problem with the Stratapore is that since they are part of Cummins Filtration they are only made for the Cummins :rolleyes:
When I had my Duramax I looked into adding a bypass filtering kit to it. Did a lot of research and decided not to do because it had some detrimental issues with he D-max. Although I cannot find any of that research I did and don't remember why ........

Read it for yourself. Valvoline STATES that they are endorsed by Cummins. It is also noteworthy that some oils will say that they meet CES 20081, or "exceeds" CES 20081, that is different than an endorsement.

"Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Full Synthetic Engine Oil is exclusivelyendorsed and recommended by Cummins, meeting API CJ-4specifications, including Cummins CES 20081"

I read that exclusive endorsement as:

Hi Mr. Valvoline, if you supply us with all the oil we need for our production lines and pay us to use it, we will give you an exclusive recommendation, providing it is done in a way where we don't force our customers to use blue, which would cause us to go into the red providing free oil.

- - - Updated - - -

If you drive 15k a year that will give you an expected life span of 20 years for the truck.

Expected life span of the engine - Since the first Mitsubishi diesel went into a Dodge pickup, there has been an issue of million mile engines in 100K trucks.
Judging by the amount of rust under my truck, I would expect the engine to way outlast the body as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it matter if you buy the Fleet guard or the Mopar brand? Are they exactly the same?

No.
The MOPAR branded filter is a good filter which used to made in Germany. Now I think they are made in mexico. Don't know what that may or may have not done to the quality.