Receiver hitch for 3610re

exdwarfer

Have a 3610re ordered! Can hardly wait! I'm tired of lifting bikes in and out of our truck and would like to put a receiver hitch on the back of the new Big Horn to carry bikes, possibly a generator on occasion. Anyone have experience with this? Brands, costs, etc...

jimtoo

Hi exdwarfer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I am not sure, but you need to make sure a rear hitch can be put on your unit without voiding the frame warranty.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Exdwarfer, I have some limited experience with a rear rack. Jimtoo is right that it may void your warranty. I think that Heartland or Lippert stopped putting brackets on the frame for a bolt on reciever. Pretty wimpy, so just as well.
I copied a rack from fellow owner jnphobe. I fabricated the rack, then welded two recievers to the frame. One on each I-beam. It was strong and could support a bunch. The cost was about $250 for the steel, and my time. I sold that rig but saved the rack. I am waiting for a while before I put it on the new rig for warranty concerns. But it will be on soon.
If you need pics, just ask.
Just remember the warranty thing.

Peace
Dave

KL7j

Have a 3610re ordered! Can hardly wait! I'm tired of lifting bikes in and out of our truck and would like to put a receiver hitch on the back of the new Big Horn to carry bikes, possibly a generator on occasion. Anyone have experience with this? Brands, costs, etc...

I ordered our 3055 in August, the hitch was a factory option (albeit is not listed). It came out of the factory under waranty with the receiver option installed. Ask to have that put on your order. You can also get auxillary 12 volt outlets installed as an option. Also extra batteries installed are options from factory.

ChopperBill

The brackets are already welded on the new Bighorn frames. All you have to do is order the hitch from the dealer and bolt it on. It is for 1 1/4 hitches and I think it is around $110.

z-dog

Exdwarfer
We just took delivery of a 3070BH two weeks ago and we were looking for a hitch for our bikes. The unit we looked at on the dealer floor had the bracket for installing the hitch. But BH has now stopped making the frames with the bracket. So I think you will not be able to get the bracket on the frame from BH. I ended up ordering a Curt adjustable receiver online for around $230. Then had a local shop weld the receiver to the frame (they had to cut the upper part of the receiver bracket off and then weld the rest to the frame; worked out really nice). Cost $50 for the cutting and welding. If this voids the warranty I'll have to live with it. Can't imagine how it will change anything on the frame, but we will only be putting our bikes on the receiver. My dealer certainly didn't discourage me from putting it on either. So good luck with yours.
Chris