Reclaim antifreeze?

alanfred

Just a thought, I hate throwing money down the drain, pun intended. I would rather spend the $15 on a good Hefeweizen.

Tombstonejim

Your post makes no sense. Reclaim it for what? Under what circumstance?

If it's been in the engine 6 or 7 years it probably ain't no good anyway.

What you gonna do with it? Drink it.

GOTTOYS

I think he's talking RV anti-freeze here.I don't see any reason why you couldn't catch it in a jug and reuse it. I only need a little under 2 gals when I do mine. It's about $2.79 a gallon here. I would probably catch about 1/2 of it. Not worth the cost of one good beer for me to try and save it. So I don't, just figure it's the cost of doing business...Don

alanfred

Your post makes no sense. Reclaim it for what? Under what circumstance?

If it's been in the engine 6 or 7 years it probably ain't no good anyway.

What you gonna do with it? Drink it.

My post makes perfect sense, It's in the plumbing forum. :)

alanfred

I think he's talking RV anti-freeze here.I don't see any reason why you couldn't catch it in a jug and reuse it. I only need a little under 2 gals when I do mine. It's about $2.79 a gallon here. I would probably catch about 1/2 of it. Not worth the cost of one good beer for me to try and save it. So I don't, just figure it's the cost of doing business...Don

Don,

Here in OK, and some of the spots in Texas we visit, the temps get warm enough to take the BC out for a trip during the winter. However it can turn cold in a snap. I've been told it takes 2-3 gal to fill the lines of our 3690. It looks like a breeze, just hook up a short piece of garden hose to the city water connection, flip the selector to winterize, turn on the pump, and open faucets, and such and let the pink stuff flow. It's $4.98 a gal here in Norman, OK. Do it three times that's $50. Not too much work to save $50. $50 bucks is $50 bucks.

danemayer

It might be hard to reclaim pure antifreeze, without any water getting mixed in. After a few cycles, it might be somewhat diluted. Hard to know at what point you'd end up sorry instead of safe.

jnbhobe

or you could just park in the garage and turn the heat up

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

alanfred

You could blow the lines with an air compressor. They even make an adapter for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought about using compressed air, however the quality of air coming out of my compressor is something I'm not willing to put in the water lines, and I'm not sure it will remove enough water to keep from pooling in a low areas. This new BC does not have low point drains. I did some looking, not all RV Antifreeze is the same. Looks like Dow from the Home Depot is my best choice. The Walmart stuff (Super Tech) has ethyl alcohol listed as the first ingredient, I KNOW I don't want that in my water lines.

I do agree, if I decide to recover the antifreeze, it will dilute a bit. I guess I can test it.

ihsolutions

Not worth the risk of diluted antifreeze, IMO.

If you shop around you can occasionally get it for a deal. Menards had it a couple years ago for $1.49 I think. The good stuff. I bought three cases.

TeJay

I still have a problem with the taste left behind. I flushed with the stuff 15 years ago and swore that's I'd never do it again and I didn't. Always blew the air line dry and never had a problem. When we traded the MH for the first TT I was advised to not try the compressed air. So I didn't and I never got the bad taste out. I even tried the baking soda, and bleach. It was always in my coffee and it tasted awful. I don't use cream or sugar because I can't. So I'm back to using compressed air. A short piece of white water hose with a quick disconnect air fitting and an air regulator does the trick. Connect it to the city water hookup. I always start with very low pressure until air is coming out of all the faucets. Then I crank it up until I'm getting no moisture. A metal filter would collect any particles of dirt that might come from the air lines. Ideally one should take it for a short drive to get any water that is in low areas to move around then blow it out again. I've been told that I may get bit with this method but I'm willing to try to avoid the bad taste. Maybe a charcoal filter would get the taste out I don't know. It takes me about 30 minutes total time to blow the lines out.
TeJay

danemayer

I also use compressed air to clear the lines. Antifreeze in the traps and the washing machine drum.

Can't use antifreeze for the refrigerator's icemaker - have to use compressed air there.

rick_debbie_gallant

You could always winterized with some cheap vodka. In the spring open the faucets and get out the oj and tomato juice

oldmannj

You could always winterized with some cheap vodka. In the spring open the faucets and get out the oj and tomato juice

NOW HERE'S a man with 1 heck of an idea!!!! Why not use the good stuff and throw a couple of olives in the drains???

lwmcguir

Peroxide works better than anything else to get rid of the antifreeze odor/taste if you choose to use antifreeze as most of us do. We do use compressed air in our cabin so it should work just fine for the Camper as well as some do.

Sumo

Has anybody ever winterized with the RV Antifreeze, than drained it out before winter storage.
That should get all the water out of the lines. And not leave any aftertaste.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Has anybody ever winterized with the RV Antifreeze, than drained it out before winter storage.
That should get all the water out of the lines. And not leave any aftertaste.

I just run fresh water through the plumbing in the spring, after draining and air blowing the antifreeze out. Haven't had any "after taste."