Really, no solar?

bobca1

Somehow I overlooked this one. Right now I have a Sandstorm 180SLC with a factory installed 200W solar charger. Just sold it to upgrade to a Cyclone 3110 (hopefully this weekend). This was an extra option on the Sandstorm, and after using it for the past year, I can now say its the one "extra" feature that I am so glad came with the one I bought and will absolutely always have it in the future. After 10+ weekends of primitive camping, still have only 30 hours on my generator the only time we use it when we need the AC. Never experienced a dead battery in the entire year I owned it.
I had just assumed that spending 2X as much for a "luxury" toy hauler a solar batter charger would be standard. Does not even appear to be an option :(
I found the dedicated solar forum on this site with excellent information.
Just wondering if anyone has installed solar on their 3110, and if so could you give me some install tips. Where did you mount the panels and where was a good place to run the power cable? Seems that most installations run the power close to the sewer vent pipe. Should this be a straight forward install - enough clearance and access space to route the power this way and up to the battery?
Found a great review on an inexpensive system here. $350 from Amazon for complete 200W system!
http://www.loveyourrv.com/installing-renogy-200w-solar-kit-rv/
This is going to be my first project - will be installing it right away.

bobca1

Sounds like a great option to have to support primitive camping.

Yes works really well out here in sunny southwest, practically endless supply of free electricity! Only once and that was just 3 weeks ago in early Jan was out on a rainy weekend and had to fire up the generator to charge the battery.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I will-called a 200 watt system directly from Renogy in Chino last year. http://www.renogy-store.com/

I have been very happy with it, as we dry camp often. I believe it was slightly cheaper than the price given at Amazon. Very nice people to deal with and you can will-call, or get free shipping. Trace

Jim.Allison

Solar is the way to go, once I'm in the mountains and I don't need air conditioning, I do not require my generator and certainly do not require pedestal power.

Jim.Allison

I do not know how to post a pic from my gallery, but you can go there to see my panels. They are inexpensive and are probably the best on the market. IF you are only running a small inverter you only need one of these and a small mppt charger. infact you really don't even need a mppt controller, just a regular controller will keep you supplied. You can also search the part number which I have supplied on my signature with my list of mods.

Somehow I overlooked this one. Right now I have a Sandstorm 180SLC with a factory installed 200W solar charger. Just sold it to upgrade to a Cyclone 3110 (hopefully this weekend). This was an extra option on the Sandstorm, and after using it for the past year, I can now say its the one "extra" feature that I am so glad came with the one I bought and will absolutely always have it in the future. After 10+ weekends of primitive camping, still have only 30 hours on my generator the only time we use it when we need the AC. Never experienced a dead battery in the entire year I owned it.
I had just assumed that spending 2X as much for a "luxury" toy hauler a solar batter charger would be standard. Does not even appear to be an option :(
I found the dedicated solar forum on this site with excellent information.
Just wondering if anyone has installed solar on their 3110, and if so could you give me some install tips. Where did you mount the panels and where was a good place to run the power cable? Seems that most installations run the power close to the sewer vent pipe. Should this be a straight forward install - enough clearance and access space to route the power this way and up to the battery?
Found a great review on an inexpensive system here. $350 from Amazon for complete 200W system!
http://www.loveyourrv.com/installing-renogy-200w-solar-kit-rv/
This is going to be my first project - will be installing it right away.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Well, somebody on this forum has probably done a solar installation with just about every possible option. Trace used a 200W kit with rigid poly-crystalline panels. Jim did an all-in installation with a 45A charge controller, big inverter/charger and 600W of thin-film panels. Here's some PICS of my installation which is somewhere in the middle and uses semi-flexible mono-crystalline panels.

Jim.Allison

Very nice, you used the same method I did on securing the wires. It works great, but I ran out of tape and used a small piece which did come undone, no matter I got another roll and will do it right this time.

I think If I was doing it today I would take a better energy survey. I used solar rules of thumb to size mine, luckily my system is fairly balanced as far as capacity and ability to recharge.

