Rear Receiver for Big Horn

sengli

I had the same issue. Have the 1.25" factory receiver on my big horn. Lost the bikes twice due to violent bouncing. Had the receiver removed, and re-enforced with more steel welded on it, and it still failed due to bouncing. Finally had a bolt on curt 2" receiver mounted on the front of our RAM and no more issues ever. The bikes dont seem to have any affect on cooling that I have noticed. Found out that all bike racks, in the fine print somewhere void their warranties if you attach to the back of an RV due to bouncing issues.

carl.swoyer

According to Jim Fenner at heartland the two inch receiver is to carry two bikes only. They feel any more than that will cause damage to the Rv chassis

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I would think that the bikes would get all covered with dead bugs when mounted on the front of the truck.

Our old 2013 Heartland Trail Runner had the slide-out rear bumper rack, which was great for carrying bikes, although it was a PITA tying them down (so much so that we rarely took them off when we got to our destination), and they did get dirty if traveling down dirt roads.

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg CheyenneMntSunset-IMG_2100.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

I've been looking for a solution for carrying bikes on our new Prowler . . .

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have a 2" receiver on my BH. Dealer welded it on. Carries 2 bikes without issue. However I do have a 1" ratchet strap crisscrossed to eliminate any movement of the bike rack in the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJC

retired Tennessee Chapter Leaders
You need to try one of these from Amazon...stowaway hitch tightener
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Nd1o34d5L._SY355_.jpg

I actually crisscross a ratchet strap but friends of our use the above bracket on their bike rack.

We have carried 2 bikes with no issues for thousands of miles using a universal 2" receiver hitch welded to the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001CMUV4...TF8&colid=20QK0MZ91L2EZ&coliid=I29Z631EJDST42

mlpeloquin

The only problem I have with a two inch hitch or that matter any hitch on the back of my Big Horn is the steel I beam is reduced to a C channel. Not very strong to add weight on the end. It could be beefed up, but then the weight of doing so.... Has anyone had problems doing this? Any pictures of the two inch hitch assembly? Welled or bolted?

jbeletti

The only problem I have with a two inch hitch or that matter any hitch on the back of my Big Horn is the steel I beam is reduced to a C channel. Not very strong to add weight on the end. It could be beefed up, but then the weight of doing so.... Has anyone had problems doing this? Any pictures of the two inch hitch assembly? Welled or bolted?

Mine is "bolted" to across the entire width (3") of the bottom of the I-beam. I agree - boxing the I-beam would make it a stronger substrate to bolt/weld a receiver system to.