Refrigerator Problem Area

Dave49

I just got done with a 10 month tour of the good ole USA with my 2011 3670 Bighorn. Needless to say our temps this last summer was brutal. We left 1st of Aug. last year headed out west. Temps at time were well over 100 degrees, and for the most part mid 90's was the norm. We started having a problem of loosing about 8 degrees cooling temps in the fridge. Thought we had a problem but after talking with tech it all came down to just to dang hot. The fridge sits in a slide, and the top of fridge is just below the slide topper. My guess is that the outdoor heat is the culprit. due to the fact when the weather finally got cool we no longer had that problem. We just left FL. where it was getting hot once again and there goes the fridge temp up once again. I have come to the conclusion that anything in the high 80's and up will effect the fridge in a big way. I guess I should explain the normal temps we keep the fridge are 36*, when the weather sits in hot, the temps go up to 44 to 46.

So my thought is to figure out where I can get a temp activated fan and somehow mount it above the one thats already behind the fridge to help out. I haven't looked yet but maybe also look into some insulation above the fridge if there is enough room. Any info or already done that people please let me know.

Thanks
Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

I put in a 12 volt computer fan. It runs all the time I am thinking.about putting a remote switch onnitnthough

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
As Rick said, get a 12 volt computer fan....or two.
You can just tap into the existing 12 volt fan wires. The existing fan already is controlled by a thermostat.
It would be a good idea to add insulation at the upper part of the rear refer compartment.
Which refrigerator do you have? You may also want to install a baffle.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Dave 49:
I suggest you check this thread:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/29922-Solution-for-Refrigerator-not-cooling?

57chevyconvt

Dave,
Check the forum (general - appliance - refrigerators) for lots of good information that pertains to your problem. The temperature switch that energizes the two small aux. fans attached to the top condensing coil is normally set at 113*. In my opinion that is to high a temperature to assist in moving more air across the condensing coils, i.e., by the time these fans are energized the refrigerator is not going to recover to the desired temperature of 36 - 38*. You will note that most of the folks have added fans and baffles to assist air flow across the condensing coils. Good luck with solving your problem. Let the rest of us know what you do in order to solve your problem, that way we all learn from each other's experiences.