Recommendation for travel trailer dolly

janiern56

We have a 2015 Wilderness 2550 RK and just got a 12' by 30' driveway installed on the side of our house. However, the angle is going to be very difficult to use our Dodge Ram 1500 to back it into the space. So we are going to buy a trailer dolly to move it around without the tow vehicle. We have not been able to find any locally and don't want to buy over the internet until we know what we want. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience since there are many types - crank, battery, electric? We know the electric ones run about $1400 but we are both seniors and would rather use that than stress ourselves with backing in.

P.S. This is my first time using the forum. I tried to attach pictures of the driveway but couldn't. Thanks for your help.

justafordguy

Not sure about the dolly but another option is to have a hitch mounted on the front of your truck. This makes moving a trailer into tight places much easier.

jimtoo

We have a 2015 Wilderness 2550 RK and just got a 12' by 30' driveway installed on the side of our house. However, the angle is going to be very difficult to use our Dodge Ram 1500 to back it into the space. So we are going to buy a trailer dolly to move it around without the tow vehicle. We have not been able to find any locally and don't want to buy over the internet until we know what we want. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience since there are many types - crank, battery, electric? We know the electric ones run about $1400 but we are both seniors and would rather use that than stress ourselves with backing in.

P.S. This is my first time using the forum. I tried to attach pictures of the driveway but couldn't. Thanks for your help.

Hi janiern56,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

After you make a couple more post the forum will allow you to post pictures.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

porthole

Retired

I have a Power Caster 3 I use for moving my boat and motorcycle trailer around. There are several similar type power jacks on the market. Some even rated high enough for 5th wheels.
This thing has a lot of power but it has it's limitations. First off, if you do not have enough tongue weight you will not have enough traction to move a heavy trailer.
And heavy, dual axle trailers are a bit difficult to make turns with.

I haven't had to do it yet, but I am prepared to remove the tires from the front axle of my motorcycle trailer if I have to make a tight turn with it.