Recycling oil into diesel

sdrubrecht

I realize this is probably a stupid question and a really bad idea, but is there an easy way to filter used oil and tranny fluid so that it could be dumped into the fuel tank instead of lugging back to a recycler?

2010augusta

Re: Recycling oil

Here is a How to I found with a quick search, I have not done this and have no idea if it really works or is okay for your truck.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4596315_filter-oil-make-diesel-fuel.html

1. Examine the oil that you are going to use for this project. Make sure it doesn't have any liquid contaminants you can see or smell. Some contaminants common in oil from engine damage include water and antifreeze. If the oil has either of these components in it, do not use it for this project.

2. Connect the 15 gallon container to the paint filter system so that the output of the filter goes into the container. Connect the filter system to the large funnel acquired for this project.

3. Slowly pour the used motor oil out of its container into the funnel system. Be sure not to overfill the funnel, and allow time for the liquids to process through the funnel and the filter, into the 15 gallon container.

4. Once you have filtered all of the oil in this manner for this container, discard the used filter. Disconnect the filter system from the 15 gallon container and measure the amount of oil using the markers on the side of the container.

5. Add the same amount of diesel fuel into the container as you have oil. For example, if the container now has 5 gallons of filtered used motor oil, then you will add 5 gallons of diesel fuel to the container.

6. Place the cap tightly on the 15 gallon container and begin mixing the diesel fuel and used oil mixture. A minimum mixing time of 15 minutes is required. If the solution does not appear to be completely mixed at this time, then it should be mixed for an additional 15 minutes. Repeat until the solution is completely mixed.

7. Add this solution to your vehicle as you would normal diesel. It is ready to go.

Read more: How to Filter Used Motor Oil & Make Diesel Fuel | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4596315_filter-oil-make-diesel-fuel.html#ixzz17H2rfJ9H

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

It might work for an old tractor on the farm but, at the risk of damaging my engine or fuel system and the possibility of loosing my warranty coverage because of it...I can see no reason to try this....Don

lwmcguir

Best way to recycle oil is to use it in a shop heater or give it to someone that has one. I would never put anything that didn't come from the refinery in even my oldest truck.

lwmcguir

There are some county shops doing that as well. Not me. Not worth the headache for a little over three gallons. There are minute particles of metal that pass though the filters as well as the potential for contamination to save hardly nothing if you value your time. Don't know what the cost of a good filter system would be but if you didn't go down to one micron or less you are living on the edge.

caissiel

I use to do it with my 6.5L before changing the fuel filter I would burn my filtered engine oil. others with old RAM and Fords have done it but at $100 fuel filters and $400 injectors I will not be that foolish.

hoefler

You don not want to do it if you have a newer diesel truck that has an EGR and or DPF. Definitely will plug up the system and will not be covered under warranty under the contaminated fuel clause.

sdrubrecht

Thanks guys for all the good info. I knew the forum would come through. I was curious more than anything else. I'm with caissel and GOTTOYS, to little to gain, to much to lose.

lwmcguir

Sounds like a really good thing to do if you lived in India and had a small diesel engine. Sure would hate to buy the truck that someone had done this with.

beardedone

Beardedone
If you take the time to price out new fuel injectors in the modern diesel (i.e. 6.7 cummins post 2003, about) then you won't ever think about it again. Ideally fuel should be filtered to 2 microns although some only filter to 5 microns. Even at 5 microns things can happen. I don't know what the OP is driving but at a rough price of $1500.00 each think what you are doing to the injectors. I will only use name brand, high volume dealers and I still have extra filtering down to 2 micron.