Rear Hitch

Hunter11

Guess I will be asking our salesman this weekend if this could be added to a BC 3450TS if we order from the factory. We currently have a bike rack and two bikes that weigh a total of 130lbs and want to be able to take them with us on the road.

Wharton

Never knew that there is a converter available, actually never knew there was less than a 2" receiver. Live and learn....................Thanks

Wharton

I just did some light researching on the hitch adapter from 1.25" to 2". When you add this to your 1.25" you reduce the load capacity by 50%.

Does anyone know what the 1.25" load capacity is?

I would think we need to have a capacity of 200# to be safe.

jbeletti

I just did some light researching on the hitch adapter from 1.25" to 2". When you add this to your 1.25" you reduce the load capacity by 50%.

Does anyone know what the 1.25" load capacity is?

I would think we need to have a capacity of 200# to be safe.

I am seeking the capacity of the receiver hitch now. I am sure it will be pretty light. Probably less than 200#. What I would suggest is to check with the manufacturer of your bike rack to see if there is a 1-1/4" conversion for it.

I have a Hollywood 4 bike rack and bought it as 1-1/4" to use on a car. later, I wanted to used it on my truck and ordered through a bicycle dealer, a replacement piece to convert it to 2". Now I have a lot of flexibility.

That said, the bike rack that I use on my Heartland is a 2-bike rack by Swagman. They also make a 4-bike rack with a 1-1/4" receiver mount.

Here's mine:
64650a.jpg

jbeletti

Heartland Accessory Hitch Capacity - 250 lbs.

Okay - I heard from Lippert on this and here is what you need to know. There is a sticker that comes with the option. Not sure where it is affixed exactly.

The sticker says it all. Here's what is says:

*** WARNING ***

This is an accessory hitch, not made for towing.
Maximum capacity 250 lbs.

I do not know if using a 1-1/4" to 2" receiver adapter is an approved use for this hitch (probably not), but if you do use one, as forum member "wharton" found, please be sure to derate your max weight to 125 lbs to be on the safe side (adapter, hitch, bikes and locks in total).

Jim

Wharton

After posting the note this morning I did some more looking. We are currently moving from a Thule to our Hitch Haul. The Hitch Haul does not have the ability to use a 1.25", neither does the Thule.

We originally bought a 2" because that is what our car had on it and when we bought the trailer it came with a 2"(no option regarding that), hence we thought that the 2" was "standard".

Guess we will have the dealer put together a 2" for us.

My thoughts are that the smaller size and weight is due to the fact that the Lippert is bolted on and not welded. Even if we could get by with the 1.25" I think I would have it welded by a shop. You don't know what is going on behind you and I would rather be safe than sorry.

Delaine and Lindy

Rear Hitch .....

I for sure would go with a 2" receiver and it would be welded. Apples to Oranges ???? GBY...

Last edited:

caissiel

The way I understand it, this 1.25 hitch is good for 250#, as Lippert states.
The 2" adapter will reduce the 2" spec capacity to the 1.25" capacity, which again is still as Lippert states it 250#.
I have a bolted on bike rack, that I place on either the back of my trailer or truck 2" hitch for the past 12 years and never once did I had loose bolts. The rack hardly moves on the back of my trailer and truck.

traveler44

bike rack

Why is somebody with a different brand of rv commenting on questions raised on this forum. If I wanted to know what mobile suites or s.o.b. has or doesn't have then I would probably go to their site. Otherwise all I can see these comments are doing is confusing the issue. Tom

Hunter11

After a visit to the dealer this morning it looks like the BC has the brackets as well, or at least the two floor plans we are looking at did (3450TS and 3500RL). The salesman did say it was an option but he had no idea of the cost. We have the same Swagman bike rack Jim has listed in his post.

Wharton

To the best of my knowledge this website is not solely for Heartland Owners but for people who are considering a Heartland Product. That is where I am coming from. Everyone provides valuable input for each other. Maybe you are new to this site, but there are many people providing input to the site and there is no declaration as to what product they own.

We carry 2 bikes and at 125# the bike rack that Heartland provides is useless. The racks alone probable weigh 40-50# plus(you need to have a quality rack for the beating they take on the rear of a rig), add 2 bikes and you are very close to the max weight allowed with a 2" adapter. I prefer to have a better safety factor than that.

We also closely monitor the weight of our rig and try not to come closer than 500-1000# to the max. Again a safety factor.

babycampers

We have a 2010 North Country which doesn't have a built in hitch on bumper. We use a receiver that is made to clamp around the bumper which can be purchased just about anywhere receiver and hitch parts are sold. The problem with having a bike rack on the back of the trailer (types that hang bike rather than a tray style) is there is so much bounce at the end of the trailer that the handle bars can slam the rear wall of the trailer! We are considering adding a receiver under the front frame of our truck and carrying the bikes in front where we can also keep an eye on them. I also suggest not buying a clamping style bike rack that uses a plate that spans across the bikes (Swagman, Master Lock, etc.). Ours couldn't handle the weight of the bikes and we lost one on a trip (since we couldn't see it falling from behind the trailer! Yakima and Thule brands with individual straps for each bike are guaranteed for strength and endourance.

caissiel

The bikes on the rear of my trailer have been held with 2 little bungies each and never moved for the past 15 years. Its all in the TV setup.

jdfishing

Re: Heartland Accessory Hitch Capacity - 250 lbs.

I had a 2" receiver fabricated and welded to the back of my 2007 3055RL Bighorn for $350. I could not find any aftermarket add ons that could just be bolted on. There's not a lot of metal in the rear of my trailer to easily attach a receiver to. Use it for a bike rack (Swagman) and a 20x60 carrier. No problems so far. Sure beats the ladder carrier I had for the bikes.

Hello All,
If you want to add a durable and dependable receiver to your bumper, this is the website to go to. The hitch mount is from http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=prodetail&id=270&categoryid=65 and you can buy it online just about anywhere. It has a 350# max tongue weight and a 3500 gross weight. It will handle your bikes, or a cargo rack and just about anything else you can load on it. I don't sell them or advertise for them, I just know this is a good hitch. I had one on my old travel trailer and it was awesome. If you have a diamond plate bumber cover, then plan on cutting that to allow this to fit in. You can drill and rivet that back on with just a few pop rivets.

I hope this helps. I will be installing one on my new 5th wheel in a few weeks. We are getting ready for the summer and want to have the bikes with us all summer long.

Good luck to all.