Well, somebody on this forum has probably done a solar installation with just about every possible option. Trace used a 200W kit with rigid poly-crystalline panels. Jim did an all-in installation with a 45A charge controller, big inverter/charger and 600W of thin-film panels. Here's some PICS of my installation which is somewhere in the middle and uses semi-flexible mono-crystalline panels.

bobca1

Very nice install! I really like the more streamlined fit of the semi-flexible panels and that you do not have to drill holes into the roof for brackets. What if a panel fails though and needs to be replaced, would you be able to get it loose without damaging the roof?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I actually used the rigid mono-crystalline panels for my install and plan to add two more, with two additional batteries for a total of 400 watts.
I used Dicor sealant generously where I affixed the brackets to the roof and have had zero problems after over a year.

szewczyk_john

Wow!! starting a roof install project next week. Must be nice, I would have to shovel about a foot of snow off my roof before I could even see my roof.

ILH

Its too bad that there isn't (I'm assuming) a solar power vendor at the National Rally in Goshen in June. I'm sure a properly equipped vendor could install a system in a few hours - and could probably line-up quite a few sales.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Very nice install! I really like the more streamlined fit of the semi-flexible panels and that you do not have to drill holes into the roof for brackets. What if a panel fails though and needs to be replaced, would you be able to get it loose without damaging the roof?

A heat gun will let you pull the tape. If you like the idea of a flat-mount, be sure to check out Jim's thin-film panel install. If you have the room, nothing could be simpler than those roll-em-out, peel-and-stick panels, and if one fails you can just slap another one on top of it.

Jim.Allison

I don't worry too much about failure of a panel. But hail worries me. They are now an integral part of the roof membrane and that will always have to be addressed if roof replacement becomes a factor. They are so incredibly inexpensive, that the problems is not that big of a deal although it would suck to have to address it.

A heat gun will let you pull the tape. If you like the idea of a flat-mount, be sure to check out Jim's thin-film panel install. If you have the room, nothing could be simpler than those roll-em-out, peel-and-stick panels, and if one fails you can just slap another one on top of it.

caissiel

I installed a 200 watt kit purchased on line in Montreal Quebec. It came complete with 20 ft wires and MPPT controler and remote display. Price $400.00.
The wires are very stiff but I was able to run then under the cap and beside the gray tank vent and down to the front of the basement about 3 ft from the 1 st battery. Had just enough wire, took it all with no left over. Had 2 more batteries connected with no 4 wires in parallel.
We have not used any power generator since the installation and the batteries are charged to 100% everyday.
We are of the bride most of the time we travel and before after 3 days my batteries would end up dead or weak and had to replace them after 2 years.
Just checked my now 3 year old batteries and the water level is good and they all are at 100% capacity.
Now we are in Florida and my observation is that the batteries are showing 59% capacity in the morning while continually charged by the converter and by noon they are at 100%.
No wonder I ran out of batteries when the converter only allowed 60% of charge when I travelled and could only use 10% of power before damaging my batteries.

Just in battery repacement cost will pay for the solar system. Plus I can leave the generator home and do not needa gas can. Having known what I know now, I should have done it much earlier.

Last edited:

bobca1

I will-called a 200 watt system directly from Renogy in Chino last year. http://www.renogy-store.com/

I have been very happy with it, as we dry camp often. I believe it was slightly cheaper than the price given at Amazon. Very nice people to deal with and you can will-call, or get free shipping. Trace

Thanks for the link! Lot of other options on their website. I like the looks of this one. Comes with a nicer MPPT controller and ability to attach a remote meter to it.
http://www.renogy-store.com/200W-Premium-Kit-p/kit-premium200d.htm

I am leaning towards rigid panels and the mounting brackets. Although unlikely I would need to do so, this way I can remove/replace if a panel stops working or gets damaged. Stick ons or taping would be easier to attach but then they are permanently attached to the roof.