Ready to upgrade to FW TH and looking at Heartlands...

kategrass

Hey everyone,

My husband and I are full-timing (working remotely), hitting our one year mark in two days! We are currently in a 35 foot TT and we are looking at upgrading to a toy hauler. Thinking about the Cyclone or Road Warrior. I've looked at floor plans online and determine our must haves and nice-to-haves. Not yet decided on buying new or used yet.

If we were to buy new, can anyone share info on how the process works? Can you customize your rig from the factory and if so, how do we start looking at those options?

Thanks in advance!

weekender01

Exciting that you are looking to upgrade. Our family is in the same boat as you so hopefully I can share a few things I have learned so far as I research this as well.

If you were to buy new your dealer will work with Heartland to order your unit including any options. Current lead time I was quoted is 6 - 8 weeks. There may be a few items that will not be on the dealer sheet that you may be able to add to one of the units. AJ, the Product Manager for the Cyclone and RW lines, may be able to add these however. The Cyclone and RW are pretty much loaded with everything, but I have heard that you can possibly change out furniture on some on the models. We are looking at a Torque and AJ has helped me by adding a few items from the Cyclone line to the Torque so our dealer is quoting it right now for us.

Personally I prefer for Heartland to build it with the things I want if possible than go back later and add them as an aftermarket item. I am sure others will be along to assist and hopefull AJ will respond as well.

Good luck.

kategrass

Thanks for the response! I'd submitted a message on FB as well, and AJ has been sent my contact info so hopefully I'll hear from him soon.

So much information to process!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have a few opinions regarding upgrading.
1) Consider upgrading your axles to MorRyde IS suspension with disc brakes. Over the years we have seen and experienced multiple failures with conventional axles and drum brakes. For me, when we upgrade next we will definitely get this.
2) After seeing many older rigs with worn and faded decals along with front and rear cap it is my opinion that full body paint is the only way to avoid this, that is if you intend to keep the rig for a long time.

Miltp920

I recommend going to the biggest RV dealer you can find with the type units you think you might want, you said cyclone and RW. We just did this a few months ago, It was like our own personnal RV show. A RV show would not be a bad idea IF you have one near you. being able to see the product is what landed us in our 3100 cyclone toyhauler. We are really glad we got the 6 point level everytime we set up camp.

alex00

When I was shopping AJ was very helpful both on the phone and over email. There used to be an option list floating around but I'm sure it's changed from 14 when I bought. Although the factory won't really do major floor plan changes on a custom basis I have read they will do some mods. One member had the sliding glass door replaced with a wood door.

For us, we ordered ours through a dealer and picked all the options we wanted. I ordered custom since at the time it was next to impossible to find the floor plan I wanted locally, and even harder to find one with all our options.

GnR

Kate,
My wife and I are getting ready to go FT in the next year or so and I've been looking at the Cyclone and Road Warrior as well....can't wait for the St. Louis RV show to get here. When I first started looking, I was trying to stay under 40 ft. for the simple fact that we would be able to park at more campsites that would accommodate the size of TH. But after deciding which amenities were most important, and the fact that this will be our home, I figured that we might as well go all out and get what is most comfortable. That has led me to the Cyclone and Road Warrior. Now I just have to decide between either the CY4200, or 4250 and the RW 420, or 427. At least I've narrowed it down to four out of the hundreds of models available. I look forward to the adventure and wish you the best in yours.

BTW, Did you and your husband happen to go on a cruise in Alaska in 2002? We met a Kate Grass on the ship and thought it would be too coincidental. //heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/smile.png