Rear Stabilizer Jack Motor Not Responding to Rocker Switch

57chevyconvt

On the road again and having trouble with the rear stabilizer jack motor not responding to the rocker switch. Has anyone else had this problem? I suspect that the problem is the rocker switch. If so, the next question is where to find a switch, if that is the problem, in Rapid City, SD. Just arrived here this afternoon. Looked on Camping World and Tweety's website and couldn't find a replacement switch. BTW, replaced the 12v motor about a year ago, seen very little use since replacement. Will check this thread in the morning before scratching my head for anymore solutions. I don't believe that this jack motor's 12v power supply is fused or has an overload breaker.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Curious as to why you replaced the motor. Could it be that you are still having the same problem?
You may have a bad switch as you suspect or there could be a loose wire somewhere along the line. Maybe on the back of the switch.
The rear stabilizer on your Bighorn has an 8 amp breaker located on the Buss bar by the battery. Might be the top breaker in line.
I know that you are on the road now, but Heartland or an RV dealer may be the best choice for getting that switch.
Good luck with fixing it.
Oh, and since you are in Rapid City now it would be great if you could order up some great weather for us. We will be there on Tuesday.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Jim:
I would recommend looking around for a good, independent electronics parts store (not Radio Shack). You could also try a good Auto parts store. In a pinch you could get a toggle switch (it should be double pole, double throw, center off - Count the number of wires or terminals on the old switch - a DPDT will have 6 terminals, 4 wires, 2 jumpers. It will need a current rating of 20 amps or greater (whatever the circuit is fused at). The toggle switch can just hang loose until you get home and get the correct part from Heartland.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
You might look at THESE. JR Products supplies a lot of manufacturers with parts.

Best Wishes!

CactusTwo

It does seem like the motor is not lasting....you aren't trying to jack the rear end of the trailer up off the ground are you? Mine stopped once and it must of overheated....I was doing my "get her super level" thing once and it stopped, 5 minutes later it worked. I have since bent one of the outrigger arms on the rear jacks, so now I touch the ground pads, tighten my JT's and prop the front legs up to stiffen the rig

57chevyconvt

Dave,
Put in your order for some great weather! The weather is great here today, should be that way for your arrival on Tuesday.
Jim

57chevyconvt

Thanks for all the information. The motor was replaced under warranty by Heartland shortly after taking delivery of trailer, bad motor. Haven't gone through the volt check routine as of yet, will do that later today. Thanks of the switch information, that was great. Will check around at some of the RV dealers for a rocker switch before proceeding to the task of trouble shooting. I always try to stop the upward lift via the jack when I hear the first 'grunt' to hopefully prevent motor overload.
Thanks again, Jim

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We're in Custer SD and the weather is great here too.

Sorry I can't give you any help Jim.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
My front landing gear motors stop working, I sprayed the rocker switch with 'Electric clean' and that fixed it.

Sandpirate69

Check to see if your getting voltage to the switch, you may have blown a fuse. Your trip is faring better than mine a week ago. I had the fresh water tank crack, a leak in the UDC, strap to slide break, & my awning snap at the motors end & almost smack my wife in the face. Non were life threatening but a damperner on the trip. The only good thing is that it's still under warranty until June 5th & its at the dealer for repairs.

Good luck

DougAndJudy

Thanks for all the information. The motor was replaced under warranty by Heartland shortly after taking delivery of trailer, bad motor. Haven't gone through the volt check routine as of yet, will do that later today. Thanks of the switch information, that was great. Will check around at some of the RV dealers for a rocker switch before proceeding to the task of trouble shooting. I always try to stop the upward lift via the jack when I hear the first 'grunt' to hopefully prevent motor overload.
Thanks again, Jim

How long will you be in the Rapid City area? We'll be there on the 7th, and all day the 8th. We have a new replacement Heartland switch with us if you still need it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Jim, my rear stabilizer motor quit on me last year, right when we were packing up at the end of the season. I disassembled it and found the springs for the brushes were corroded and made from steel thinner than a red human hair. Cleaned up the inside of the casing and cut down the spring from a ball point pen to replace them. Reassembled it and it ran fine during my "bench" test. Put it back on this spring, after wrapping the "seal" where the motor fastens to the gear box with Rescue Tape, and it's working just fine. Them Made in India motors are not cheap, just cheaply made.

It's just a little tricky getting the two long assembly screws back in position because they pass by the two large magnets in the case. Just gotta fiddle with them a bit.

Duramax1

I had my rear landing gear motor replaced under warranty. The new one seems to be much more powerful than the original.

57chevyconvt

Doug,
Thanks for the offer of the rocker switch. We are leaving Rapid City, SD in the morning 6/5/12. I purchased a replacement switch that is for a slide motor. The new switch is rated for a higher amp load but its physical size is larger. Will have to modify the housing for it to fit, the wiring arrangement is a little different, but I think I can make it work. I also purchased a spray can of "electro clean" and sprayed the switch and it started working. I know somewhere down the road in the near future I will have to install the new rocker switch. I just need to have John parked next door at the next RV park to take care of all of my trailer repairs.
Sorry that we will not see you folks in Gillette for the Rally. Due to the timing of our travels and the Rally complex not accepting RV for the rally until next week, we decided to continue our travels toward our final destination of Alaska.

DougAndJudy

Doug,
Thanks for the offer of the rocker switch. We are leaving Rapid City, SD in the morning 6/5/12. I purchased a replacement switch that is for a slide motor. The new switch is rated for a higher amp load but its physical size is larger. Will have to modify the housing for it to fit, the wiring arrangement is a little different, but I think I can make it work. I also purchased a spray can of "electro clean" and sprayed the switch and it started working. I know somewhere down the road in the near future I will have to install the new rocker switch. I just need to have John parked next door at the next RV park to take care of all of my trailer repairs.
Sorry that we will not see you folks in Gillette for the Rally. Due to the timing of our travels and the Rally complex not accepting RV for the rally until next week, we decided to continue our travels toward our final destination of Alaska.

I'm glad you found a likely substitute switch. Especially as I realized I had a spare power cord reel switch rather than a stablizer switch. I ended up with it from having a sticking reel switch which I sprayed with WD-40. The switch stopped sticking and I never replaced it with the new one. Anyone need a power cord reel switch..... ?

Have a great trip to Alaska. We intend to get there some year.

57chevyconvt

Couldn't find a direct replacement switch, i.e., physical size DPDT as supplied by Lippert. Removed switch and took it apart to find one of the small springs that activates the rocker action of the switch was compressed more than the mating spring. Stretched the spring to be the same length as its mate. This fact explains why I had to rock the switch back and forth multiple time in order to make contact. Cleaned the points, lubricated the internals with dielectric grease, reassembled and the switch now works 'better than new'.
One important note: The rocker switch wiring diagram that is noted in Lippert's service manual for the Rear Stabilizer Jack is incorrect. This error gave me a real problem in trying to determine how to connect a slide rocker switch. I discovered the wiring diagram error when removing the wiring spade connectors to make the note repairs. The correct wiring connection to switch is that terminals 2 and 5 are connect to the motor, not 3 and 6 as noted in the Lippert wiring diagram.

jbeletti

Jim and Angy. Have fun in AK! Also wanted to let you know that for the Gillette rally, attendees are allowed to come in up to one week early. Dozens of us here already. It's not too late to register :)

57chevyconvt

Thanks Jim, but we are now in Calgary, AB on our way to Banff and Jasper to see the mountains and then on the long road to Alaska, we hope. Here is wishing all of you folks at the Rally some great weather and a great time together sharing. As my dad one said "Spitting and Whittling" in order to get all stories told around the campfire.